Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Nvidia configuration guide (Inspector + 2xx.xx drivers) version 2.0 + explanations of all settings

Dario,AF definitely shouldn't cause any kind of hit - that operation is pretty much "free" performance wise on any recent card. Don't have an explanation for you, sorry.

I fixed this issue with nVidia Inspector not forcing anti-aliasing in FSX after a few weeks of off-and-on messing with it. Know all I had to do?Disable DX10 preview in FSX. That's it. I never thought to mess with that setting, until I had to disable it to get texturing to show up on the PIC 737 I'd just reinstalled. When I disabled DX10 preview, voila, instant anti-aliasing. Go figure, huh? I guess I missed that somewhere along the line.
Yeah, DX10 mode does not support AA in FSX, that's widely known.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

On graphics cards here guys, what is the difference between nVIDIA GTS and nVIDIA GTX? I'm looking at building my own rig and I was wondering. Ryan I see you are saying it's all about the cpu.I have been up all night reading. I have found several great sites on the subject and pretty much have found out that cpu is definately a huge difference. I noticed this too when I upgraded the video card with my current rig. A Best Buy HP Pavillion 2003 vintage. Did not do a whole lot with performance.I noticed too that tweaks really helped more than anything. So I am with you on the cpu issue.I am looking at an AMD quad core 3ghz. My issue trying not to break the budget then is the card. That is why I am wondering about GTX vs GTS. If anyone knows.Oh another quick question. You mention DX10. Well these cards we are looking at are DX11. What are your thoughts on that Ryan if you would. Thanks.

Respectfully,

Jet

Dario,AF definitely shouldn't cause any kind of hit - that operation is pretty much "free" performance wise on any recent card. Don't have an explanation for you, sorry.
So weird. Been testing for hours, with different drivers and a number of different locations and weather configs in FSX. I does have an impact for me in clouds with x16 AF, but app controlled looks exactly the same, no more blurry or anything.I may try a fresh FSX installation as a last resort, but would be cool if someone else could give it a go too. I mean, 8xSQ FSAA is well worth the 5 minutes it takes to test it. Ryan, I know your 570 can handle 8xSQ regardless, but still

So weird. Been testing for hours, with different drivers and a number of different locations and weather configs in FSX. I does have an impact for me in clouds with x16 AF, but app controlled looks exactly the same, no more blurry or anything.I may try a fresh FSX installation as a last resort, but would be cool if someone else could give it a go too. I mean, 8xSQ FSAA is well worth the 5 minutes it takes to test it. Ryan, I know your 570 can handle 8xSQ regardless, but still
Hi Dario,My system exhibits similar performance characteristics under 8xSQ / 16x AF. For now I have dropped back to 8xS and the simulation is much smoother. Running 266.58s.

Ryan Kelly

Hi Dario,My system exhibits similar performance characteristics under 8xSQ / 16x AF. For now I have dropped back to 8xS and the simulation is much smoother. Running 266.58s.
Thanks for the feedback Ryan. Did you try setting AF to application controlled and the external limiter to 30 when you set your FSAA to 8xSQ? that worked for me.

Thanks for the feedback Ryan. Did you try setting AF to application controlled and the external limiter to 30 when you set your FSAA to 8xSQ? that worked for me.
Yes and that setting change seems to be working well in 8xSQ. I set external frames to 24, but I see that you have a bit more under the hood in respects to your CPU. Thanks for the tip!

Ryan Kelly

Yes and that setting change seems to be working well in 8xSQ. I set external frames to 24, but I see that you have a bit more under the hood in respects to your CPU. Thanks for the tip!
Glad to hear it worked for you too. Ok, so I'm not the only one. This is strange since it doesn't seem to come at the price of any IQ loss whatsoever, at least I can't for the life of me tell the difference between 16x & app controlled.As for the CPU, yours is really not that far behind, and in this particular scenario it doesn't make a difference since at 8xSQ + clouds the GPU is the limiting factor. 100% GPU usage in FSX #####? Am I delusional? :biggrin:Did I get it right and it worked for you in terms of FPS but it's still somewhat jerkier than 8xS? If that's the case that's exactly what I experienced, and playing with the FPS limiter did the trick. 40 seems to be my sweet spot, but 30 works well too most of the time

On graphics cards here guys, what is the difference between nVIDIA GTS and nVIDIA GTX? I'm looking at building my own rig and I was wondering. Ryan I see you are saying it's all about the cpu.I have been up all night reading. I have found several great sites on the subject and pretty much have found out that cpu is definately a huge difference. I noticed this too when I upgraded the video card with my current rig. A Best Buy HP Pavillion 2003 vintage. Did not do a whole lot with performance.I noticed too that tweaks really helped more than anything. So I am with you on the cpu issue.I am looking at an AMD quad core 3ghz. My issue trying not to break the budget then is the card. That is why I am wondering about GTX vs GTS. If anyone knows.Oh another quick question. You mention DX10. Well these cards we are looking at are DX11. What are your thoughts on that Ryan if you would. Thanks.
The GTS is Nvidia's "budget" range of cards - they aren't very powerful. I would still recommend getting a GTX460 or 560 Ti - they aren't that expensive and will future proof you. I'm willing to bet MS Flight has a DX11 engine that is more reliant on the GPU and you'll need the DX11 capability to run it. DX11 cards can run all the previous DX versions too, don't worry about that.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks for the info Dave, any chance of how to download limiter & set up details info.? Best Regards , Ray Griffiths.
Sorry for the very late reply Ray, if you haven't already got the limiter this thread will help.http://forum.avsim.net/topic/284947-fps-limiter/Dave

Excuse me please if this has been asked before, I didn't spot it! Can these changes be made "on the fly" or does FSX need to be restarted for any changes to be seen?

Excuse me please if this has been asked before, I didn't spot it! Can these changes be made "on the fly" or does FSX need to be restarted for any changes to be seen?
The FSX renderer needs to be reloaded to see changes. Easiest way to do it to switch from Windowed to Full Screen and back or vice versa.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

The FSX renderer needs to be reloaded to see changes. Easiest way to do it to switch from Windowed to Full Screen and back or vice versa.
Nice one, thanks Ryan!

Hi there,these settings are a great help, but i got a litte problem with them on fs9. everytime the atc window opens, my panel disapears until I close the ATC window again. Any advice how to get rid of the problem?

Hi there,these settings are a great help, but i got a litte problem with them on fs9. everytime the atc window opens, my panel disapears until I close the ATC window again. Any advice how to get rid of the problem?
What video card, latest driver?

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

What video card, latest driver?
didn't thought about the driver, updated from 260 to 266 and now it works.