Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Nvidia configuration guide (Inspector + 2xx.xx drivers) version 2.0 + explanations of all settings

Well the new driver works, but I cant seem to get inspector to do anything. It wont change any settings as I am now getting funny graphics in the ngx. Particularly the cockpit and the jaggered lines...

NVidia Inspector is now 1.9.6.5 and working for me with the latest 301.42 WHQL.

Now waiting for Tabs expert advice :Peace:

Cheers

Trevor Golding

NVidia Inspector is now 1.9.6.5 and working for me with the latest 301.42 WHQL.

Cheers

same here....all good

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Ty Ryan for your great great thread and for the suggestion you gave me short time back. I uninstalled my old 2x5870 and replaced with evga gtx 680.

Another world!

I setup my system as per this post and all is really great. I'm sure that with gtx680 I can achive also best results, but I prefere not to touch anything else - if not suggested.

There is a new version of inspector (1.9.6.4) that has more elements in sections AA/TF & General than the previous one. I enclose an image of it.

Suggestions for better performances are highly appreciated.

regards

Andrea

If you download and install nVidia Inspector 1.9.6.5, and the new nVidia drivers version 301.42 WHQL, please, give a try to this:

capturanw.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Note that the fps limiter in the nVidia Inspector is set to 0.

Then, inside FSX, set limiter to 30 fps. (Yes, it's OK, you need to limit fps in this way lol)

In your FSX.CFG file, make these changes:

[bufferPools]

UsePools=0

//RejectThreshold=131072

In the [GRAPHICS] section:

ForceFullScreenVSync=0

ForceWindowedVSync=0

Perhaps you'll get a new performance improvement, specially in smoothness...

Cheers!

Gerard Cabezón
Check my Youtube's Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Gerardius

Hello ,

Sorry but I am confused now between Tweaks (NickN , Ryan-******* , Word Not Allowed,...), I am on 2600K@4.5Ghz /580GTX with Win7 64 and Nvidia latest 301.42 driver.

Dear Ryan or other professional simmers , Could you please advice me:

1)BP=0 or RejectThreshold=131072

2)Shader 3.0 or not ?

3)What about Vsync? (I have 2 monitors and always on window mode and both are running on 60Hz)

4)External limiter (via inspector) or internal?

Thanks a lot

Hello ,

Sorry but I am confused now between Tweaks (NickN , Ryan-******* , Word Not Allowed,...), I am on 2600K@4.5Ghz /580GTX with Win7 64 and Nvidia latest 301.42 driver.

Dear Ryan or other professional simmers , Could you please advice me:

1)BP=0 or RejectThreshold=131072

2)Shader 3.0 or not ?

3)What about Vsync? (I have 2 monitors and always on window mode and both are running on 60Hz)

4)External limiter (via inspector) or internal?

Thanks a lot

Up to now, it was better RejectThreshold = 131072, instead of UsePools=0, but with the latest nVidia Inspector v1.9.6.5 and the 301.42 version of the nVidia drivers, it seems that things have changed.

Same for vSync and fps limiter. FSX limiter is now better than external limiter, such FPS Limiter 2 or the nVidia Inspector native limiter. It's crazy :LMAO:

Shader 3 is vital for users of ATI cards, but improvements for nVidia users are light. So, as you can install and uninstall it automatically, it is best to try for yourself if it convinces you.

Hope this helps in your questions.

Gerard Cabezón

Others more knowledegable will offer their views, hopefully, but you ask a somewhat unanswerable question, given the diversity of hardware running FSX. You simply have to start applying this advice conservatively and see how it works for your machine.

The good news is that NickN, Word Not Allowed, and Tabs here are converging on some common elements that make FSX run very well...the latest nVidia driver, the latest version of nVidia Inspector, using the internal FPS limiter (mostly), and trying the new driver setting "vertical sync at 1/2 refresh rate" (via nVidia Inspector) that has worked some wonders for me. They do differ in some of the details however...in particular, the bufferpools setting, the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION setting, and the TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT setting. I tried the everyone's advice on these settings and found what works best for me and my machine: a i5-2500K at 4.5GHz /570GTX rig with Win7 64 and Nvidia latest 301.42 driver.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

[bufferPools]

UsePools=0

//RejectThreshold=131072

In the [GRAPHICS] section:

ForceFullScreenVSync=0

ForceWindowedVSync=0

Perhaps you'll get a new performance improvement, specially in smoothness...

Gerard

I made all the changes described in your post in FSX, fsx.cfg, and Inspector. Everything seems to be smooth. I have one question. In the [bufferPools] do you have a line for PoolSize? I have one and the value is 8388608.

Thanks

Michael Cubine

Gerard

I made all the changes described in your post in FSX, fsx.cfg, and Inspector. Everything seems to be smooth. I have one question. In the [bufferPools] do you have a line for PoolSize? I have one and the value is 8388608.

Thanks

Michael Cubine

Michael,

If you assign UsePools=0, PoolSize doesn't matter, so FSX will ignore it.

I'm glad you have noticed better smoothness!!

Regards.

Gerard Cabezón

Michael,

If you assign UsePools=0, PoolSize doesn't matter, so FSX will ignore it.

I'm glad you have noticed better smoothness!!

Regards.

I just finished a KLAX-KSEA flight in the NGX with the settings as outlined. Pretty much the whole flight was either in clouds or above them. I have cloud coverage density set at 15 in fsx.cfg. So that's a big strain on the system. Between the clouds and KSEA in ORBX you would think something would break but everything was smooth.

Thanks

Michael Cubine

Guys,

I'm still trying stuff out and I'll probably write a big update to the guide later this weekend but I think I like this combo for full screen - this is sort of a modified version of what Word Not Allowed came up with a while back:

Inspector settings:

Antialiasing - Setting: 4xS

Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling : 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling

Vertical Sync - 1/2 Refresh Rate

(rest of the Inspector settings are as they were in the last update to my guide with the exception of the framerate limiter, which is disabled now)

FSX.cfg settings:

I'm still using RejectThreshold=131072

ForceFullScreenVsync=1

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1

FSX internal limiter - 28

Logic behind these settings (at least for me with a GTX570) - using 8xS tends to produce a rapid stutter for me in spot view when combined with the high res REX or AS2012 cloud textures. Lowering to 4xS stops this - there's a very slight increase in aliasing, but for me it's worth the tradeoff to get rid of the stutter. The 2x SGSSAA does a really nice job smoothing it out and stopping shimmering too. Putting SGSSAA up to 4x brings the stuttering back for me however - it makes sense because the SGSSAA setting is actually a bug of sorts from back when Nvidia first enabled it. It AAs the full scene when it was actually designed just to AA transparency/alpha-test textures. Nvidia "fixed" it and people complained because they liked the effect so Nvidia put it back in - in Inspector, the ones that are just called "Supersampling" are what SGSSAA was originally supposed to be - they only affect alpha-test textures. The ones labeled "Sparse Grid Supersampling" are the modes that AA the full scene. 4x is a huge increase in internal processing and memory demand for the card and that's what causes the stutters.

Setting the internal limiter to 28 instead of 30 exactly is a trick I've seen used with first-person shooter games where people will use the driver to limit their game (BF3, Tribes, whatever) to 58 or 59 FPS. The reason for this is that it ensures that every frame the video card sends to the monitor is going to get a full refresh cycle without any tearing (it also decreases input lag, which is a big concern in fast paced games). The limiters aren't 100% perfect and you'll sometimes see it jump slightly above the value that's been set - if you have 30 set, it could potentially jump above and cause some slight tearing, so I settled on 28.

I'm leaving RejectThreshold instead of using UsePools=0 just because the 570 has a tendency to spike and artifact with the pools totally disabled. With a 580 or 6 series card you're probably fine with UsePools=0 - the cards are powerful enough to handle whatever the CPU throws at them without the pools acting as a throttle on the data.

If you have a 680 or another really powerful card, you can try using 8xS as your main AA mode and possibly even 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I just finished a KLAX-KSEA flight in the NGX with the settings as outlined. Pretty much the whole flight was either in clouds or above them. I have cloud coverage density set at 15 in fsx.cfg. So that's a big strain on the system. Between the clouds and KSEA in ORBX you would think something would break but everything was smooth.

Thanks

Michael Cubine

You're welcome Michael. I'm glad it helped to you. I forgot to mention to add the sentence FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1

Anyway, wait for the Tabs update of this post to get the best.

Greetings

Gerard Cabezón

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1

I thought this didn't work on multicore processors.

"FIBER FRAME TIME FRACTION - With ANY multicore processor AFTER SP1 TOTALLY USELESS"

May 13, 2009 NickN

Thanks,

Mark

With these setting I have a beautiful graphics and no shimmering, but FPS dropped to 7FPS at SEA airport and max 15FPS during CRZ (very disappointed).

nvidiainspectorbestsett.png

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | Samsung G9 49" Curved Monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

Remove 8x sparse grid and see what happens.