Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Nvidia configuration guide (Inspector + 2xx.xx drivers) version 2.0 + explanations of all settings

Ryan, or any other Inspector guru,How come I have this "Compatibility" section in my Inspetor tool and what does it do?Nevermind - I just realized the screenies above are scrolled down a bit which hides this section....

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

thanks, do you also have to change settings in Global_Driver_Profile as in nhancer

Jose De Campos

London

thanks, do you also have to change settings in Global_Driver_Profile as in nhancer
No, it's not necessary - especially if you use your rig for other games. Just select "MS Flight Simulator..." in the profile box at the top and "Apply Changes" when finished.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

No, it's not. That was done with nHancer a long time ago because there was a bug in one of the drivers that caused the application profiles to stop working. I haven't seen that happen in several years now with any driver build. If you set the global options you're effectively forcing that one set of settings on any game on your system. These settings are not for any game, in fact they'll likely slow down anything that's really GPU dependent.
How does the 570 handle 8xSQ please? is there any performance hit at all in overcast skies?
It's good enough that I'm using it as my primary mode. There's always ways to slow the system down - I doubt that will ever change, it's just the way the engine was programmed.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

It's good enough that I'm using it as my primary mode. There's always ways to slow the system down - I doubt that will ever change, it's just the way the engine was programmed.
LOL, yeah, I know. I was talking about the card limitations in clouds + 8xSQ, not CPU limited conditions. The reason I ask has nothing to do with that argument, it's because 8xSQ actually looks quite better than 8xS, and it's not only an eye candy sort of thing.In the MD-11's cockpit with TrackIR for example, the jagging/shimmering of the displays is almost completely gone with 8xSQ and makes much easier to read stuff in the distance, even without freezing trackIR so I'm on the fence about this upgrade. In a test flight in LEPA + MD-11 + major thunderstorms + 8xSQ , I get 30+ FPS on the ground. They gradually drop to 20 as I get closer to the clouds.If the 570 can handle that with little to no performance impact I'm in for the upgrade. "Good enough" sounds good enough then, thanks, anyway sorry to be such a pest, but does ocing the card turn "good enough" into "more than enough" or something?

Tabs, your timing is impecable. I just went thru a little “day surgery” and replaced my HDDs with SSDs which involved a much needed clean sweep/install on my FSX system. So it came to the point where I needed to do the Inspector thing so I went naturally to your post and what did I find? Your latest installment with all my questions answered!!! IThe SSDs really add to the overall PC enjoyment. No noise, clicking, whirring, heat, defrags… but most of all everything happens almost instantly (almost). Pretty amazing to see how fast things load in FSX. No real FPS gains to write home about however. One of the biggest advantages of the SSDs shows up when you need to reload your installation. I redid my entire system extremely quickly and all the “This may take a few minutes” boxes were reduced to seconds. Can you or anyone else suggest a good weather engine for FSX. This is an area which I have neglected over the years. After upgrading to REX OD with the HD textures with the HD skies and clouds, I thought it might be a constructive avenue to pursue while waiting for a good aircraft to come due. What are most people using?

LOL, yeah, I know. I was talking about the card limitations in clouds + 8xSQ, not CPU limited conditions. The reason I ask has nothing to do with that argument, it's because 8xSQ actually looks quite better than 8xS, and it's not only an eye candy sort of thing.In the MD-11's cockpit with TrackIR for example, the jagging/shimmering of the displays is almost completely gone with 8xSQ and makes much easier to read stuff in the distance, even without freezing trackIR so I'm on the fence about this upgrade. In a test flight in LEPA + MD-11 + major thunderstorms + 8xSQ , I get 30+ FPS on the ground. They gradually drop to 20 as I get closer to the clouds.If the 570 can handle that with little to no performance impact I'm in for the upgrade. "Good enough" sounds good enough then, thanks, anyway sorry to be such a pest, but does ocing the card turn "good enough" into "more than enough" or something?
If you can (I know its hard to do), wait the 5xx round out. Skipping a cycle lets you spend more on future hardware. Buying the "value" card every cycle is more costly than waiting out a cycle and getting the "big one". If you can't wait, perhaps you can buy one (even if you RMA it), and do some solid scientific "Cloud performance" benchmarks a la SpiritFlyer's post on the 580. That way no would ever think you are a pest :( .I was about to pull the trigger on a 580 myself. After tweaking and tailering my fsx.cfg file, I discoverd a large jump in my 480's % utilization. In some scenarios, I see it hovering in the 90% range and sometimes pinned at 99% (PMDG 747, photo scenery at KSFO at 3-6000'). No real FPS gains on Final where we all need it but ... larger LOD, more AA, higher texture definitions etc. Makes YBBN (Orbx) very enjoyable. Highly recommend "FSX Go" by Orbx. Allows effortless and seamless lanching of FSX with tailored cfg files for every different class of flight.

If you can (I know its hard to do), wait the 5xx round out. Skipping a cycle lets you spend more on future hardware. Buying the "value" card every cycle is more costly than waiting out a cycle and getting the "big one".
That's a good advice, appreciate it Scott, and I may actually do that. How good is your 480 with 8xSQ please?About the weather engine most use (including myself) ... ASE

Just been checking out *******' cfg site. What's the best way of finding out whether you have hyperthreading enabled or not?

Ed Haslam

Just been checking out *******' cfg site. What's the best way of finding out whether you have hyperthreading enabled or not?
If you see 8 active windows when you open Task Manager Performance tab but your CPU only has 4 physical cores, that's a pretty sure bet it's on. You can use a utility like CPU-Z to tell for sure though.
Tabs, your timing is impecable. I just went thru a little “day surgery” and replaced my HDDs with SSDs which involved a much needed clean sweep/install on my FSX system. So it came to the point where I needed to do the Inspector thing so I went naturally to your post and what did I find? Your latest installment with all my questions answered!!! IThe SSDs really add to the overall PC enjoyment. No noise, clicking, whirring, heat, defrags… but most of all everything happens almost instantly (almost). Pretty amazing to see how fast things load in FSX. No real FPS gains to write home about however. One of the biggest advantages of the SSDs shows up when you need to reload your installation. I redid my entire system extremely quickly and all the “This may take a few minutes” boxes were reduced to seconds. Can you or anyone else suggest a good weather engine for FSX. This is an area which I have neglected over the years. After upgrading to REX OD with the HD textures with the HD skies and clouds, I thought it might be a constructive avenue to pursue while waiting for a good aircraft to come due. What are most people using?
An SSD won't improve your framerate, that's totally to be expected - FSX actually runs out of RAM, not off the storage device. What it should improve is texture streaming/blurries issues as well as load times like you noticed.For weather I'm using REX2 OD's textures with ASE SP2's actual weather depiction.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks, i'm running an i7 920 and there are 8 processes running in task manager, so that would suggest that it is on.

Ed Haslam

Hi Ryan Great postYou said: An SSD won't improve your framerate, that's totally to be expected - FSX actually runs out of RAM, not off the storage device. What it should improve is texture streaming/blurries issues as well as load times like you noticed.Actually FSX doesn't run out of RAM it runs out of "Virtual Address Space" which on a 64 bit OS using FSX SP2/Accel is 4GB - nothing to do with physical RAM.A couple of points:In FSX I actually always tick AA so that when I ask nVidia Inspector to override AA it has something to override is this false logic?In some planes in the VC eg A2A Cub, Flight 1 Mustang, Quest Kodiak you see "swimming" instruments and I have used 2 techniques to overcome this.The first has quite a hit on frame rates: This uses 4x or 8x Sparse Grid supersampling.The second still works and has little impact on FPS: AA transparency Multisampling - ENABLED and AA Transparency Supersampling set to OFF/Multisampling.In both cases I used AA 8xSQAny comments on vsync and triple buffering?ThanksPeterH

Hi Ryan Great postYou said: An SSD won't improve your framerate, that's totally to be expected - FSX actually runs out of RAM, not off the storage device. What it should improve is texture streaming/blurries issues as well as load times like you noticed.Actually FSX doesn't run out of RAM it runs out of "Virtual Address Space" which on a 64 bit OS using FSX SP2/Accel is 4GB - nothing to do with physical RAM.A couple of points:In FSX I actually always tick AA so that when I ask nVidia Inspector to override AA it has something to override is this false logic?In some planes in the VC eg A2A Cub, Flight 1 Mustang, Quest Kodiak you see "swimming" instruments and I have used 2 techniques to overcome this.The first has quite a hit on frame rates: This uses 4x or 8x Sparse Grid supersampling.The second still works and has little impact on FPS: AA transparency Multisampling - ENABLED and AA Transparency Supersampling set to OFF/Multisampling.In both cases I used AA 8xSQAny comments on vsync and triple buffering?ThanksPeterH
Peter,1. When I said "runs out of RAM", I meant that the FSX program itself executes from RAM and not straight off the storage device. I wasn't talking about out of memory errors there, just how the program actually runs. That's why using an SSD doesn't improve framerates.2. As long as the override flags are set, it does not matter if the box is checked or not in FSX - the driver takes over and ignores whatever FS is trying to do, whether there's AA selected or not. This is the same technique you'd use to get AA for an old game that doesn't even have an AA setting for instance too.3. Depending on your card, yes supersample transparency AA can cause a performance hit - I do not notice a visible drop with it on on my 570. My settings here are just suggestions, this is not necessarily the best possible way for everyone to set their cards.4. I personally run with Vsync off because I fly in windowed mode. FSX does use a form of triple buffering when in full screen mode and you can feel free to use Vsync if you fly full screen. It uses standard double buffering in windowed mode though and that can result in the framerate getting halved or worse at times. There is some slight tearing that happens with Vsync off, but I'm used to it and it doesn't bug me as much as the FPS constantly dropping does. If you really want to run Vsync in windowed, I'd suggest limiting your FPS to no more than 30 - it's very unlikely you'd be able to sustain the 60FPS that's the next level it can possibly run at with Vsync on. Anything lower than 60 is going to drop down to 30 or worse if you try to run at 60 with Vsync on.If you want to use Vsync, you should leave the driver set to "Let the application decide" and then add whichever of these lines you want to your fsx.cfg [GRAPHICS] section:ForceFullScreenVSync=1ForceWindowedVSync=1Credit to ******* Altuve on discovering this native way to turn Vsync on FSX - there's no need to force it through the driver.The triple buffering setting in the Nvidia driver only applies to OpenGL applications and has no effect in FSX, which is a Direct3D app.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Thanks, i'm running an i7 920 and there are 8 processes running in task manager, so that would suggest that it is on.
It should be on by default on a 920. It's common to disable it when overclocking - that's why ******* has that option there. HT creates a ton of extra heat and you can get higher raw overclocks with it off.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For weather I'm using REX2 OD's textures with ASE SP2's actual weather depiction.
So ASE tells FSX what the weather is by knowing your current location and FSX displays this weather based on the REX-OD texture themes selected?. I consider REX a must have. Would you say ASE is in the same catagory? How much "admin/tweaking" time is required? Overall comments anyone?