Sign in to follow this  
leeflet

Unable to install past InstallShield Screen

I am having a bear of a problem trying to install FSX Deluxe on a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Vaio laptop. No matter what I do, I cannot get past a blank InstallShield window - once I choose my install options, that InstallShield windows opens - no information in it - just black - and that's it. It just sits there until I kill the process. I have tried numerous ways to get around this - including copying the discs to a hard drive directory and trying to install from there, rt-clicking the exe files and running as administrator (although the user profile has admin rights), disabling my firewall (PCTools), disabling Windows security settings, and other things - and have spent several hours just trying to get past that simple screen.I am getting quite convinced that FSX Deluxe will simply not install into Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Has anyone been able to get that to work???

Signature.jpg

SolvedWell it seems the problem may be more generic than I originally thought. - having to do more with a faulty InstallShield engine in Windows 7 than with FSX itself. I've been all over the globe with this problem, and to ensure that my utter frustration is not wasted solely on myself, I offer here the solution that finally worked so hat others can benefit.Since my last post, I tried deleting temp files from Windows/temp directory and my internet temps as well, ran CCleaner and fixed the registry, etc, etc.What ultimately worked was monitoring the task manager for duplicate processes. I did in fact kill dupes previously (isbew64.exe and idriver.exe*32), but at the freeze I noticed there were about 5 or 6 incidents of vcredist_x86.exe*32. When I killed all but one of those, the install suddenly came to life. Fortunately, this issue was only on insertion of disc 1. Inserting the second DVD install disc at the prompt went smoothly.

Signature.jpg