Sign in to follow this  
Guest mda

Improve performance ?

Guest hardhit

Hello All,I'm wondering if you guy's could help me out.Would my performance (FPS) increase seriously (currently my FPS range from 4 - 30) if I would go from my current videocard Nvidia GF4 TI4400 128mb 4x AGP to a Radeon 9800 pro or XT with 8x AGP ?My system is the following.CPU : AMD 64 3200+Mem : 1 Gb Kingston 3200 ramHD : 120 gb IBM harddriveI welcome all reactions.Regards,Peter

Hello,With 1 Gb Ram, you should try to remove the Virtual Memory (Page file).I did and it is positive, less disk accesses

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Peter,I've replaced a Nvidia GF4 TI4200 64 MB by a Radeon 9800 pro 128 MB a couple of weeks ago and I'm very disappointed. None to marginal improvements in FPS and quality compared to the GF4 adapter. From my point of view it's not worth the money.I installed the OS from the scratch beginning with fdisk to ensure that there are no fragments or references to NVidia drivers, but no significant improvements. CS727 on the runway at KSEA gives about 13 FPS (most of sliders 2/3 of max) and I could not get rid of the zigzag contours.TomP4 2.0 GHz1 GB RAM120 GB ATA100 HDDRadeon 9800 pro 128 MB WinXP pro

Go into the task manager and shut background programs down that you do not need. I even go so far as to turn off the Explorer. Then I start up FS9 by cicking File-New Task, then turn off the Task Manager.I find this Helps a lot. When you are done with FS go back into the Task Manager and start up explorer.Works well for me.

Guest cwra6

I am guessing you will see some improvement. I went from a TI 4200 to a Radeon 9700 Pro and saw real improvement. Smoother, faster, better looking. I doubt you will be disapointed. Note on the page file - XP will automatically create a page file for windows functions even if you tell it not to. There is a fix for this but I don't have the stomach for it.

That is really, really depressing that you have a 64 bit athlon 3200 with a gig of PC3200 DDR and you get bad performance, I wish someone would figure out EXACTLY why high end machines have a problem running this sim, it makes no sense! I am running an XP3200 with I gig high end DDR and a g4 4600 and it runs great. if I had problems like many of the users with high end systems have had getting this running ,I would have stopped simming, ridiculus.I hope you get it going good, I really do!Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest k2kwr

Hi end machines like low end machines need to be setup (tweaked) for best performance following the advice given in the posts at the beginning of this forum. IMHO all sliders to the max on a hi end machine should give high fps is not necessarily so. There are a lot of variables between similar computers, not the least of which are the operators. Our perceptions do not always put us on the same page when tweaking. Careful reading and re-reading of tweaking advice will usually result in satisfactory flying performance when applied to ones computer.Happy Flyin' - Ken

Guest mda

It IS all about the tweaks for FS9. I bought a radeon 9800 pro and when I first loaded FS9, like Tom, I was disappointed. I tweaked and tweaked and now I can hold 30-40 FPS on the biggest FPS killers which includes PSS 330, PMDG 737. I am VERY pleased with my performance now. I went back to FS2k2 and loaded PSS dash8 (another frame killer) and got over 100 FPS. In addition, I find it is the real weather that will kill ya in FPS. I spent 550 CDN on the 9800 pro and I think it is well worth it considering how much I use FS and other games. I would recommend buying it from a place that will let you return it if you didn't like it. But remember, it is not just plug in play. YOU AHVE TO TWEAK, or the best of computers will not experience the high FPS. BTW when I say I get 30-40 FPS on fs9, that is with the sliders on Ultra High and even a couple more sliders moved higher.