Sign in to follow this  
ricky76

couple of cool Iphone/Ipad apps

Found these on the itunes app store. kinda pricey at 19.99 but might be kinda coolhttp://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/ipilot-b737ng-aircraft-study/id325386420?mt=8http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/ipilot-b777-aircraft-study/id339251520?mt=8I may try rhe 737ng one and give it a try and report back my oppinion on it. hey, its only 20 bucks right? :(

Guest acezboy561

Another cool one is the FSWidgets iGMap - im finishing up my review of it, here at AVSIM. Its a great little tool for your iOS Device and/or Andorid Device.http://fswidgets.com/shop/products_new.php

Another cool one is the FSWidgets iGMap - im finishing up my review of it, here at AVSIM. Its a great little tool for your iOS Device and/or Andorid Device.http://fswidgets.com/shop/products_new.php
Yeah that is a cool app for sure!! I wish I had an Ipad though, Be easier to see. lol

Guest acezboy561
Yeah that is a cool app for sure!! I wish I had an Ipad though, Be easier to see. lol
I had both versions for the review, but the photos represent the iPad as it was bigger and I did prefer the iPad. Im just lucky I got an iPad for free - but was for the wrong reasons and should of happened awhile ago and not for sorrow reasons. Try the iPhone version, its great - but IMHO I think they are a bit overpriced, do not get me wrong its fantastic but for a celluar app - $10 or more is expensive...

I had both versions for the review, but the photos represent the iPad as it was bigger and I did prefer the iPad. Im just lucky I got an iPad for free - but was for the wrong reasons and should of happened awhile ago and not for sorrow reasons. Try the iPhone version, its great - but IMHO I think they are a bit overpriced, do not get me wrong its fantastic but for a celluar app - $10 or more is expensive...
Free Ipad? good score!! I have the Iphone version of gmap. I love it. I may have to get an Ipad. I love the fact you can put all your VNC's TAC'c SIDS/STARS ect on it and be able to put it on like a knee board or mount it to a cockpit set up like the EFB in the t7's!

Guest acezboy561

Wait for the 'iPad 2' thats due to be annouced at the next Apple Press Conference - though Steve Jobs has applied for medical leave, and the news isn't good - people think its terminal (that MAY or MAY NOT be true, that is the rumor going round). <br>

Ipad 2? Man this technology is moving wayyy too fast for me. Steve Jobs is sure having a tough go these days eh? Hope all works out for him.

> for a celluar app - $10 or more is expensiveThat would be true Aidan, if the market were a typical iPhone/iPad general-user market where *many thousands* of copies are sold. However this tiny FS genre is not anywhere like that (the app is of no interest to anyone without a sim). Take that $10, subtract $3 (Apple's chunk) and then divide the remainder by the number of developers in the team (in our case 2). Oh, and don't forget to pay the $10,000 in setup costs - the development Macs, iOS test devices, developer tools and the month-by-month server side costs (not to mention the hundreds of development hours). I can assure you of one thing, if the price had to be $1 or even $5 then iGMap and iGMapHD would never have seen the light of day, to do it would have been a pointless and soul-destroying exercise.

Fermin Fernandez
FSWidgets & TweakFS Developer
Melbourne, Australia (UTC+10)
FSWidgets  logo.png

Another cool one is the FSWidgets iGMap - im finishing up my review of it, here at AVSIM. Its a great little tool for your iOS Device and/or Andorid Device.http://fswidgets.com...roducts_new.php
Hello Aidan.I agree iGMap is really great - but it doesn't accept PMDG .rte files. Maybe your review could encourage FSWidgets to do the right thing!? (I just made the same point in another .rte post here - so apologies for duplication: only now seen this thread ...)Best wishes,David

Guest acezboy561

Hi David-Im actually just fixing the review as we speak, packaging it up to be sent to the ReviewsEditor on the 31st (when he returns from his holiday - hence the lack of reviews published!). I do not have any PMDG aircrafts (yes, I know, how shocking!! - but will with the 737 from there on), so I could not test that out, it also makes me need to go over a certain section as I did not think about other files as I used the Aerosoft Airbus X which uses the FSX flight plan. But I did metion how cool it would be for an aircraft with LNAV to use with the iGMap.I will add this into my review and edit it, thanks for that feedback! Would of been embrassing for what I said!

Hi David,I notice you voiced a slight frustration in your other post that iGMapHD does not accept the PMDG .rte file. Keep in mind that just changing the extension to .pln as you tried to do will not work as the file structure is very different and the data needs to be extracted in a different way.I can see you would really like to have .rte support and as I mentioned in my email to you last Wed we will work on that for the next update, because you requested it. However, please don't suggest we are not doing the "right thing" by not having .rte file support off the bat. There are many different plan file formats out there but our focus initially was to support native FSX, FS2004 and X-Plane formats first, and then we will add support for other formats in subsequent releases.

Fermin Fernandez
FSWidgets  logo.png

Hi David,I notice you voiced a slight frustration in your other post that iGMapHD does not accept the PMDG .rte file. Keep in mind that just changing the extension to .pln as you tried to do will not work as the file structure is very different and the data needs to be extracted in a different way.I can see you would really like to have .rte support and as I mentioned in my email to you last Wed we will work on that for the next update, because you requested it. However, please don't suggest we are not doing the "right thing" by not having .rte file support off the bat. There are many different plan file formats out there but our focus initially was to support native FSX, FS2004 and X-Plane formats first, and then we will add support for other formats in subsequent releases.
Hi Fermin,Thanks for your post in reply. It was good of you to respond quickly here and in our earlier email exchange outside the forum.My sincere apologies re "the right thing". Just shows how British English can get you into trouble on a global forum!! By right thing, I really only meant the desirable thing. So allow me to correct any misperception here: of course, it's not possible to accommodate a single user's request right off the bat. My thought was only to encourage other PMDG users to express their support and interest in your excellent app.Best wishes,David
Hi David-Im actually just fixing the review as we speak, packaging it up to be sent to the ReviewsEditor on the 31st (when he returns from his holiday - hence the lack of reviews published!). I do not have any PMDG aircrafts (yes, I know, how shocking!! - but will with the 737 from there on), so I could not test that out, it also makes me need to go over a certain section as I did not think about other files as I used the Aerosoft Airbus X which uses the FSX flight plan. But I did metion how cool it would be for an aircraft with LNAV to use with the iGMap.I will add this into my review and edit it, thanks for that feedback! Would of been embrassing for what I said!
Hi Aidan,Thanks for your acknowledgement.As you see, I needed to explain myself a little to Fermin - all in support of iGMap ... and respecting FSWidgets's understandable point that they need to prioritize updates in a rational way.Best wishes,David

No worries David, .rte support is already being looked at as we speak and I may even have a converter to use initially.

Fermin Fernandez
FSWidgets  logo.png

No worries David, .rte support is already being looked at as we speak and I may even have a converter to use initially.
All great news. Thanks!David