Sign in to follow this  
Pete S

Looking for advice

I'm getting ready to build a new Sandy Bridge system for FSX.Will use the i7-2600k CPU, ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Mobo, but not sure which Video Card! I do know I want to go with a nVidia GTX card. I'm trying to decide on whether to go with the EVGA Superclocked GTX570 or a GTX580. From everything I've read the FSX depends on CPU power more than the GPU, so is the GTX580 really necessary considering it'll cost me about $150 more? Anybody have any thoughts on this?Pete S.

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

Hi Pete,Personally, I would grab the P8P67 Pro motherboard (almost same functionality, but a fair bit cheaper), and get the GTX580. What are your full specs, as FSX is more than just CPU and GPU. What are your HD's, RAM, Cooling, Case etc?

Any reasons why you tink that the GTX580 is worth the extra $150? I am mainly going to use this system for FSX, nothing else that is "graphically Challenged". I am presently running my FSX on a GTX295 on an E8500 system, but I want a better, smoother performance. I already have the P8P67 Deluxe and the i7-2600K ordered. I was going to get the Pro, but it was out of stock everywhere, and by the time I found one on line the price difference wasn't that big, plus I like the extra USB3 front mount accessory box that only comes with the Deluxe. The biggest price difference is the Video card 570 vs. 580.As far as the rest of components, I am reusing what I now have:Cooler Master "Stacker" Full Size Tower. (Lots of room and lots of cooling fans)Cooler Master V6 GT CoolerCorsair 850w Power Supply8G of GSkill Ripjaws 1600 RAMWD VR 10,000RPM 150 GB HDSeagate Barracuda 1 TB HDSamsung 32" 1080P Monitor/TV running at 1920 x 1080I am not planning on any radical overclocking, maybe just a mild one. Pete S.

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

I wouldn't buy a 580 for FSX. If your PC budget is large and you feel like you must have the best go ahead and do it. Otherwise save your money and get a 570. Maybe put the difference towards an SSD or water cooling.

I wouldn't buy a 580 for FSX. If your PC budget is large and you feel like you must have the best go ahead and do it. Otherwise save your money and get a 570. Maybe put the difference towards an SSD or water cooling.
My sentiments exactly, I think I would rather go for a larger WD VR HD. The SSD prices are still too steep! Not sure I really need water cooling!Also, the minute I go out and buy the "latest & greatest" a "later & greater" version comes out! Pete S.

Pete S.

I'd certainly look into a better cooler than the V6GT. It isn't the best, and certainly not the cheapest. I'd look at the Noctua NH-D14, Corsair H50 or even the Corsair H70.

I'd certainly look into a better cooler than the V6GT. It isn't the best, and certainly not the cheapest. I'd look at the Noctua NH-D14, Corsair H50 or even the Corsair H70.
Thanks Alex,Newegg is combining the i7-2600K with the V6GT (both retail boxed) and giving a $28 discount on the package, which makes the price of the V6GT very reasonable. I don't think I could beat that deal! I've used the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, in the past with excellent results, so I decided to go with the V6GT. Like I said earlier, I don't plan on any radical overclocking so this cooler should work just fine.I went ahead and ordered the components this morning.Hopefully I'll have them all in about a week (Amazon is not as fast as Newegg!), assemble the system and be ready to test it!Thanks for the input,Pete S.

Pete S.