Sign in to follow this  
Guest RonB49

Problems with distorted voice and sound in FS9

Guest 737pilot

Hello,I have a problem with sound in FS9 (sometimes it also occured in FS2002).If I change view, for example from "cockpit view" to "spot plane view", and back, then the voices become distorted. The speed of the sound becomes slow, so that the voices become deep and sound like they are spoken by a robot or a monster. The more I change views, the worse the voices become. Eventually it becomes impossible to hear what ATC is saying, and I exit Flight Sim.Is the only solution to buy a new sound card, and which one should it be? Or is there another way? I have already tried to set the ActiveX sound to medium. Any other ideas?My system: Windows XP on AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1.5 GHz), 512 MB DDR RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro.Thanks in advance,Nico

I'm using the following system and had the exact same problem:P4 2.4 533FSBGeForce FX 5200Creative Audigy 2 ( preiviously Creative 5.1)512 DDRUntil I bit the bullet and purchased the Audigy 2 I had severe problems especially when using ATC within FS9 and in heavy 3D clouds.After swithching to the Audigy 2 I have had no problems.Contrary to what the one response indicated you have plenty of RAM.C. Evansftd1949@cox.net

Guest 737pilot

And that means...?If 512 MB RAM is too little (FS2004 requires only 128 MB minimum), then there would be quite a lot of people experiencing the same problems with the sound.I also suspect some error in, or conflict with, Media Player. Does that make sense? I use Media Player 8. But all those voices are wav files; no big deal?Nico

Guest 737pilot

I just replied to the other guy, then your reply showed up.Thanks very much for the tip ;0)Nico

Guest Acrylhead

I experienced the following:If I am running FS9 after a fresh start of my PC there are no problems, but if i have programs running in the backgroud like word or photoshop or if i am using a ram-intensiv addon (like PMDG 737) my sound gets distorted too (when switching views). I can correct this by pressing "Q" twice, but sound remains normal only until i switch views again.Ergo, i think its ram-related.Hope i could help.PS: i have "only" 348 megs ram running a Celeron 1.4 GH

Guest 737pilot

Until I get a new sound card, I will try your suggestions. Thanks a lot for the help!Regards,Nico

In addition, try this:hit start button/run, type in 'dxdiag' and enter. When the directx diagnostic tool is up, go to the 'sound' tab and look for the hardware sound acceleration slider - move it up or down depending on where its set now, exit (the new setting is saved) and see if it helps. You may have to experiment for a while but I've used this to great effect on other systems (I think I actually turned it off on a system with a poor sound card)hope this helps:)regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

Guest RonB49

I agree with Mark. Set the DirectX sound acceleration slider to "Basic" before you spend money on RAM or a new audio card. If it doesn't fix the problem, you haven't wasted anything excect a few minutes of your time. R-BTW -- This tip fixed my sound problems in both FS2002 and FS2004. R-