Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Starting engines after a quick stop

Hi! Thanks for a great product. J41 is my favorite small-to-medium prop in fsx, however Im having some troubles starting her up. I usually dont have any problems starting her up for the first time. My problem kicks in after a small stop with shutting down the engines. When I start them up again, they burn. Im thinking maybe it's the shut down procedure that I'm doing wrong. Here is what I do:- engage the ground power outside, and on the overhead- Press stop on both engines- click the two latches behind the condition levers- bring the condition levers all the way back- wait a lil bit and do whatever it is that I came here to do :)- unlatch the buttons- bring the levers back to taxi- set throttles full reverse- unfeather both props- stb fuel pumps on- cabin and cockpit air off- check props are unfeathered- set throttles to idle- left gnd air on- press start left engine- egt and rpm spools up for a couple of secs, and then the engine catches fire...What is it that Im doing wrong? And could someone post a proper way to shut down the engines?Thank you very much :)

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Hi, to proper shutdown the engines, see in the Pilot's tutorial, page 93 Chapter Taxi and ShutdownTo ensure the restart of the engines see the Pilot's tutorial, page 57 ensure EGT is below 200 degrees.Happy restarts !!

Hi, to proper shutdown the engines, see in the Pilot's tutorial, page 93 Chapter Taxi and ShutdownTo ensure the restart of the engines see the Pilot's tutorial, page 57 ensure EGT is below 200 degrees.Happy restarts !!
Thanks alot, Trobador! :)I found the taxi and shut down part of the tutorial which you mention, but the part about egt having to be below 200 degrees escaped me. A tricky bird she is ;)AndreasBy the way - is there a way to safely start hot engines? I notice there is a 60% value on the ground air switch - what is it for?

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Chapter 3 of the manual:1. An engine start must not be attempted if the residual EGT is greater than 200°C. A ventilation run may be continued directly into a manual engine start when the EGT has decreased to 200°C, or 15% RPM is reached, whichever occurs first.2. The maximum permissible EGT during a start is 770°C.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks guys. Just a few more questions:1. What is a ventilation run?2. What is the 60% position on the air knob on the overhead panel for?
1. I'll have to get back to you on the process of the ventilation run, as the only other information about it was that the maxima for a ventilation run are:-15 seconds; or-15%, whichever comes first2. All of the extra buttons/knobs are for manual starting of the engine.This is a very good resource for all engine-related questions/procedures/etc:http://www.smartcockpit.com/pdf/plane/bae/JETSTREAM-41/systems/0007/

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks guys. Just a few more questions:1. What is a ventilation run?2. What is the 60% position on the air knob on the overhead panel for?
A ventilation run is when you run the engine stater with the associated condition lever in feather/cuttoff. This will prevent fuel from flowing to the engine, but allows you to effectively blow air through the engine. It allows you to decrease the engine temperature much faster than simply letting it sit.

Joe Sherrill