Sign in to follow this  
anakletor

Color banding

Hi,My FSX is suffering from some terrible color banding when flying at night. It affects both ground textures and aircraft models. I have checked that both FSX, Windows7 and my video card are set to 32 bit and I have tried to adjust my monitor's brightness, contrast and gamma without luck. I have googled a lot and I know it is a known problem with no good solution, but I have the feeling that this is something new to me. I can't remember having these issues earlier. I have not made any drastic changes to FSX lately and neither installed new addons.Anyone know some solution to this problem?Thanks!

Hi,My FSX is suffering from some terrible color banding when flying at night. It affects both ground textures and aircraft models. I have checked that both FSX, Windows7 and my video card are set to 32 bit and I have tried to adjust my monitor's brightness, contrast and gamma without luck. I have googled a lot and I know it is a known problem with no good solution, but I have the feeling that this is something new to me. I can't remember having these issues earlier. I have not made any drastic changes to FSX lately and neither installed new addons.Anyone know some solution to this problem?Thanks!
Here -> http://www.simforums...html?KW=#199397Hope it helps.VicAddendum: remember to read throu the thread and do not miss nick's post(posted april 29,2010: tat 8.41pm)

I have read that post. I believe my problem has more to do with banding/dithering than with calibration issues. I am starting to think that I should have invested in a better monitor. This one (Samsung Syncmaster 2443) certainly has a good resolution (1920x1200) and response time, but I am afraid it is not a 24 bit monitor as they claim. I have an Eizo 21" monitor which I paid more than 3 times more than for the Samsung 24". The difference in color quality is abysmal and FSX shows no banding/dithering whatsoever on the Eizo. I will have to live with it till I can afford a better one, hopefully an Eizo 24". Or I can just fly during daytime since the banding only shows at night.

I have read that post. I believe my problem has more to do with banding/dithering than with calibration issues. I am starting to think that I should have invested in a better monitor. This one (Samsung Syncmaster 2443) certainly has a good resolution (1920x1200) and response time, but I am afraid it is not a 24 bit monitor as they claim. I have an Eizo 21" monitor which I paid more than 3 times more than for the Samsung 24". The difference in color quality is abysmal and FSX shows no banding/dithering whatsoever on the Eizo. I will have to live with it till I can afford a better one, hopefully an Eizo 24". Or I can just fly during daytime since the banding only shows at night.
Calibration can remove/reduce bandings. if you have a puck you could download basiccolor(trial version) and calibrate your monitor and see if the problem goes away, if it does you can buy the software ?My 0.2Vic