Sign in to follow this  
Planeblogger

Flightsim slowly turning into a slideshow

Hey guys,When I fire up my sim for a flight on Feelthere's E195 for Münich-Barcelona for example, with broken cloud cover, directly after loading FS I have about 14-16 FPS.Which is reasonable, considering:-my rigCore2Duo E8400 @ 3.8GHzNvidia GTS250 512MB OC4GB OCZ RAM500GB 16MB-cache 7.200rpm HDD with Win7 Pro500GB 32MB-cache 10.000rpm HDD with FS9.1-my addonsAerosoft Münich 2010Feelthere E-jets v2 (SP2)AESUltimate Terrain EuropeFSGlobal 2010ActiveCamera 2004Real Environment Xtreme for FS2004 + OverDrive (DXT3 textures)ActiveSky Evolution (through WideFS on Asus EeePC)ALL AIG and RATS flightplans for AI installed, with shared lightmaps and all textures in DXT3 without MIPS.-my settings8xS Combined AA16x AFTrilinear filtering1680x1050x32 resolutionBUT:As time goes on, and my pax are boarding my aircraft, more and more FPS drops. After 20-30 minutes, I have only 6-8 FPS left which makes my flightsim practically useless. So by the time my aircraft is set up and pax are strapped in, flying is simply not possible any more and I have to cancel the flight due to technical problems with the aircraft. (or rather, the PC that is simulating it)When I fly an aircraft like the lately released F-86 Sabre, with extremely detailed external model and VC, no matter what weather conditions I choose and at which airport I fly, I have steady 24,9FPS (locked 25). Which makes me suspect it's something with the aircraft. I understand the E-jet is heavier due to its advanced systems, but why do the FPS decrease with time?I am 100% positive my AI is in perfect order and there are no missing or corrupt textures, effects or models whatsoever. What could be the culprit of this? I suspect that with the above written specs, my PC should be easily running FS9 close to 20FPS in this scenario, no?I hope you guys can help me!Rgds,Erik Brouwer

I would sure check what "other" services or applications are running besides FS - a virus scan, indexing, updates - that sort of thing - which are robbing you of resources when you fly.Possibly that is happening coincidentally when you fly that particular aircraft etc. - but it could happen with any aircraft and/or at any time.Perhaps a starting place to troubleshoot the issue anyway.

Eric, I recommend installing Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com , and running it in a separate window while you're flying. It will show you how much memory all processes are using, and also if any other processes or services are using CPU cycles. I've used it to discover that the print spooler service on my networked PC was running when print jobs from other networked computers were stuck in the printer queue, and causing stutters in my FS session. It also allows you to shut down unused services, freeing up memory temporarily. Give it a try.I have a stock E8500 and GTX260, and get better performance than you're citing, so I believe there's something on your PC using resources unnecessarily.

John G.

Guest simmer9304

One of your problems is your hardware, the GTS250 is essentially a 9800GTX+ which is a slightly overclocked improved 9800GTX which is a rebranded 8800GTS which is a beefed up 8800GT. This isn't too big an issue but for example I switch from a 9800GT to a GTX460 and saw up to 10 frames more in heavy scenery areas like UK2000 EGLL with even the default aircraft.Also this sounds like the characteristics of a memory leak, starting out smooth then within a short period of time draining down to nothing. Look and see if you have any empty texture folders.

support forum -http://forum.iemit.com

my PC should be easily running FS9 close to 20FPS in this scenario, no?
you have something else going on here erik ... 20fps! i been running the ejets v1 & v2 longer the 99.9999% of people and i run at 26fps, locked, with a CPU overclocked to 3.6GHz, 2MB of memory, and and 512MB videocard with 1/2 the abilities of yours.how many processes do you have running? on my FS rig i have 24 WITH the FS, AS6.5. and AIsmooth running.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

An E8400 @ 3.8GHz?Try turning down your overclock.Have you checked your temps?At that speed FS9 should scream.regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Guys,Thank you so much for your suggestions. Let me be clear, that I am not asking for 30-40-50FPS, as my AI is so extensive that especially at larger airports, the amount of data the computer has to deal with is enormous. So yes, with my rig FS9 should 'scream' and 'rock' at solid 40FPS. And so it does, flying the default C172 in a faraway country without AI on a default airport. But I do believe that an aircraft as complex as the E-jet, combined with mesh, landclass, scenery as complex as I have currently installed and 45GB of AI aircraft, still can give a modern computer a hard time. But 7-8 FPS is simply ridiculous, so that's why I came here.So today I tried various things.I rechecked my OC settings. My processor is now running at 3,6GHZ (400MHz, 9.0 multiplier) with memory overclocked from 400MHz to 533.3 MHZ (giving 1066MHz DDR2 memory). My memory-clock had a weird value before, this is now corrected it seems. All temps are stable and far below critical, since I have one beast of a cooler installed.I played FS9 in compatibility mode (WinXP SP2), I removed it. It made me having to reset my joystick assignments, since FSUIPC had lost everything for some stupid reason.I checked the version numbers of my add-ons. Especially Aerosoft is notorious for updating their software without mentioning it to their customers. Updated Munich from 1.01 to 1.03, furthermore STR (close to MUC), AYT and ORY needed updating. I have a netbook connected to my FS-pc, which runs ActiveSky and AIsmooth through WideFS.But I also had setup a shared internetconnection, which I now removed. both computers use their own wi-fi antennas now.I retried, and now I am running 15-20FPS at MUC while taxiing. I think that is acceptable, having 45GB of AI aircraft installed flying according to the most up-to-date AIG fp's?Landing in Aerosoft's BCN gave me a solid 24.9FPS (locked 25).I also installed the Process Monitor. I couldn't really find out how to use it, but I saw fs9.exe was constantly looking for texture.CFG, but failing to find it. Now, the confusing thing is, I think this 'CFG' can mean two things:- An AI-aircraft of Condor, which is missing its texture-folder- A config-file named texture.cfgThe first option is practically impossible, since my AI traffic is very, very extensive BUT very well maintained, using several programs like FlightSim manager and Aircraft Manager, I am 99,99% sure a missing texture folder is not possible.But the latter is also difficult, because as far as I know, FS2004, does not have a texture.cfg by default?!Does anybody know what is happening here, and why? Is this a problem? Rgds,Erik

I don't believe I have ever run across a texture.cfg file in FS2004 -But FSX does use them so I wonder if you installed a FSX aircraft or repaints as a "test" and forgot to remove them.I would run a search on the FS2004 folder and see if one or more texture.cfg files is found.Just something else to try.

But I do believe that an aircraft as complex as the E-jet, combined with mesh, landclass, scenery as complex as I have currently installed and 45GB of AI aircraft, still can give a modern computer a hard time.
erik:you are mistaken. 45GB of AI are not loading all the time. only aircraft near you are loading.mesh and landclass have minimal CPU load.there are some airport scenery that can hit performance ... in no way at the level you outline with your computer's CPU.complex addon aircraft can decrease performance. the ejet is not the most CPU demanding addon around. it is actually 'far down' on the list of 'demanding' addons. you have other issues here.
I played FS9 in compatibility mode (WinXP SP2), I removed it.
if you installed any software when in this 'mode' you have problems. in you ran an addon installer in this 'mode' you have a problem. win7 has a 'memory' of what you set that seems impossible to 'reverse'. the ejet DOES NOT need to run in 'compatability mode'. this has been explained many times on the support forum -http://forum.iemit.com--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Had to correct due to brain malfunction.The description of the problem (degrading fps) sounds like how fs9 used to work before the 9.1 update. IIRC was due to autogen objects being loaded out of default.xml and not being released, so memory was being filled with objects. At the time folks were removing/renaming default.xml to stop the autogen loading.scott s..