Sign in to follow this  
scruffyduck

A Cautionary Tale

It is easy for us to assume that folks understand not to interfere with stock files. However I have seen several instances of uploaded airport addon files in the last few days which unfortunately make that assumption invalid.In the first instance the read me advised users to remove an APX file from the stock folders along with a BRX and OBX file. A quick check showed that the APX file contained 46 airports - all of which would be lost with the removal of the file. The other files mentioned contained numerous objects etc that would also disappear.In the second instance I found several uploads that had a stock AP file name and the user was advised to save it into the relevant stock folder. The tools used to work on the file are capable of generating a single airport bgl file so the results are the same as above.I would just like to re-iterate to new developers: NEVER remove or edit stock files. NEVER advise your users to do the same.

Wise words, Dr. DuckIt should probably be one of, if not the first thing mentioned in any tutorial or user manual. But alas, too many people jump into the pool without seeing how deep the water is... :( And I don't know how that last line applies to the subject, but it sounds somewhat appropriate.

Jon,I was one of those unfortunates who did not understand the APX structure and created quite a mush-up back in December. Thanks to Opa I have learned the errors of my ways. If the files you mentioned above were one of mine, I had the first pulled by the managers in 24 hours and posted in the Library forums a reminder that my e-mail was in the download and any users who lost the 30 or so airports could e-mail and I would send them the default FS9 APX file from my system.The second, although not a fix for the first airport, but rather a complete new upload that did not require the first, included the stock APX file in case a person who downloaded the first scenery wanted to fix their default scenery before adding my updated scenery. Again, just trying to take responsibility for my screwup.In any event, I have learned my lesson and fully agree with your "Cautionary tale".Randy "Ramjett53"

Jon,I was one of those unfortunates who did not understand the APX structure and created quite a mush-up back in December. Thanks to Opa I have learned the errors of my ways. If the files you mentioned above were one of mine, I had the first pulled by the managers in 24 hours and posted in the Library forums a reminder that my e-mail was in the download and any users who lost the 30 or so airports could e-mail and I would send them the default FS9 APX file from my system.The second, although not a fix for the first airport, but rather a complete new upload that did not require the first, included the stock APX file in case a person who downloaded the first scenery wanted to fix their default scenery before adding my updated scenery. Again, just trying to take responsibility for my screwup.In any event, I have learned my lesson and fully agree with your "Cautionary tale".Randy "Ramjett53"
Hi Randy and thank you for being so forthright and honest. To be fair we all start out with limited understanding of how things work and to my shame I recall a time when I was merrily talking about stripping out stock files.......