Sign in to follow this  
axelb9

FSMetar visibilty 10SM in US

I have just realized that my long time favourite free weather engine - FSMetar - (which I liked a lot most of all because of the unbelievably packed cloud ceilings it created without any tweaks whatsoever) suffers from the old problem of depicting the 10SM visibility in US METARs as ... 10 SM visibility. As we know 10 SM METAR report in the US means 'at least' 10 SM and is similar in nature to the 9999 report in Europe.I have just not been flying in the US lately so have not realized this especially since FSMETAR depicts 9999 as a random vis between 30 sm and 50 sm which looks very good. However in the US you would always fly in a 10 SM fog. (which I know is not fog however in the sim looks like near fog conditions)Any other weather engines out there (thinking about especially ActiveSky 6,5 which is able to assign a proper random higher than 10 sm visibility to 10SM reports in the US?ThanksAlex

Any other weather engines out there (thinking about especially ActiveSky 6,5 which is able to assign a proper random higher than 10 sm visibility to 10SM reports in the US?
You answered your own question. ActiveSky assigns a random visibility when the METAR visibility is 10 SM as well as many other features FSMetar does not have. Check the ActiveSky webpage for all of the details.

Hi,ASv6.5 and ASE for FS04 and any of our FSX programs handle this correctly.

Thank you very much for the confirmations. That was really fast.In the meantime I got an idea and realized that registered FSUIPC solves this as well as so many other peeves with FS weather. Set 'Random extend METAR minima' and its done.Thanks again,Alex