Sign in to follow this  
scott967

I always seem to land on the left side of the runway.

Guest Dakota

It doesn't matter what plane I fly, large or small, on my landings I think I am lined up center, but seem to always touch down on the left side. Does any one have any tips on how to keep the plane lined up on the center line of the runway?Thanks!

Guest A340-300 fan

Do u use the ILS system? thats what i use mainley, and also remember that the Captain's seat is on the left side in the cockpit.adamYou cant truley understand flying until you have actually tasted and felt it.

Guest racartron

Seems you are landing in the same place consistently -- that is a good thing :) So all ya have to do is move your aiming point a bit to the right.Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

As long as your copilot always touches down on the right side, you're just doing fine ;)

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest allcott

This is typical of a pilot who is aiming at the close end of the runway. Instead, try to aim at the far end. Keep the `sight picture` the same throughout short finals and you should very quickly pick up on the right cues to ensure your straddle the centreline. Having said that, most larger runways are best dealt with by landing left or right of centre, as the nose wheel can shimmy or thump if it hits the painted markings during the early part of the roundout, so there's nothing wrong with being consistently left or right, it's the consistent bit that's desirable!Allcott

Guest Tim W

>> Having said that, most larger runways>are best dealt with by landing left or right of centre, as the>nose wheel can shimmy or thump if it hits the painted markings>during the early part of the roundout, so there's nothing>wrong with being consistently left or right, it's the>consistent bit that's desirable!Yes there's nothing more annoying than the thump, thump, thump as the nosewheel runs over the centre lights! I always aim to have the nosewheel a little left of centre during take off and landing in real flight.TimEHAMhttp://www.spottedantelope.com/bwomack/ima...aam-sim_sig.gif

Guest schofi

The answer is - Straighten up and fly right!(Sorry, couldn't resist)Brian

Guest Darkmage

I was experiencing similar problems also. I beleive the main problem lies in the design of the 2d panels, since they are created from the perspective of the pilot, who is left of the aircraft centerline. The outside view however, is generated from the middle of the centerline. Therefore, when you're actually flying straight, it will appear as though you are slipping slightly, and when you're not flying straight, it will appear as though you are.What helps is first finding the middle of your screen and noting any special features present on the panel that will help you line up (gauges, decals, etc.) Next, practice landing with no winds. However, instead of aiming for the runway, aim for the centerline itself. Try to beleive that the centerline is the runway. When you're aiming for a much smaller space, your precision improves since you will allow less slack during the approach.

One tip no one has mentioned are the 'cue' devices under 'views' menu.If you go to views menu->view options near the bottom left you will see a drop-down list 'Axis Indicator'. If you select one of the indicators you can line that up on the runway and it will assist you landing more centrally.I suggest starting with the 'V' cues (either small or large) and once you have the visual cues others have mentioned move to the 4 dots. They are much harder to see but will help to strengthen those other visual cues, eventually you will be able to dispense with the cues and land jsut with visual cues.HTH (from one who consistantly misses the runway entirely :-lol)

>>I beleive the main problem lies in the design of the 2d panels, since they are created from the perspective of the pilot, who is left of the aircraft centerline. The outside view however, is generated from the middle of the centerline.>>I think you may be right about this. Maybe VIEW_FORWARD_DIRcould be adjusted to put the eyepoint left of center?scott s..