Sign in to follow this  
bank1

Runing FSX W/two monitors second monitor has black screen

Okay, this is my problem. I just added a second monitor for the sole purpose of running FSC 9 on it. But when I start FSX my second monitor goes black and FSX locks up. How can I resolve this?WIN 7FSXEVGA GTX 260 SCC 55MMDon

Are u saying that's the only why to veiw other programs on my other monitor?

if you want to use other windows on your second monitor then yes, you need to use Windowed mode. It took me a while to get used to the title bar at the top but other than that there's really no performance difference (for me anyways). You will, however, want to make sure you have ForceWindowedVSync=1 in your fsx.cfgIf you want to display windows on the other monitor in Fullscreen mode, you have to disable that monitor first, and then start up FSX so it doesn't detect it on load into the main menu. Then you can re-enable your second monitor and use it for an alternate display. NOTE however that switching focus to anything in that second monitor will cause FSX to minimize.

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

if you want to use other windows on your second monitor then yes, you need to use Windowed mode. It took me a while to get used to the title bar at the top but other than that there's really no performance difference (for me anyways). You will, however, want to make sure you have ForceWindowedVSync=1 in your fsx.cfgIf you want to display windows on the other monitor in Fullscreen mode, you have to disable that monitor first, and then start up FSX so it doesn't detect it on load into the main menu. Then you can re-enable your second monitor and use it for an alternate display. NOTE however that switching focus to anything in that second monitor will cause FSX to minimize.
I just checked in my fsx.cfg and I didn't see (ForceWindowedVSync=1)? Is it suppose to be under the Display Title? or do I have to add it to my cfg? Also what is the purpose for this? ThanksDon

I used to use two monitors in full screen on the system in my sig. I ditched the second monitor because I couldn't use ENBMod in full screen and my performance was much better with one monitor.You are right, one will have a black screen but you should be able to drag pop up windows and ATC to the second monitor. I ran FS9 the same way without issues. What type of interface does FSC 9 have? If it is a pop up, just drag it over to the second monitor. Make sure you have set up the Windows desktop so that the monitors are in the correct order - ex: if you secondary monitor is positioned to the left of the primary in the desktop set up and you try to drag the window to the right, it isn't going to work.One caveat, some drivere worked fine and so would give me issues. YMMV.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I use FSX on 3 displays under Windows 7, 1 Projector for the scenery, 1 small touch screen for the GPS and a 19inch for the guages.Start your flight, then F10 for 2d Cockpit, Grab scenery and drag to second display, you can then stretch the scenery to fit the second display and you can move the guages up and down on the main screen for a better position as I do. I then show the GPS and drag it to the touch screen, works pretty good for me.Don't know what FSC 9 is but the multiple monitor thing works fine.CheersMart

Mart,Is FSX running in Full Screen Mode or Windowed Mode?

I run FSX in full screen mode, select F10 then you can grab the scenery with your mouse and drag it to the second monitor.CheersMart.

Mart,Is FSX running in Full Screen Mode or Windowed Mode?

I just fired up FSX with both monitors in full screen mode. Loaded the default c172 in VC mode. f3 to open the gps - grabbed it an dragged it to the second monitor. Opened up the atc window - grabbed it an dragged it to the second monitor. Opened up the radio stack - grabbed it an dragged it to the second monitor. Called up the 2d panel - grabbed it an dragged it to the second monitor. No problem. No problem for the last 7 years on two sims and three computers (other than the fact that performance isn't that hot in FSX with two monitors running).You won't see the desktop on the second monitor; you will see a black screen until you put something there.Now, if you want to run a background program and see the ui, you will need to be in windowed mode. But if it is a pop up window, you can drag it to the second monitor.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

If you use windowed mode don't forget to set your Windows taskbar to auto-hide, otherwise your FSX performance will be hampered. Catches me out every time I rebuild my PC!

Jeff,Before you drag anything over is that second monitor dark?Mine has always been dark and I have never tried dragging anything over, so I am trying to learn about something new!I have no problems with FS9, just FSX doing this.

Jeff,Before you drag anything over is that second monitor dark?Mine has always been dark and I have never tried dragging anything over, so I am trying to learn about something new!I have no problems with FS9, just FSX doing this.
Yes Jim, it is black. My experience has always been that if you hook up two monitors to one video card and set the desktop to extended in the Windows desktop settings (or ATI CCC, NVIDIA CC), your primary monitor with have FS running on it but the second monitor is black. When not in FS, all of my desktop icons are on my primary monitor and my secondary monitor is black. If I open up Word or Explorer or anything for that matter, I can drag it from one monitor to the other. Same in FS. As I mentioned, you can only drag pop up windows if you are in full screen. For example, if I wanted the ASE UI on one screen and FS on the other, I would have to be in windowed mode.One caveat, Over the past several years, I have found a few drivers that had trouble with this setup but most of them work fine. I have had NVIDIA and ATI cards. Also, all of my monitors have been set at the same resolution.Jim, can you see your cursor when you move it over the black monitor? If you can't, move your cursor to the opposite side of the monitor, up and then down. If it shows in one of the other directions, you need to change the order of the monitors in the desktop set up.

Jeff,With my last 2 ATI cards and two monitors the only time monitor 2 is black is with FSX running in Full Screen Mode. At all other times I see my extended background.But now that I have tried this I see that it works for me also. Not sure if I like all the black around anything I drag, but at least I know it can be done and how to do it.

Doh! My desktop backgound is set to black - that's why it is black when not running FSX.Glad you got it working.