Sign in to follow this  
BobG

737-400 into Innesbruck

Am flying missions in MSX Innesbruck approach,manage fine with the Baron,but I can only just get the 737-800 in by dumping fuel & most of the passengers,clearing weather,& doing things no respectable real pilot would do. I see B A has a scheduled 737-400 flight into Innesbrook from Gatwick?,anyone know what approach,weights,speeds they use?? to get in there for real? Sorry if you have covered this a thousand times,am a new returnee to the simm Thanks BobG

Bob-The attached packet of charts for LOWI will give you all the information you need. Additionally, look on YouTube for the many cool cockpit-perspective videos of all manner of aircraft on the tight, circling aproach to land. I have a flight set up from Geneva, Switzerland, LGGN, to Innsbruck, LOWI. I use the KONIL2 departure from Geneva, which is a beautiful, circling departure over the alps, and then back around and on course to Northeast to LOWI. The approach is the ALGOI 3A from the northeast, which is basically down to 13000ft to the KUHTAI (KTI) NDB. I then turn east about 5 DME from KTI to a heading of 080 direct Rattenberg NDB, over the northern ridge of the valley around the airport, and start my descent to cross RTT at 9500ft. At RTT, you then turn 180 degrees inbound, at which time you should then have the localizer to runway 27. Lock on to the localizer with autopilot and use the vertical speed to fly the published altitudes on th LOCDME EAST approach. It always seems to be a bit cloudy as I descend into the valley, but I typically breakout in enough time to go visual to the runway (the localizer is off-set and NOT a staright-in). All of this is depicted in detail in the attached PDF file.Have fun with this one, one of the most challenging and fun approaches in flight sim.Cheers,

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Thanks Alex,will try your approach,looks like a great package,I have a 747 flight from Munich-Innsbruck, set up,the sim controler vectors you to runway 8 at 12000 & clears you to 3900 on sighting runway (not very likely in real weather),All that aluminium you see & those houses knocked down at the far end , was me trying to land at 250knts+ Thanks again,will set about it more professionaly now, BobG

For me, the Innsbruck approach to rwy 08, where you start by following the localizer to rwy 26 and then leave it by turning left, is one of the most difficult to fly with an airliner in FSX. Mostly because of the lack of peripheral view in FSX and the fact that I need to bank very steeply to get the curve right. But I've done this even in my LDS 767 with almost full passengers and sufficient fuel for at least 2-3 more approach attempts.You see: The LOWI runway is long enough to allow even a heavyweight to land safely (check this with TOPCAT). No need to worry about a 737, provided FOB is at acceptable low levels.BTW just for fun I also managed to get my MD-11 with over 380 passengers and a lot of freight safely down on LOWI 08 several times. Would never do this in real life, it is always a terrific and freightening ride because of the steep mountains so close to the plane and the valley too narrow for an aircraft with such high approach speeds, but it's doable, the passengers don't need to scream or vomit, and the plane usually stops at the very end of the runway.

I know this is probably asking the obvious but I'll risk being shouted at anyway - presumably you are using the reverse thrust facility on landing?Rgds - Roger

I know this is probably asking the obvious but I'll risk being shouted at anyway - presumably you are using the reverse thrust facility on landing?Rgds - Roger
Thanks Roger,yes reverse thrust & Max Auto Brakes & Auto spoilers problem is planning the approach & landing at proper speeds & descent rates,,Alex was kind enough to send an approach packet,which I am sure will produce a better prescision approach than the sims air trafic controler provides,if the real world boys are running a 737-400 (scheduled no less) in there,??I started to wondering what approach plates ,descent rates,weights,bank angles, they use,in the real world, my Munich-Innsbruck rnwy 8/747 approach includes descent from 12000 to 3900,standing the plane on its nose,using spoilers,hanging everything out trying to keep the speed down,& .would make any passengers pretty sick/terrified,just before we crashed at the far end, I can get down & stopped most times(,not always on the runway), but have to scrape passengers off the ceiling & leave wheel marks on the mountain sides when circling in 737 or 747To land there as a scheduled flight in most weather,must take real prescision & professionalism,maybe I should have stayed with the 172 Thanks for your reply, BobGonly shouting would be my passengers at me?
Thanks Roger,yes reverse thrust & Max Auto Brakes & Auto spoilers problem is planning the approach & landing at proper speeds & descent rates,,Alex was kind enough to send an approach packet,which I am sure will produce a better prescision approach than the sims air trafic controler provides,if the real world boys are running a 737-400 (scheduled no less) in there,??I started to wondering what approach plates ,descent rates,weights,bank angles, they use,in the real world, my Munich-Innsbruck rnwy 8/747 approach includes descent from 12000 to 3900,standing the plane on its nose,using spoilers,hanging everything out trying to keep the speed down,& .would make any passengers pretty sick/terrified,just before we crashed at the far end, I can get down & stopped most times(,not always on the runway), but have to scrape passengers off the ceiling & leave wheel marks on the mountain sides when circling in 737 or 747To land there as a scheduled flight in most weather,must take real prescision & professionalism,maybe I should have stayed with the 172 Thanks for your reply, BobGonly shouting would be my passengers at me?

Sorry about triple reply,non prescion finer prob BobG

Hi BobGLOWI's 08 is lots of fun. Until I got decent charts for it and read what others had to say about I had the exact same problems with it as you. If I might suggest, once you have tamed LOWI you might want to give a try to CYCG Castlegar. It once had regular scheduled 737 service but now has Dash 8 I think. Anyway, it is another circling approach in a narrow mountain valley. If you have Orbx NRM scenery or Simmaddons Castlegar scenery it even looks good.EnjoyEric

Just to add that Aerosoft has a great LOWI Scenery pack for FSX .Certainly a worthy upgrade if you want to experience LOWI in all its beauty.Enjoy :)

AMD 7900X  |  ASRock Steel Legend X670E  |  G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 6000  |  MSI 6950XT  |  Noctua NH-D14  

EVGA Super NOVA 850W  |  Cooler Master HAF932  |  Hisense 43" 4K UHD  |  Win11

Just to add that Aerosoft has a great LOWI Scenery pack for FSX .Certainly a worthy upgrade if you want to experience LOWI in all its beauty.Enjoy :)
Thanks Vandolf,will do I ,need something nice to look at after my approach, BobG