Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wizardd

FS Genesis Eurpoe 76.4 terrain

Hi all.I'm attaching a zipped file that has a FLT file. It places you near Exeter. Double-click on it, and it should enter the sim at that location.Now for some experiments.First, backup the default "railroadsu.bmp" to a safe location.If you delete the default "railroadsu.bmp" from the 'C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9SceneryWorldtexture' folder, the sim will crash as it tries to find the texture.If you then copy back the default texture, the sim will load.Now repeat deleting the file and double-clicking the FLT icon. FS9 crashes again.Now add in the new "railroadsu.bmp" and the sim may crash... it doesn't always crash but usually does.... and sometimes just restarting the sim will allow it to load with the new texture. Sometimes it will just keep crashing. This behavior doesn't occur with the default texture, which is 8-bit, mipped, with an alpha channel.This problem with texture type may explain many crashes with different sceneries or texture changes.Note that I tried this without Justin's ( or any other ) mesh. It's not the FSGenesis mesh.Dick

Guest Wang D. Doodle

Dick -- This troubleshooting is great fun! Especially when it leads to finding the problem. Yesterday I eliminated two defective mesh files (that used to work in FS2002) from my system, and today it looks like we've tracked down the cause of the railroad texture problem, after I identified it and you provided the technical information. That missing alpha channel must explain why it's smaller than the default file.Hope the developer reissues it in the proper format because it DID make it a lot easier to follow railroad tracks...(the funny thing on my setup is that the railroad texture works OK the first time it's called, but then zaps the sim the next time you load ...)And we have shown that the FS Genesis mesh wasn't the culprit. A tip of the hat to Justin. And perhaps now someone can get around to the original question of comparing the Lago vs. Nanuncq (Faitmain) vs. Genesis meshes -- oh, and why not the default, too. Especially around EGDH Plymouth airport. Interesting. Wang

Hi Wang.The Faitmain mesh is very accurate ( based on DTED1 DEM data ). The FSGenesis mesh is based on the newly released SRTM data, and is also quite accurate. SRTM data is raw ( not corrected for holes or the occasional spikes, or for odd areas of elevational displacment ). But SRTM data is free and the DTED 1 for Europe is quite expensive. Nanuncq must have either bought the DTED 1 dems, or have gotten free access to them.Justin has the necessary GIS program ( Manifold ) to correct some of worst defects of the raw SRTM data. I suspect Nanuncq has access to adequate GIS tools. SRTM will eventually be released for most of the landmass of the world. The notable exceptions are the far north ( > N60* ), where SRTM data was never collected. Eventually, SRTM data will be corrected, and it will become the basis of new scientific standards.I don't expect much difference between the two meshes. Both should be of excellent quality, with the main problems in height accuracy, not locational accuracy.I haven't any info on Lago's mesh regarding it's sources or accuracy.I don't own Justin's mesh. I do have some of the Faitmain meshes, but I'll probably make my own from SRTM data, now. There will be some releases of SRTM based meshes as freeware, but we won't know the methods of how missing data areas are filled, and spike/hole corrections. I know Justin will use great care in providing the most errorless mesh he can, and he will probably be more than happy to tell how missing data was filled, and how holes and spikes were delt with ( real boring stuff unless you are into mesh creation ).Not that any of that matters too much. Mesh and landclass are more for eye-candy than for flight, so what looks good, without too much fantasy is OK. The SRTM or the DTED1 data rules out too much fantasy in either case.Dick

Well, I've tried EVERYTHING above, rebooting, restarting etc. every time.With Justin's dem76m_eu_britishisles_w.bgl installed, my FS crashes to desktop. When removed, either running default mesh or Nanucq's mesh, it doesn't.End of story for me. I greatly appreciate all the input, and I'm glad I'm the only one here with a lasting problem; but I'm back to the other freeware mesh for now. It's also 76.4, so I'll live with it.Even though your file is identifiable as causing ME the problem, it may only be the catalyst that is triggering something else silly I have done. But I'm damned if I know what.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Wizardd

Hello everyone! I'm the creator of the "railroadsu.bmp" file mentioned in this thread...Holger was kind enough to direct me here. First let me address a theory listed above, the mip-ping with an alpha channel...in my experiments to create such a file for this bmp (in an attempt to create a more detailed RR track that would look good closeup & then simply get smaller as you got higher), I found that in doing so I ended up with a file size of around 650K without an alpha channel (the original is only 87K & mine is 66K)...the original image is not an extended image...with or without an alpha channel either...bmp's with an alpha channel are the ones you can't recognize in your photo program...Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop, e.g.- they also don't display as thumbnails when you choose that option for viewing the contents of a texture folder. MS has chosen to implement the RR's by the same methods & texture usages as they do roads & riverbanks, etc. The image is split up into eight segments by the sim & then layed end-to-end on a pre-defined path...then it repeats the process endlessly as needed. Simply changing the color/pattern of a bmp can't cause a CTD...However; I think I may have finally found the culprit for the CTD's some of us, including myself; have been experiencing with fs9...I've just made the longest flight I've been able to meke it almost 2 weeks! (and it's still running on my taskbar now)...do a file search on your system for a file named GDI.exe...make sure you include 'hidden folders' because the "dllcache" folder is hidden....you should find this file located in two places...(the following locations are based on using XP pro...a different operating system may have different locations...) c:windowssystem32 and also inc:windowssystem32dllcacheright click on these files & check the properties (and verify that they're both the same version!)...if the version number is older than 4.10.0.2222 then replace them with an updated version...the one in c:windowssystem32 reverted back to the old version after I over-wrote it & I had to repeat the process...I then got a warning message that said I had changed a file to an unrecognized version & the system would have to restore the older version for system stability..."insert your windows cd"...I clicked 'cancel' & got another warning about system stability & was I sure I wanted to keep this newer version...I clicked yes...you may get the same or similar messages...let me know if your gdi.exe files are the older or the newer one....this may be the mysterious bug we've been tearing out hair out trying to find....Let me know what you find! I'm unable to post my version of the GDI.exe here, due to file size limitations...the zipped file is about 75K over the limit. Since you seem to have my file, then you also have my email addy in the readme...email me & I'll be happy to send it to you. Thanks, Vance

Dragging this thread back to the topic in question...I installed the aforementioned FS Genesis Mesh for the UK/Wales/Scotland/Ireland last night. I use Just Flight's UK VFR scenery for all my flights within the UK airspace and the new FS Genesis mesh certainly improves in many areas - especially those on the edge of my previous (Lago) Meshes coverage.Will post some screenshots tonight.RegardsAdamPS: In VFR Scenery you can see REAL railroads (but not moving trains sadly;-)

Guest Wizardd

Hmmm, using DXTbmp.exe I was told it was not an extended image...I'll give Image Tool a look & if I can convert my bmp to what you're showing us here, I'll post an updated version of it on avsim...having updated my GDI.exe has cured my CTD problems though...it's been flying all night...anyone who needs my version can get it by emailing me...a few people have told me they have a version newer than the one I have...I'll see if one of them will send it to me. I'll include it in my updated version zip file. One other thing to consider is that fs9 requires, among other things; a video card that is DirectX 9.0 compatible...or higher...the Geforce 2 mx/mx400 cards for example, are not. Some of you may benefit from this information I received via an email, it may not help everyone; but if you have hardware issues this may be the answer...it was a response to the GDI.exe update:"if you are having issues with CTD in FS9 and Win XP pro as I was, then there is a much more simple solution, without file replacing. Simply right click on the 'FS9.exe' icon (the main executable in the main fs9 folder) go to 'properties' and choose 'compatibility mode of Win 98' and OK out of there, no more CTD in FS9 :) maybe that will help, my version of the file you sent was newer than the one you sent, so that is not my problem."If I can get my railroadsu.bmp converted & uploaded to the file library sometime today, it will probably show up there tomorrow. I'll also update the readme file with all the new info I gather regarding the CTD issue...I, personally; fried a new AMD 1.7 ghz processor trying to lower it's temp, thinking this was possibly an overheating issue as that will cause exactly the same kind of CTD w/no error messages...I failed to seat the heat sink firmly (a tiny bit of matter got under it) & it fried the processor in less time than it took to boot up & now it turns out that for me, at least; the problem was the outdated GDI.exe. GDI.exe (Graphical Device Interface component) I didn't locate a MS download for an updated version either, but I did find the troubleshooting page w/an interesting variety of programs that it can have/cause problems with, here's link to that page if you care to have a read:http://search.microsoft.com/search/results....exe&View=en-usjust look in the 'Support & Troubleshooting' catagory...the 3rd group down the page...then check out the 'More support & Troubleshooting results' link in that catagory...As many of you have my email addy in the readme file of my downloaded zip file, please use it to let me know of any other pros/cons or possible solutions to the CTD issue...I'll include any pertinent info in the updated readme. Thanks, I'll go find Image Tool now & see if I can improve the bmp with it.

Guest anthonye

>Southwest England, eh? My sim is crashing to desktop when I>try to position to Plymouth or Exeter in the airport selection>menu ... ever since I loaded FS Genesis mesh. Other airports>I've tried further north seem OK.>>Anybody else care to test this and report?>>Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumont>>http://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpgYes tested all around the area without any problems at all. I also have uk2000 scenery installed and VFR scenery 1 -4 as well as UTraffic.Anthony

Hi 'SQUAWKIDENT',Wakey, wakey!!I've run a comparison between the Lago and FSGenesis UK mesh at a favourite area of mine, viz. the Island of Mull off the west coast of Scotland. To be honest I can detect very little difference between the two. Both display the Island's terrain elevations pretty well and both exhibit the same certain issues, e.g. Lunga is the only example shown of the Treshnish Islands and is portrayed like a coral atoll, which, for me, is a real shame. Staffa does not appear at all, which is odd considering the elevations involved.Otherwise, the differences must be so subtle as to be barely noticeable and makes it difficult to decide which mesh to stick with. I think they both have their merits and I guess it all boils down to whether or not you want to pay for the experience. Lago's charges, however, are extremely reasonable and almost qualify as a token payments. As far as support is concerned I think Lago and FSGenesis ride shoulder to shoulder so that should not influence your decision.Mike :-wave

Curiouser and curiouser ... yes, I'm still fiddling ... can anyone tell me why the sim would crash when DAY is chosen at Plymouth EGHD but seemingly NOT when DUSK or NIGHT are chosen? Maybe I'm narrowing this down, finally ....I have no add-on scenery for EGHD, no railroadsu.bmp replacement, but I do have Ray Taburet's FS2002 landclass installed. I shall whip that out again next ...Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Well, I think I'm there (even though I said I'd give up, I knew I wouldn't, particularly as I had raised a question about Justin's scenery). So ... ... it was the LANDCLASS for FS2002, Justin, you were right. Having removed that, seems my problems are over (I hope!) What is so frustrating with FS9 in testing all this is how long it takes compared to FS2002 - having to close down, reboot, restart, stand on your head, reboot, sing the Marsellaise .... because it doesn't always ring the changes first time round. But I've tested things without that UK LANDCLASS several times now in all hours of the day and I think my problem has gone away. Phew.To those who tried to help, many interesting points came out of it, thanks. And to make it quite clear to all ... there is NOTHING wrong with Justin's excellent freeware UK mesh, which is the best I've found yet in places I know well. So if you ain't gorrit, go gerrit!Thanks, Justin. You da man. Me da ape.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg