Sign in to follow this  
kjng

if bad weather=bad fps, try this

Hello fellow simmers,I was able to raise the performance of my graphics card in bad weather dramatically (overcast situations). I do own a GTX 460 and got Win 7 64 as my operating system,. I am not sure if this works for other people on different setups too. The trick is to keep AA ticked within FSX and set filtering to Anisotropic, then enhance the AA settings via Nvidia Inspector, therefore use these settings in the Antialiasing section of NV Inspector.Antialiasing - Behavior Flags = NoneAntialiasing - Mode = Enhance the application settingAntialiasing - Setting = 8xS (or whatever you prefer)in the Texture Filtering section nothing new, so if not allready set Anisotropic filtering mode = User-defined / offAnisotropic filtering setting = 16Texture Filtering - Negative LOD bias= ClampTexture Filtering - Quality = High Qualityafter changing the appropiate settings in FSX and NV inspector reboot your system.now take a test flight in bad weather and see if it improves perfomance for you too.hi from eddm,markus

Nick's guide is the Bible doncha' know...:(

honestly i thought underlining the word ENHANCING would be enough.nickn's guide forces AA over whatever FSX offers.

effectively you are just reducing sliders to increase performance. If you like what you see and your perfromance is ok for you then use it. However, I would venture that a majority of users set their system up according to Nick and Bojote who have developed these settings with a broad user base in mind and these settings are contrary to what they recommend.As always - if it works for you - it's the right thing to do.It's always good to share your findings - someone mught find them useful and that's all that counts.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I do highly respect NickN's work, his set up guide is outstanding and I do love both my GEX Europe and NA.Bojote's dedication is also very appreciated, applying bufferpools=0 gave me a great boost in performance too.BUT the recommended AA settings do in my case cripple FSX perfomance in overcast situations, I found a wayon my system to fix this and wanted to share it.Unlike you stated this is no visual trade off, like reducing sliders, the visible AA level is equal.It stays 8S Antialiasing whether forced or applied as enhanced, but applied as enhanced it has less impact on performance in an overcast situation.I have a theory why this is the case but it is pure speculation. (no AA applied on clouds)

effectively you are just reducing sliders to increase performance. If you like what you see and your perfromance is ok for you then use it. However, I would venture that a majority of users set their system up according to Nick and Bojote who have developed these settings with a broad user base in mind and these settings are contrary to what they recommend.As always - if it works for you - it's the right thing to do.It's always good to share your findings - someone mught find them useful and that's all that counts.Vic

now take a test flight in bad weather and see if it improves perfomance for you too.hi from eddm,markus
Hi Markus! tks for sharing. May I ask how are you measuring the impact? would you download FSRecorder and record a situation at 1 frame intervals and 'test' to see if you see a difference in minimun/average/maximum FPS? I'm using Ryan (tabs) suggested settings for nVidia inspector, not sure if they are the same suggested by NickN. In my personal experience, NickN suggested settings are the generally accepted/recommended ones for everyone. Not saying that yours will not work but it would help if you provide a little more info on how you tested. I can do some independent testing as well, but not this week as am away from my gaming PC.

Hi Markus! tks for sharing. May I ask how are you measuring the impact? would you download FSRecorder and record a situation at 1 frame intervals and 'test' to see if you see a difference in minimun/average/maximum FPS? I'm using Ryan (tabs) suggested settings for nVidia inspector, not sure if they are the same suggested by NickN. In my personal experience, NickN suggested settings are the generally accepted/recommended ones for everyone. Not saying that yours will not work but it would help if you provide a little more info on how you tested. I can do some independent testing as well, but not this week as am away from my gaming PC.
Hi,How do I measure the impact. This will be a long answer!I allways used the "override application" setting for Supersampling even before I read NickN's post, I am familiar with using SSAA modes since FS2004, I never took a flight without at least 2xSS.After moving over to FSX I bought addon after addon, then I got REX 2.0 and shortly after ASE. That's where it all started, sometimes I got miserable performance and I couldn't explain myself why.I blamed everything, thought maybe it's ASE, REX or I am asking too much off my GTX 460 with 2x SS. Usually tweaking takes some time and in that period weather changes. So when I took off the next timethinking I had solved the problem because everything was smooth again, I had literally changed nothing on the problem itself, just the weather had changed or I chose a different airport. ( with different weather too)After a long trial and error, I was able to pinpoint the problem to AA, because without applying any AA weather or overcast wasn't affecting the fps too much. Then I wanted to know more, why is applying higher AA affecting my performance that much. I read a lot in the internet in various forums and stumbled over a post claiming that if you do check AA within FSX,FSX will spare the clouds from being antialiased too. This sounded conclusive enough to give it a shot, after changing my settings to AA within FSX and then enhanced to 8S with Nvidia Nhancer I have not encountered a bad weather related drop of framerate again.Maybe this will not work for anybody besides myself, but people who are suffering from a nasty fps drop in heavy overcast situations (multiple cloud layers) should definitely give this a try!(not everybody has a clocked GTX 480 or GTX 580 that overcomes a maybe misplaced call for AA with raw power)To clarify once again, I am still using 8S combined AA, I am not using the inferior FSX AA alone. This is not a visual trade off.

Hi Markus,Haven't had a chance to test this yet but do you notice any difference in image quality or shimmering with enhancing vs overriding the AA settings?Dylan

Hi Dylan,overriding 8S does not get rid of all shimmering within FSX, so does not enhancing with 8S. In my personal opinion quality wise they are very close or identical, but subjective clouds look way better without forced AA.But that is something you should better judge yourself.By the way, only transparency AA can effectively deal with the alpha textures that cause shimmering. An appropiate setting would be 8S and setting 4xSupersampling on Transparency Supersampling (TS) or 8SQ and 2xSupersampling on TS .

Hi Markus,Haven't had a chance to test this yet but do you notice any difference in image quality or shimmering with enhancing vs overriding the AA settings?Dylan

Guest nzch2010
honestly i thought underlining the word ENHANCING would be enough.nickn's guide forces AA over whatever FSX offers.
I put that link on there because you did not. If you are keen to show your results at least provide a link of some sort so those who are unaware of NV insp (and there will be a few) know where to start.

I wish it were true but(thinking like you) I tested this just yesterday using 8s combined + 4x Sparse-Grid SS with enhance app AA in nVidia Inspector 1.94.. I was using REX WX (heavy clouds) over Spokane and took a 20FPS hit just as with override app AA. BTW I always set AA on in FSX along with Anisotropic.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Hi,using Transparency Antialiasing (TA) may be beating the purpose of setting AA to "enhance application" as this approach could include processing of the clouds again. Try using 8S or 8SQ alone without TA (which is common), compare "override" and "enhanced" and see if this helps. What's your graphic card type and in-game resolution? 8S+4SS TA or more can be pretty challenging even for a modern card.You may also want to try and disable AA both in FSX and NVI to see if there are global settings that do interfere.I personally use 8S solely without TA

I wish it were true but(thinking like you) I tested this just yesterday using 8s combined + 4x Sparse-Grid SS with enhance app AA in nVidia Inspector 1.94.. I was using REX WX (heavy clouds) over Spokane and took a 20FPS hit just as with override app AA. BTW I always set AA on in FSX along with Anisotropic.jja

According to the Nhancer and other sources one should always use the application AA, since it tells the driver explicitly where to AA and where not.In case of problems you might use the enhance function, but should never override, unless the computer can handle that.I installed FSX again, used Bojote's cfg tweak website, the results were stunning good!. Just try the FSX AA for performance.