Sign in to follow this  
kjng

if bad weather=bad fps, try this

According to the Nhancer and other sources one should always use the application AA, since it tells the driver explicitly where to AA and where not.In case of problems you might use the enhance function, but should never override, unless the computer can handle that.I installed FSX again, used Bojote's cfg tweak website, the results were stunning good!. Just try the FSX AA for performance.
This is exactly the point I am trying to get across, the "enhance application" setting will just improve quality further where FSX thinks AA is necessary, instead of brute forcing AA over the complete scene.The main problem is that very well spread guides to properly set up Nvidia Inspector for FSX are actually propagating settings to do an override and therefore "brute force" AA approach.
Nick's guide is the Bible doncha' know...:(
and god is never wrong ! ;)

Hello fellow simmers,I was able to raise the performance of my graphics card in bad weather dramatically (overcast situations). I do own a GTX 460 and got Win 7 64 as my operating system,. I am not sure if this works for other people on different setups too.The trick is to keep AA ticked within FSX and set filtering to Anisotropic, then enhance the AA settings via Nvidia Inspector, therefore use these settings in the Antialiasing section of NV Inspector.Antialiasing - Behavior Flags = NoneAntialiasing - Mode = Enhance the application settingAntialiasing - Setting = 8xS (or whatever you prefer)in the Texture Filtering section nothing new, so if not allready setAnisotropic filtering mode = User-defined / offAnisotropic filtering setting = 16Texture Filtering - Negative LOD bias= ClampTexture Filtering - Quality = High Qualityafter changing the appropiate settings in FSX and NV inspector reboot your system.now take a test flight in bad weather and see if it improves perfomance for you too.hi from eddm,markus
Hi Markus,if you choose to enhance instead of override, have I to flag on the Antialiasing feature in the FSX menu?

Hi Markus,if you choose to enhance instead of override, have I to flag on the Antialiasing feature in the FSX menu?
Markus might not answer you since he hasnt logged into Avsim since July 22.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yes...

The trick is to keep AA ticked within FSX

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10

Ive just tried this, but when I switch it to "enhance application setting" i seem to get about the same fps.. am I suppost to lower the AA in Nhancer or somthing? if that is true, isnt it a trade off? I hope im just misunderstanding somthingbut then when I turn off the AA in game, it completly shuts off ALL AA, including the Nhancer settings.. Is that suppost to happen? Now thinking about it, If it is, its kinda nice, becuse then I can switch it completly off in bad weather, then turn it back on when I fly outta the clouds, without having to exit the game.

As the people of nHancer say, set AA in game on, and use enhanced AA. Since the program, FSX in this case can tell the driver where to AA and where not, and the last one is fps.Forcing AA over the whole scene is overkill, and costs fps.

As the people of nHancer say, set AA in game on, and use enhanced AA. Since the program, FSX in this case can tell the driver where to AA and where not, and the last one is fps.Forcing AA over the whole scene is overkill, and costs fps.
Ok after reading every post in this topic, I think I have figured it out, but even with the Enhance application selected, I get the same FPS as with it forced.Instructions seemed simple enough, and I dont think I got anything wrong, but it doesnt seem to have an effect.any ideas?

I guess you wont see a rise in FSP. But, a lesser drop in fps when in clouds for example.A more smooth ride. With a high end CPU it will be less noticable.Milage will vary.

I've always used the enhance function, but in heavy weather with many clouds I didn't see any improvement.To get rid off flickering runways and textures on airports without mipmaps, I have to choose sparse grid supersampling AA at the cost of fps loss with many clouds.While searching the forum I found an interesting answer by Bojote concerning his Shader 3 mod.

I re-wrote the entire Water shader. Its night and day ;) the changes were (for the techno-geeks):- Updated Minification and Magnification filters for the Water Bump Texture sampler (before were LINEAR, now ANISO)- Set Negative LOD Bias (-1) for Water, so terrain reflections look a bit more real- Fog Calculation (required for SM3) is now passed inside the Water vColor array directly to the pixel shader- SM4 (from the DX10 shader) bump calculations, wind factors and some other DX10 Water features are now present in SM3 (DX9)- Terrain now has a negative LOD bias of -8- Clouds have now their OWN texture sampler, so no min/mag/mip filters are used for cloud rendering (better performance)- Cloud LOD bias set to 1- Etc. etc. etc etc...
I know these mod is mainly for ATI cards, but is it possible to exclude only clouds from being antialiased?I don't want to use the shader 3 mod, because I'm not satisfied with my REX water and this mod, but isn't it possible to make a mod especially for better performing clouds with higher AA settings?