Sign in to follow this  
frankinbahia

Nav 1 radio won't drive the HSI

On several aircraft in my FS9 (some of the stock planes included with FS9 as well as some downloaded originals), I’ve replaced the Heading Indicator or DG with an HSI (usually the Cessna 208 or the Baron gauge), then removed the existing VOR1. As expected, of course, the Nav 1 radio now drives the HSI. But today I tried this in a newly installed aircraft and the HSI doesn’t respond to the Nav 1 radio (or Nav 2, for that matter). The radio is receiving the audio ident. Is there some kind of radio-to-HSI linkage I haven’t discovered? Probably unrelated, but another quirk in this aircraft is that in the Radio Stack (the standard Bendix/King combo), when you put the mouse over the standby frequency, it changes the active frequency! In fact, the only way I can change the standby frequency is to change the active, then flip-flop it. (The flip-flop works normally.) Thanks!

An update: The GPS does drive the HSI properly. So the problem seems to be in the connection between the Nav 1 radio (which works) and the HSI (which works, but only when driven by the GPS).

On several aircraft in my FS9 (some of the stock planes included with FS9 as well as some downloaded originals), I’ve replaced the Heading Indicator or DG with an HSI (usually the Cessna 208 or the Baron gauge), then removed the existing VOR1. As expected, of course, the Nav 1 radio now drives the HSI. But today I tried this in a newly installed aircraft and the HSI doesn’t respond to the Nav 1 radio (or Nav 2, for that matter). The radio is receiving the audio ident. Is there some kind of radio-to-HSI linkage I haven’t discovered? Probably unrelated, but another quirk in this aircraft is that in the Radio Stack (the standard Bendix/King combo), when you put the mouse over the standby frequency, it changes the active frequency! In fact, the only way I can change the standby frequency is to change the active, then flip-flop it. (The flip-flop works normally.) Thanks!
Since I don't know what plane you're using or what panel, I can't speak to the mouse weirdness you're experiencing. As far a coupling to the HSI, make sure the Radios section of the aircraft.cfg file looks something like:[Radios]// Radio Type = availiable, standby frequency, has glide slopeAudio.1 = 1Com.1 = 1, 1Com.2 = 1, 1Nav.1 = 1, 1, 1Nav.2 = 1, 1, 0Adf.1 = 1Transponder.1 = 1Marker.1 = 1DJ

Thanks very much, DJ....that solved everything!(BTW, the aircraft/panel was the Aero Commander 500 - ac500vc1 - by Milton Shupe and Scott Thomas.)

Since I don't know what plane you're using or what panel, I can't speak to the mouse weirdness you're experiencing. As far a coupling to the HSI, make sure the Radios section of the aircraft.cfg file looks something like:[Radios]// Radio Type = availiable, standby frequency, has glide slopeAudio.1 = 1Com.1 = 1, 1Com.2 = 1, 1Nav.1 = 1, 1, 1Nav.2 = 1, 1, 0Adf.1 = 1Transponder.1 = 1Marker.1 = 1DJ

Thanks very much, DJ....that solved everything!(BTW, the aircraft/panel was the Aero Commander 500 - ac500vc1 - by Milton Shupe and Scott Thomas.)
Excellent! Glad it helped...DJ