Sign in to follow this  
agtim

Seattle North Expansion over Vancouvert

The 80 tiles needed for the Seattle region expansion up to Vancouver are now finished and are in test now.Will upload when all is OK.To help the building of megatiles for high resolution of this region I have generated about 80 .KML files producing a square of the corner coordinates in Google Earth so it's easy to locate the correct area. The 4 corner points must be transformed into a 4096x4096 square , may need some morphing technique.The kit contains a set of low resolution place holder tiles.This is Eisenber final in low resolution mode.Final76sLowQual.jpgHere a first flight on the northern boundary over the mountains north of Vancouver, low resolution modeNortOfVancouver.jpgThis is the map of the final expansion of the Seattle region, now 10 x 18 tiles ( 10 x 8 more than the original region )The map was done using the low resolution place holder tiles.SeattleExpanded.jpgWhy just place holder tiles ? Well one such tile is generated in less than 5 minutes - a real high resolution tile will need one or more evenings for a good finish :-)

Looks like a very good approach. If everyone who's interested can obtain a set of megatiles with proper elevation and a basic scenery layout each one may take this to a more refined level later. Whether one elects to keep the basic textures or replace them with good orthophotos the terrain is there and new airports can be shared and used by everyone with an expanded high-res region.

The Seattle expansion kit is finished and uploaded, have funAndreVancouverLowRes.jpg

Surely you guys would prefer the full, high resolution version of any new photo scenery? I certainly couldn't live with the low res version.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Surely you guys would prefer the full, high resolution version of any new photo scenery? I certainly couldn't live with the low res version.
It's basically about copyright issues. Most flightsim communities share tools for setting up photo-scenery while they avoid uploading finished sceneries. While we can all browse through the content of free map servers 24/7 we can not legally harvest any maps, compile a scenery and upload it. There ARE a few medium quality options that are public domain and some of us may look into that. In any event, few simmers will keep the basic hi-res extension "as is"--think of it as a 3D coloring book. The basic layout of the terrain is there complete with the matching elevation. Further, those who may elect to be content with the low-res version still get something better than the current outer terrain and Seattle - Vancouver will become a popular medium leg for jets and turboprops.

This map will help to locate megatiles inside the expanded Seattle region.The row aaaj to ajaj is the top north row of the original Seattle region.The larger squares are OT tiles around the region.SeattleNorthMap.jpgAndre

Guest glidernut

Hi André,Thanks for allmost dubling my Seattle region.This low resolution area looks much better than I expected, its much better the outtterr terain.And I can land on it as well, anywher, not just on the flatend airports.You carnt do that on the outtterr terain.Iv been thuraly enjuoing my self exploring all the new mountains, valys, rivers, and lacks.I am not shoower wether I will take this to a more refined level later, my understanding of terainbilding is very poower, and the low resolution is perhaps good inuf.I use a very light green palet for the terain, its probably too bright for most every one els, butI licke it, its cheerful.Thanks for all the work you hav put in on this, I think its grait, glidernut.