Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arlei

What about the frame rate and iFDG MD11 ?

Guest Arlei

Well, just to keep you guys informed.I converted the BMP textures into DXT3 format and the results are much better now.If you are facing the same problem try to do this. I think it will help a lot.Thanks.

Guest panda234

Arlei, what did you do? I have the same problem, but would love to fly this aircraft. I downloaded imageview but can't see that dxt3 is supported. Would you mind explaining in a little more detail? Thx!Billg

Guest Arlei

Hi Billg,I know you can use the imagetool to convert these textures, but I've not used it. I used the DXTBmp tool from Martin Wright web site. You can download this program here http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/download/dxtbmpx.EXE.Maybe someone more experienced on imagetool could explain how to convert the textures using this utility...Let me know if you have any problem.Bye.

Guest panda234

Arlei, I downloaded it and can't figure it out, argh. Could you walk me through an example format change? Does it support batch mode? If not, I can just change the large files manually. Some of the fuselage textures are over 4mb each!thx,billg

Bill,"Load extended image" or "Load normal image" depends on the type of image you're loading, then "save extended image" and make sure that "Save as type" is "DXT3 with alpha" for images that use the alpha channel. You can see the alpha channel in top right corner of the DXTbmp.Before you start playing with things, make a backup of the original images. Just in case. I also reduced the size of most of the textures. They are simply too big and too many of them. Antenna.bmp, for example, is now only 17kb in size. Also, lightmaps are too big. My poor GeForce 3 simply can't take it, it's too much. :)Regards,Jurehttp://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest panda234

Jure, I'm making progess! I have some of the larger "extended image" files saved as DXT3 with alpha. They're about 1/4 the size they were, and still look great. The other ones seem to be just bmp's, but are 1024x1024. Don't think they need to be that resolution. How can I make them say, 512x512 or even smaller? Thx!billg

Bill,glad to hear you're making progress! In order to resize an image, you need a paint program. If you don't have Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop, try some other painting program. I bet there are some freeware offerings out there. Anyway, you should tell Dxtbmp which paint program to use. You can do that under "Prefs" and "select editor". When you're done, load your image, CHANGE IT TO 32-bit, because paint programs usually don't recognize extended formats like DXT3, then start with resizing. Press "Image", then "Send to editor" and if you have done everything right, your paint program will pop up with the image inside. Resize, paint, whatever you wish to do, then simply press "Save" and quit your paint program. You're back to Dxtbmp, now press "Reload after edit" and you'll have your edited image back in Dxtbmp!If the image has the alpha channel, you MUST resize that too! Procedure is the same, under "Alpha" choose "Send Alpha to Editor", your paint program will pop up, make the changes, save and back in Dxtbmp, press "Refresh Alpha". Now you're done, save the image in Dxtbmp in whatever format you wish, usually DXT3 with Alpha (for the IFDG aircraft most of the textures are in that format). If not, remember what format was the image originally in and after editing save it in the same format. Just be careful with images that have an Alpha channel associated with them. Alpha channel controls either transparency or (metallic) shine, so you don't want to lose that. :)I hope this helps a bit. If you need more help, drop me an E-mail and we'll try to get you going. :)Regards,Jurehttp://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg