Sign in to follow this  
TC1

Fuel & NAV Question

I'm a rookie at the helm of the MD-11. I taken enought flights now take I'm actually looking around the cockpit. On my last two flights I notice a message that states Tail Fuel FWD (Fuel). Looking ay the Systems Manual I see this message as being information only at that no imput is required by me. Am I correct on that analysis?Also when VOR1 And VOR2 are automated they always show the same readout, that is VOR1 is reading 115.30 so is VOR2. If I were to manually select VOR2 to read a different station, would I still need to reconfigure VOR2 back to automatic selection prior to landing?ThanksTom

1) TAIL FUEL FWD, the QRH said it may affect cruise performances, then it say to check into the FCOM... The FCOM say to select the secondary controller of the FSC (Fuel System Controller), this can be done pushing the SELECT switch from AUTO to MAN and then back to AUTO. From what i read i can say that this advice tells you that the CG% control using the tail fuel cannot be used anymore for an unknown reason. That affects one automatic controller. Switching to the secondary controller can reset the warning and resume normal operations but it cannot work. In the case the caution remains you have to read all the checklist on the FCOM for proper operations.2) You can set VORs manually using the MCDU in NAV/RAD page...just put the navaids identifier in and it will tune automatically. The VORs of the MD11 aren't connected to the ILS in any way. The ILS reciviers are separated and automatically tuned to the ILS active frequency during the approach, so you can leave a manually entered VOR station into the system because it doesn't affect the ILS...Cheers,