Sign in to follow this  
dazz

Ivy Bridge & 1155

Will still need a new MOBO as the chipsets are different wheras ONLY the socket is the same.Or ive read it wrong. again :Nail Biting:

Will still need a new MOBO as the chipsets are different wheras ONLY the socket is the same.Or ive read it wrong. again :Nail Biting:
Yes, that's right. There's no way Ivy Bridge chips with PCIe 3.0 controllers will work in current 1155 boards

Yes, that's right. There's no way Ivy Bridge chips with PCIe 3.0 controllers will work in current 1155 boards
Are some people going to wait for Ivy Bridge to upgrade? Is it going to give a huge performance bump up from Sandy Bridge? More expensive?

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Are some people going to wait for Ivy Bridge to upgrade? Is it going to give a huge performance bump up from Sandy Bridge? More expensive?
I know I am waiting for Ivy Bridge. Some decided to pass on 1155 and wait for 2011 but 2011 will still be SB chips with more cores and a lot pricier probably which makes no sense to me over 1155. Ivy Bridge will be 22nm so those should overclock better and the mainstream/1155 version of IB is supposed to have quad cores for entry price CPU's so I would expect hexa/octo cores to be available for a reasonable price, much cheaper than 2011's IB that's for sure. Having 22nm CPUs with more cores and PCIe 3.0 (for SLI 8x8x maybe) in a mainstream platform looks enticing to me at this point, and that will also give MS Flight some time to develop and maybe then make a decision based on a new simulator's standards.

I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge... Saving "commute to school" money and "lunch" money every day. I'm hungry and my gas light is on but I've got a while to go...

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules