Sign in to follow this  
Carabou

I7 2600 or !7 950 - both not overclocked....

Howdy - First thank you to all who have replied to my posts in the past, your info was very helpful and appreciated. To make a long story short - I ordered a HP with AMD Phenom 1090T, based on price and all I read etc. When it arrived I found the power supply wouldn't support a decent video card (such as GTX 460 OC), so I returned the computer. Hard to believe, but I had asked HP for details on the psu before I ordered the computer and they didn't have the information available! They told me to order it and when I get it to open it up and look at the psu. I returned it to the retailer the next day and no restocking was charged - end of that story.New story. I'm going to have a computer built by a local shop in order to insure I get what I want. I'm looking at either an I7 2600 or I7 950 with a GTX 460 OC 1gb card and 8 gig of ram.In either case I won't overclock. Do you think the 2600 will be a better performer than the 950? Also, how well do you think the computer will perform with the GTX 460 OC? I'm trying to keep the price down as it seems to keep getting out of hand - Thanks again for your assistance.... Howard

Hi, just a question: Why don´t you get a GTX 470 instead of a overclocked 460? The GTX 470 has more cores regardiung to the nVidia site, so there may be more power. Ans the overclocked grafic cards are more expensive and make more heat. Because nVidia has allready introduced the sucessor of the GTX 470 the price is falling right now, so the GTX470 might be worth a thought.I personally would get the i7-2600, cause I´ve heared that SB runs FSX smoother at sock speed as an i7-950.

Why don´t you get a GTX 470 instead of a overclocked 460?
Thanks for the prompt reply. The 2600 does sound good to me as well. I already have a GTX 460 which I had ordered for the HP computer. It's an Evga with lifetime warrenty so I figured I'd use it in the new computer.

Hi, just a question: Why don´t you get a GTX 470 instead of a overclocked 460? The GTX 470 has more cores regardiung to the nVidia site, so there may be more power. Ans the overclocked grafic cards are more expensive and make more heat. Because nVidia has allready introduced the sucessor of the GTX 470 the price is falling right now, so the GTX470 might be worth a thought.I personally would get the i7-2600, cause I´ve heared that SB runs FSX smoother at sock speed as an i7-950.
Hands down Sandy Bridge i7 processor, no contest, not even close.

+1 on Sandy Bridge. I'd recommend returning the card also, and getting a 470 or waiting for the 560.

Thanks for the prompt reply. The 2600 does sound good to me as well. I already have a GTX 460 which I had ordered for the HP computer. It's an Evga with lifetime warrenty so I figured I'd use it in the new computer.
Ok, than I understand this. I´ve just wondered. I did the same with my actual GTX 260. Bought it as an upgrade to my old system and ported it over to the new one instaed of a GTS 250.

Thanks for the reply s - That's what I was hoping folks would say.

I did the same with my actual GTX 260.
Video cards today seem to last a long time. I like to keep using them as long as practical...