Sign in to follow this  
z4me

Defeating Pirates should not be a chore for honest buyers

I can't believe the developers are feeding the trolls on this thread! Jahman sounds like the laziest simmer on the planet with OCD... Has no time to install addd-ons but plenty of time to write pages of garbage. Others clearly have no idea how incredibly small the add-on market is for FS, seriosuly don't feed the trolls, fourtunately most simmers don't think like them.

Rob Prest

Why not?Todd
I simply meant that FS add-on payware providers can't flex the legal muscle that the likes of Sony or Disney can when it comes to inventing dubiously legal terms & conditions, that's all.Lest there be any doubt, I'm no friend of software piracy and I've no issue with the measures that FS payware sellers already use to protect their product against it, as I've already indicated.

That's reality folks that's not a spur at any developer. Seriously as they say you guys need to get out more and see what the console guys are actually selling for $60 bucks when they end up raking in half a billion in sales on one title.
That's right! Sometimes I ask myself why bother creating some intricate, technical sim that appeals to a handful of people scattered throughout the world when I could make a simple Apple App like 'Angry Birds' that probably sells more in a day than FS2Crew does in 5 years :( But, then again, making a some geeky technical simulation is a lot more fun than making some mindless game where you just slingshot birds at various structures all day :( As for piracy in general: My attitude is you can't really stop it, so I don't get stressed over it. Everything gets cracked. You just hope that if the person pirates the software, and they like it and use it, that they'll do the honorable thing and buy it.

One might hope, in the sad event of a software developer passing on to the great airport in the sky, that someone in our simming fraternity will give a EULAgy.AR

One might hope, in the sad event of a software developer passing on to the great airport in the sky, that someone in our simming fraternity will give a EULAgy.AR
Hmmmm...Something else we have to click the "Accept" button for.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Sorry, I don't have the time to do all that.

Sometimes I ask myself why bother creating some intricate, technical sim that appeals to a handful of people scattered throughout the world when I could make a simple Apple App like 'Angry Birds' that probably sells more in a day than FS2Crew does in 5 years :(
Then why not do it Bryan? I know I would if I had the ability to do so...

Konrad

Then why not do it Bryan? I know I would if I had the ability to do so...
I was going to say something like one of those young musicians and say "I do in the name of art, man!"... "I'll never compromise and sell out to the big commercial interests!" :( But that would be silly.Making flightsim add-ons is fun. More fun in my view than making a silly Apple App or some mindless shooter, even though the later two may sell a heck of a lot more.

Installing and registering one add-on indeed is a small effort and no one here is complaining about that.But re-installing FSX when you have hundreds of add-ons (aircraft, scenery, utilities) takes DAYS!No developper has a right to minimize such a gargantuan task!Gargantua2.jpgRemember, we pay to fly and not to re-register, re-authorize software when we need to do a reinstall.Most of us have families, you know? Try telling the missus: "Sorry, hon, can't hang with you and the kids the next few days because I have to do an FSX reinstall and getting all the add-ons re-registered/re-installed/re-whatever is going to take me days." Oh, and for max effect make sure your mother-in-law is present when you say this.Cheers,- jahman.
This is the funniest thing I have ever heard. Since you are such a loyal customer I am sure you can get Fr Bill from Eaglesoft and Jim from HiFi to come to divorce court and testify that they made you ignore your wife and kids because of there DRM.As far as this topic goes, I couldn't care less what devs use for DRM or charge for there products. As long as the terms are clearly stated prior to the purchase, it's good enough for me. There is no such thing as a FS that I or anyone NEEDS. If you do not like the terms of use, then don't buy it. Let the market determine what the devs must do to sell products.Willy

Guest jahman

Presenting the...Aerosoft (Add-On) LauncherOK, all you unsupporting developpers and naysayers in this thread, this is EXACTLY what I have been talking about all-along:Presenting the Aerosoft (Add-On) Launcher: Screens and info.All of you saying it can't be done, Aerosoft has done it!All of you saying this type of functionality isn't needed, Aerosoft thinks otherwise!One small step for Aerosoft, one large leap for Add-On Management!The next step is for ALL add-ons to be managed this way in a single app (with each developper deciding how they want to implement security but without requiring the simmer to re-enter previously entered keys, email address, whatnots.)Attention Developpers: Protect your industry! Get together, respect simmer's personal time and make add-on management easier via automation.Attention Simmers: If you support intelligent, time-saving management of add-on set-up and activation, be sure to email the MS FLight team at: msflight@microsoft.comCheers,- jahman.

Yeah... don't hold your breath... Aerosoft only uses it for 'their' products. Only theirs.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest jahman

You're right, Ed, and only for one of their products so far (the WeezeX airport, although they say they will cover third-party add-ons that publish through them), but what if all (major)developpers got together with Microsoft and hashed something out? I'm not a developper, so my say doesn't count for much, but you all heavyweights would get heard by Microsoft, right? Can we count on you? :-)Cheers,- jahman.

To do that would mean Microsoft would get a 'cut' of whatever I make off the addon. Considering what I make doesn't buy lunch at a burger joint... it's really a matter of zero value for myself.So... think about it.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest veeray

actually the new installer isn't all too much different the previous one... infact if anything it's more time consuming as you now have to activate every product individually over the net.

Guest jahman
actually the new installer isn't all too much different the previous one... infact if anything it's more time consuming as you now have to activate every product individually over the net.
Not really: Re-Activation is now a single click per add-on, without needing to input any email, name, registration keys, etc., so that's pretty practical if you migrate to a new PC.Cheers,- jahman.