Sign in to follow this  
z4me

Defeating Pirates should not be a chore for honest buyers

Not really: Re-Activation is now a single click per add-on, without needing to input any email, name, registration keys, etc., so that's pretty practical if you migrate to a new PC.Cheers,- jahman.
Developers moan about their work being pirated, my understanding of the Aerosoft Launcher is that it personalises the installed product so if any attempt is made to upload said product Aerosoft in their own words "knows where to come looking"Bryan.

How do I help defeat the Pirates?With my wallet. That's how!You will NEVER totally remove scammers, crooks, liars, cheapskates, and fraudsters from our digital society. But...honest persons can 'defeat and/or diminish' the risk that piracy threatens to those that enjoy our hobby, by simply keep doing what we are doing. Pay a price you agree to, for product received. Ask yourself,... even if you might have the technical background and coding know-how to create the wonderful flight simulation products we are using and daily enjoying---would you, or can you devote the many hundreds of hours for concept, code-development, and beta testing? Not I! I'd rather devote some of my pay towards purchasing them...and be done with it. Pay the asking price, download, and enjoy. Instant gratification.The day that fair compensation to the developers dwindles to the point that they pursue other interests and leave off further product production...is the day that Piracy 'wins' and destroys for all. For all! Our paying out a fair price for product wanted, is our combined assurance that we will continue to enjoy new directions and more focused technology as regards Flight Simulation.This is how I view my purchasing of flight simulation products...I am INVESTING in their continuance! This is a good and true investment.Mitch

How do I help defeat the Pirates?With my wallet. That's how!You will NEVER totally remove scammers, crooks, liars, cheapskates, and fraudsters from our digital society. But...honest persons can 'defeat and/or diminish' the risk that piracy threatens to those that enjoy our hobby, by simply keep doing what we are doing. Pay a price you agree to, for product received. Ask yourself,... even if you might have the technical background and coding know-how to create the wonderful flight simulation products we are using and daily enjoying---would you, or can you devote the many hundreds of hours for concept, code-development, and beta testing? Not I! I'd rather devote some of my pay towards purchasing them...and be done with it. Pay the asking price, download, and enjoy. Instant gratification.The day that fair compensation to the developers dwindles to the point that they pursue other interests and leave off further product production...is the day that Piracy 'wins' and destroys for all. For all! Our paying out a fair price for product wanted, is our combined assurance that we will continue to enjoy new directions and more focused technology as regards Flight Simulation.This is how I view my purchasing of flight simulation products...I am INVESTING in their continuance! This is a good and true investment.Mitch
How very well said!DJ

How very well said!DJ
Hi allTime for my 2 cents. First of all I believe 100% in protecting one's time and efforts in producing software that we purchase and for the most part enjoy, if it turns out to be as good as the publisher say's it is (Not all advertising is the truth!) . My only beef about the re-install process is after an FS9 re-install which has been as many as four times in one month, apart from the time it takes is my choice.I am not one for spending hours and hours or even days trying to solve problems although I do very much appreciate the help offered by many on all of these forums,.....(GOD BLESS EM ALL) is when the publisher decides that I can only reinstall hers or his product three time or less and if you happen to do that on the first day of a month you must wait until the beginning of the next month until the server is reset before you can install the product again. I want to fly with FS9 not problem solve. I will always rather do the full reinstall but I do not think that I should be treated like a criminal because of that. I also have spent a lot of money on my addons and hardware too because that's the right thing to do! I'm done, like I said just my 2 cents.............John :(

Hi allTime for my 2 cents. First of all I believe 100% in protecting one's time and efforts in producing software that we purchase and for the most part enjoy, if it turns out to be as good as the publisher say's it is (Not all advertising is the truth!) . My only beef about the re-install process is after an FS9 re-install which has been as many as four times in one month, apart from the time it takes is my choice.I am not one for spending hours and hours or even days trying to solve problems although I do very much appreciate the help offered by many on all of these forums,.....(GOD BLESS EM ALL) is when the publisher decides that I can only reinstall hers or his product three time or less and if you happen to do that on the first day of a month you must wait until the beginning of the next month until the server is reset before you can install the product again. I want to fly with FS9 not problem solve. I will always rather do the full reinstall but I do not think that I should be treated like a criminal because of that. I also have spent a lot of money on my addons and hardware too because that's the right thing to do! I'm done, like I said just my 2 cents.............John :(
I guess I just don't understand why the heck you have to re-install that often. If you do, then it must truely be a pain. On the other hand, I suspect most of us don't have to do that and the burden is trivial. The only time I ever have to re-install anything is when I bring up a new machine and that's every few years at most. Most of my add-ons come from developers that use the F1 wrapper or the FSDT type of engine and those are a piece of cake. If a software house gives me pain, I don't buy from them again. Just that simple and no worries - there hasn't been a piece of FS software made yet that is worth agonizing about. I just don't think that the angst I see on the forums with regard to DRM is neccessary or justified...DJ

I guess I just don't understand why the heck you have to re-install that often. If you do, then it must truely be a pain. On the other hand, I suspect most of us don't have to do that and the burden is trivial. The only time I ever have to re-install anything is when I bring up a new machine and that's every few years at most. Most of my add-ons come from developers that use the F1 wrapper or the FSDT type of engine and those are a piece of cake. If a software house gives me pain, I don't buy from them again. Just that simple and no worries - there hasn't been a piece of FS software made yet that is worth agonizing about. I just don't think that the angst I see on the forums with regard to DRM is neccessary or justified...DJ
Hi I have to reinstall that often because I make mistakes it's that simple. Many of my purchases also come from the same places as yours but sadly not all of them. See I told you I make mistakes! Now do you understand?.............JohnJust%20Kidding.gif

Hi I have to reinstall that often because I make mistakes it's that simple. Many of my purchases also come from the same places as yours but sadly not all of them. See I told you I make mistakes! Now do you understand?.............JohnJust%20Kidding.gif
Indeed I do...DJ

I guess I just don't understand why the heck you have to re-install that often.
I don't understand that myself! I installed FSX and FS9 once; FSX six years ago, FS9 nearly twelve years ago. I did update FSX with SP1, SP2 and Acceleration as they became available.Every "mistake" I've ever made (and trust me, developer or not I do make a LOT of "mistakes!") was correctable without requiring a reinstallation.A full reinstallation of either sim version should be absolutely the LAST resort, not the first... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator