Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Dreier

Payware Airports, Scenery, etc.. Too Much?

This may be a dumb question, but in light of a recent problem I want to ask it. I am using 28 payware airports, the complete FSGenesis library, UTUSA, UTCanada/Alaska, UTEurope, The UTCity/FSGLandclass sandwich, GEPro and ActiveSky/Graphics 6.5. On top of that, all of the aircraft I fly are payware such as LDS, PMDG, JustFlight/PSS, LEONARDO MD-82, etc.. In other words, I have a lot of extra things going on in my FS9 (and a lot of $$ invested over time :( ). Recently I've had a problem with my computer locking up/freezing on a certain flight segment. Specifically, KDAL to KMDW on descent, about 45 miles SW of KMDW when approaching 10,000 feet. At first I thought it might be a conflict between my payware KMDW and KORD, but the more I think about it, I wonder if I just might have too much going on for the computer to handle. I've monitored temperatures and they seem okay. Also, I'm not getting a BSOD - but rather an actual lockup or freeze whereby the only way to get out is to shut down the computer by pressing and holding the computer start button. When it reboots I get no error message other than that it shut down unexpectedly. There's no message showing any errors.This leads to my question. Is it possible to have too much payware? I hope the anwer is no, but if it's yes, are there any guidelines? My specs are listed below. Thanks!!!!!

This may be a dumb question, but in light of a recent problem I want to ask it. I am using 28 payware airports, the complete FSGenesis library, UTUSA, UTCanada/Alaska, UTEurope, The UTCity/FSGLandclass sandwich, GEPro and ActiveSky/Graphics 6.5. On top of that, all of the aircraft I fly are payware such as LDS, PMDG, JustFlight/PSS, LEONARDO MD-82, etc.. In other words, I have a lot of extra things going on in my FS9 (and a lot of $$ invested over time :( ). Recently I've had a problem with my computer locking up/freezing on a certain flight segment. Specifically, KDAL to KMDW on descent, about 45 miles SW of KMDW when approaching 10,000 feet. At first I thought it might be a conflict between my payware KMDW and KORD, but the more I think about it, I wonder if I just might have too much going on for the computer to handle. I've monitored temperatures and they seem okay. Also, I'm not getting a BSOD - but rather an actual lockup or freeze whereby the only way to get out is to shut down the computer by pressing and holding the computer start button. When it reboots I get no error message other than that it shut down unexpectedly. There's no message showing any errors.This leads to my question. Is it possible to have too much payware? I hope the anwer is no, but if it's yes, are there any guidelines? My specs are listed below. Thanks!!!!!
There are more expert people on here than I am but for what it's worth, my experience says it is not harmful to have lots of addons. I have over 400 addon airports and a ridiculous number of aircraft as well as the same scenery enhancement programs etc that you mention. The only thing I think lots of addons do is increase the startup time. But once it's all loaded, I don't think it should make the kind of difference you are reporting. Good luck with fixing it - I'm sure there will be someone who can help you on here

For your particular problem, I would first start by checking for a duplicate AFCAD file somewhere in the area where this problem occurs. Duplicate AFCADs are a well-known common cause of the CTD Blues. Another similar and common problem is a bad texture on an AI plane that's being spawned at a nearby airport.On a more general note, I think there's an inherent (but manageable) problem with increased levels of add-on software, for as the level of complexity and the number of interactions increase, problems are more likely to occur. I have a very complex configuration full of add-ons, and one of the ways I combat conflicts is by keeping a detailed log of every change I make to the system, so when a problem occurs, I have a hard-copy chronological record of everything I've done in that area or to a particular add-on going all the way back to the initial system build. That practice has been the single-biggest source of clues as to where to look for and find conflicts when they do arise.Also, in FS9, I've taken to moving unneeded modules from the FS9 modules folder to a holding directory before a flight. If I'm flying the Leonardo Maddog I don't need PMDG or iFly modules, for example. Even where it does nothing to prevent conflicts, it keeps FS9's memory usage down--many people do not know that EVERY dll module in the FS9 modules folder is loaded with FS9 when it starts, and stays resident until FS9 is shut down. If you have a proliferation of add-ons, that can add up to waste of a lot of RAM space with code that isn't doing anything useful. I also go into the scenery library and uncheck unneeded sceneries...this is especially helpful in an area like New York or Paris where there might be 3-4 complex airports getting loaded when I'm only interested in seeing one of them.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

This may be a dumb question, but in light of a recent problem I want to ask it. I am using 28 payware airports, the complete FSGenesis library, UTUSA, UTCanada/Alaska, UTEurope, The UTCity/FSGLandclass sandwich, GEPro and ActiveSky/Graphics 6.5. On top of that, all of the aircraft I fly are payware such as LDS, PMDG, JustFlight/PSS, LEONARDO MD-82, etc.. In other words, I have a lot of extra things going on in my FS9 (and a lot of $ invested over time :( ). Recently I've had a problem with my computer locking up/freezing on a certain flight segment. Specifically, KDAL to KMDW on descent, about 45 miles SW of KMDW when approaching 10,000 feet. At first I thought it might be a conflict between my payware KMDW and KORD, but the more I think about it, I wonder if I just might have too much going on for the computer to handle. I've monitored temperatures and they seem okay. Also, I'm not getting a BSOD - but rather an actual lockup or freeze whereby the only way to get out is to shut down the computer by pressing and holding the computer start button. When it reboots I get no error message other than that it shut down unexpectedly. There's no message showing any errors.This leads to my question. Is it possible to have too much payware? I hope the anwer is no, but if it's yes, are there any guidelines? My specs are listed below. Thanks!!!!!
Hi Chuck,I don't think your lockup problem is related to too many 3rd party addons. If you know roughly where that flight will lockup the computer I would first suggest flying towards that area in a default aircraft. If it still locks up you can eliminate the 3rd party aircraft. If it doesn't then try different 3rd party aircraft until you find one it does lockup with.Next, make a note of the lat / lon where it locks up and slew the aircraft through 90 degrees and fly towards it from another direction. If you can do that from 4 directions you might be able to determine the size of the area that causes lockups.I had a similar experience last year when FS9 locked up in an area to the NW of Seattle. By flying towards this area from the N, E, S and W I determined the lockup area was a rectangle. The only adon software I had installed for that area was Ultimate Terrain (USA) and Ground Environment. Further testing with UT (US) showed that an option named enabling streams caused the problem. I disabled that option and haven't had the problem since.Your problem may be different but by switching aircraft, switching scenery layers off it should be possible to determine what is causing the lockups. It's irritating but by a process of elimination you should be able to nail it. In the end I got so fedup with the lockups around Seattle I was determined to get to the bottom of it. The problem was something that never even crossed my mind.The fact that your lockups are restricted to such a small area should be helpful.Good luck.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Like it was mentioned, I've also heard of others complain of flying over a spot that results in computer lock. More than likely, it's a duplicate AFCAD. Suggest the tool ScanAFD to help you scan for duplicates. Best regards,David VegaColonel, USAF (still active, but not for long) :(

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Thanks for the input - lots of good suggestions. I checked for duplicate AFCADS and found nothing. I also flew the route using two separate aircraft (iFly 737BBJ and PMDG 737 w/BBJ livery). With both, the lockup happened about the same time. This leads me to believe there might be something in the scenery and I will work to see if modifying my UT settings eliminates the problem (I do use enhanced streams, etc.). I might also fly to KMDW via a different STAR from a different direction to see if the problem exists that way.I do have 2 questions relating to the posts. My modules folder contains MANY .dll's and they aren't any subfolders. Only a few of the .dll's seem to be identifiable as belonging to an aircraft such as PMDG, LDS, etc.. Is there an easy way to move files to a separate directory until needed? How do you know what files to move?Secondly, is there any benefit to delselecting all of the airports not being used for a particular flight? Obviously this is easy to do in the scenery library, but my understanding is that the airport sceneries don't load until you are close to a particular airport. In other words, they aren't taking up resources or presenting conflicts. Of course, In any event, I'll now deselect KORD when flying to KMDW and vice-versa, or the same with KJFK and KEWR, etc..

Hi Chuck,The fact that you have UT(USA) is significant. I would disable enhance streams first and see what difference that makes. The fact that this lockup is restricted to one specific area is a major clue. If it was related to 3rd party aircraft they would happen in a lot more places.Regarding DLLs you should be able to identify the author of each by opening Explorer and right-clicking each and select Properties. The various tabs will give author information. Use FSUIPC.DLL as a starting point for what to expect. All DLLs should reside in the main modules folder.I wouldn't deselect areas in Scenery Library. It's easy to forget to enable them again and then you'll be wondering where the scenery has gone if you go to somewhere different. You're right in assuming FS only loads the scenery for the saved flight in the FS9.INI file. It may check the integrity of the other scenery folders but that's it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Follow up. I flew the same STAR this afternoon to KMDW, but with a different initial fix. It was flown successfully without any lockup. I did uncheck my payware KORD before the trip, and also unchecked (eliminated) Enhanced Streams, Coastlines, etc. in UTUSA. Thanks everyone for your help and input.

That sounds good Chuck. But just so you can satisfy yourself it is the UT Enable Streams bug enable it and fly the route again. That will confirm it and you can relax. Big%20Grin.gif

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I would say your problem is memory or lack of it, FS needs all the memory you can throw at it. I now have windows 64 with the 4gig switch turned on an 6 gig of ram. I used to get the lock up you describe anywhere near london heathrow, now I can fly there from anywhere in the world with the PMDG 747 and all the sliders maxed out with active sky in any conditions and with VFR london and both EGLL & EGKK from uk 2000 with out the slightest twitch. Get as much ram as your machine can handle with flight sim and you should be hot to trot I also have in excess of 400 ad ons and loads of additionl aircraft, so there is no magic limit its a matter of your machine fiding the correct files for the scenery area and as you get lower so the graphic loading incresses and the memory gets used up as your hard drive gets full.... Hope this helps you set things up to run smoother Geoff

Geoff, would you provide a link or some detail on a 4 gig switch. Note that I am using Windows 7-64. I'm not familiar with this. thanks.