Sign in to follow this  
Guest MSMITH6

Iron Knuckles DC-9 Users

Guest MSMITH6

Hi All-I can't seem to get a response from the appropriate forum site, so I thought I'd throw this out here to possibly find someone who can help. I'm absolutely loving this bird, but I've discovered some things I'm unclear on: 1. When setting barometric pressure in Kohlsman, I cannot get all the values. If I need 29.93 I can only get 29.92 and 29.96 for example. In other words, I can not dial in single digit changes. 2. As of now, I am NOT doing the "cold and dark" start. Kind of by trial and error I am able to extinguish all of the lights on the overheads except for 2. (Since I'm not at home right now I'm kinda going by memory on the specific lights). The APU GEN OFF and APU COOLING (or something to that effect) remain on. Since I'm not using the APU anymore it makes sense that the APU generator is off, but why do you have a light to state the obvious? 3. I've read a lot regarding the yaw damper but I can't figure out the end result of the discussion. I can turn the switch for rudder hold on that is on the main instrument panel. The light next to the switch goes on, but the blue overhead light regarding Mach Trim (?) stays on. Question - Do I have to add the line in the aircraft configuration file to enable yaw damper for it to be truly working? Will the warning light ever go off? Is any of this even worth worrying about?4. Does anyone know of a site that gives the performance data and specs for a DC-9-31? I can find a -10, or a -41, seems like everything but a -31. It is a -31 in the program isn't it?Thanks for any and all help in advance. If these questions are in the POH, I apologize but I've read it over and over and will have to claim the "can't see the forest for the trees" defense! Mike Smith

Hi Mike,I'm a big fan of the IK DC-9 but quite new with it myself. So I'll try to answer SOME of your questions, but not all.. :-)1. This sounds weird. It's the first time I hear of this problem and don't have it myself. Are you using the mouse roller to change the the reading? Maybe it's mouse related. If so, try doing it by left-clicking on the knob.2. I'm still wondering about that APU GEN OFF light myself but APU cooling MUST be turned on from the protected switch in the bottom right corner of the APU panel. Also, you need to have air conditioning on and the relevant AC switch on the APU panel turned on too. That should do it.3. The yaw damper will be turned on when you hit the "rudder hold" switch. Actually, that is that yaw damper switch. However, this has nothing to do with Mach trim, which is the Autothrottle system. The light will stay on but who cares as it does not trigger the Master caution light..4. A small helper would be to download the DC-9 performance data pack for Flight deck companion, from the file library. It was uploaded there a few days ago. Even if you don't have FDC, the package is a very small download and contains a file which you can substitute your kneeboard reference file for, and you'll have most of the relevant tables right on you kneeboard.Hope that helps!-jet1

Guest MSMITH6

Jet1-Thanks for the response. Will check out your thoughts about things.MikePS - Flying the old birds is a lot different from plugging in the FMC data and flying away isn't it?

Another DC-9 (or airliner for that matter) newbie here. Yeah, the POH leaves a lot to be desired, at least for beginning users, and I saw a lot of posts on Flight1 support forum go unanswered. I myself had lots of questions. Getting there though.I wouldn't worry too much about the RUDDER TRAVEL UNRESTRICTED blue light on before take off even after yaw dampener is enabled, as p.14 of the POH states that for landing this light should be on, so I'm assuming it should also be on for takeoff.As far as APU annunciator lights are concerned, POH states that the APU should be shut down some time after takeoff at Captain's discretion, so until then all APU systems should probably be running (including the cooler system and doors). Is your APU temp normal? If not, you gotta play with cooling switches in APU (Air Cond Cooler and Doors) and Air Conditioning (supply switches) sections. For APU GEN OFF light to go out, the APU gen switch on CSD (electrical power) panel has to be on (p. 66 of the POH).I have the same problem with barometric pressure for cabin pressurization, the scale takes only single decimal digits. Also, to the right on the target altitude selector (Cabin Pressurization section) I seem to see another scale (something like 1.5, 2.0, and so on). No idea what it is.For DC-9-30 performance data, do a search here on Avsim for Matt Zagoren's DC-9 operations manual, it does include data on -30 series. Other two sources: www.banhof.se/~classic/d9_classic.html and www.hilmerby.com (not -30 specifically but still useful).Matt's operations manual does include a sort of tutorial section discussing all flight stages (3 pages), but it would be nice if somebody knowledgeable could produce a more extensive and comprehensive tutorial specifically for Iron Knuckles DC-9 similar to the ones put out for Captain Sim Legendary 727 or PDMG 737NG. Getting this bird airborne and then to the cruise altitude without Master Warning screaming at me all the time was pretty tough for me, since I'm totally new to airliners, not to mention vintage ones. I still have a lot of questions on my own since I would like to really understand how the systems work (how does CSD work? what systems AC and DC buses serve specifically? the whole RAT-EPR-EGT relationship, and so on and on...). There are a couple of sites on jet engines suggested in POH, still checking them out, but I haven't been successful at finding resources describing other airliner systems though (any suggestions?).Anyway, the plane is awesome and despite the steep learning curve, I'm having a blast. Still learning how to put this bird down safely...Hope this helps a little bit.M.

Guest MSMITH6

OtterSpotter-I guess my point on Yaw Damper is that some of the forums have discussed that, unless the airfile is modified, the yaw damper (even though turned on in the sim) actually is not working. I was wondering if this has been verified.In regards to the APU cooling, I'm trying to figure out why, since I'm NOT starting cold & dark and therefore did not use the APU to start, why there would be any indication of an overheat situation when it's not even turned on. With APU GEN OFF light, if you are not using the APU it only makes sense that the APU generator is off. Why the light unless you are trying to use the APU? I'm not trying to use it.Cabin Pressurization- (page 51)1. Set the Altitude Scale to your cruise altitude plus 1000'2. Set barometric scale to current setting. Round to nearest 1/103. Set climb rate to 250 (this is amount added to your actual climb rate) and note the change in the Cabin Climb dial which is to the right and below the climb rate knob.As I found out, the most important thing to do is read pages 16-18 very carefully. I always have to remember after takeoff to move the valve on the Pedestal to "climb" position.This is a great plane!Mike SmithPS - Can you move your barometer setting in the Kohlsman window in single digit increments by "clicking" with your mouse? I can't. Moves 4 digits at a time. Jet1 suggested using mousewheel and that does work for single digit changes. Seems strange.