Sign in to follow this  
jwenham

Thinking about trying VATSIM

The PC I ran it on is horrible though lol. It's like a circa 2001 PC with horrible sound etc etc. SB4 barely works... plus I don't want more wires coming from my headset!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The only problem is that you need to use your mic on the networked PC. I decided to not network SB4 because I run track IR with the TCP and the software runs off my primary rig and my mic and TCP are connected.
Well that kinda blows that idea for me then my other computer I have is in another room in my house. There really is no way to have the mic on the main computer? How much of a performance hit will there be if I run SB4 on the same computer as FSX? (system specs in sig)Jim

Jim Wenham

You won't have any issues. Look at my crap rig... I run SB4 and Track IR as well as FSX on one rig. Granted my FSX sucks in terms of crisp loaded textures but it's not because I'm running more software it's because my PC just sucks.You'll be just fine.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I will post this on the VASIM forum as well but are the floating AI normal with using sb4 or is it a VATSIM issue? Also some of my other add-ons went away including FSUIPC and FSDT add-on manager AFTER loading SB4 and it broke my DLL.XML file. After a hour or so figured out that SB4 wants to be installed 1st then the other were added back in and all was fine. Issue I am not happy with now are the floating AI. Jim

Jim Wenham

There is no 'AI' when online. You have to turn that stuff off when flying online.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I will post this on the VASIM forum as well but are the floating AI normal with using sb4 or is it a VATSIM issue?
This doesn't really have anything to do with VATSIM or SB4. It has to do with the fact that a lot of pilots use add-on scenery in which elevations, etc. are corrected, so you will see some aircraft that are higher (floating) or some that are sunk in the ground.A prime example of this is FlyTampa's Saint Marteen, Saba & Saint Barths. Pilots flying defaut FSX are about 100 feet off the ground at Saint Barths, 70 feet below at Saba and the same for Saint Marteen.

CXA001-1.jpg

VATSIM: P2 | I1

I purchased a Y cable from radio shack. One goes to the main PC, the other one is the cable I connect to my laptop mic input, likewise, the 'output' from the laptop goes INTO the line-in of the main PC, so sound-wise everything is connected and nicely integrated. (snipped)JesusI use an USB Headset on the remote for the Comms, and although I have connected both PCs in the manner you suggested never managed to get the sound to go through the Sound Card, always seems to go only via the Headset. Is there any way out of this conundrum? Any advice muchappreciated.Thanks

Hi there.I've allready try the VATSIM network,but in my opinio i prefer the IVAO network (http:\\www.ivao.aero)It´s a lot more simplyer....for me wasBest regards

Hi there.I've allready try the VATSIM network,but in my opinio i prefer the IVAO network (http:\\www.ivao.aero)It´s a lot more simplyer....for me wasBest regards
There is very little difference between the two networks... especially since they started as one.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Here are a few items that might help out anybody that is wanting to give it a go.1 - Main thing I learned it to run SB4 outside FSX and not to launch it from within FSX2 - After SB4 is installed I had to re-install FSUIPC3 - If you run windowed mode you can access SB4 and see the radio freq easier and it will save you a alt+tab switch a roo. Or you can run full screen but you may need to alt tab once in a while4 - Down side but frankly not a show stopper is that you will loose VSYNC. Trust me, after a flight or 2 you wont even care.5 - You will get a performance boost due to no AI running except for other users. Again Trust me, after a flight or 2 you wont even care. ******* has a script you can run to be able to use better aircraft models for user traffic and it works for UT2 or MyTraffic6 - Download and install VATspy so you can see where the action is.7 - HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Wenham