Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

Tree texture problem?

HiI recently "visited" RAF Coningsby - John Young's amazing scenery originally released by UKMIL. There was an odd problem with the trees placed throughout the scenery. They were surrounded by a black rectangle. The tree texture itself is visible within the rectangle and as you get closer the rectangle literally fades away and leaves the tree displaying normally. Then when you move away the rectangle fades back in again.Now I just noticed the same problem with FlyTampa's KSFO. (see screen shot). As it's happening with two totally different sceneries, one payware and the other freeware, I assume they are both using a common tree set but I can't figure out which one it is. I am running FS9 on Windows7 X64 - not sure if that's an issue or not. I have tried reinstalling the sceneries but it made no difference. Any suggestions?

HiI recently "visited" RAF Coningsby - John Young's amazing scenery originally released by UKMIL. There was an odd problem with the trees placed throughout the scenery. They were surrounded by a black rectangle. The tree texture itself is visible within the rectangle and as you get closer the rectangle literally fades away and leaves the tree displaying normally. Then when you move away the rectangle fades back in again.Now I just noticed the same problem with FlyTampa's KSFO. (see screen shot). As it's happening with two totally different sceneries, one payware and the other freeware, I assume they are both using a common tree set but I can't figure out which one it is. I am running FS9 on Windows7 X64 - not sure if that's an issue or not. I have tried reinstalling the sceneries but it made no difference. Any suggestions?
Sounds like you have another add-on using the same tree library but lacking some of the relevant textures, and that your Coningsby scenery is using that instead. Scenery designers that fill our setups with multiple copies of libraries should be [enter word of your choice here].Solving problems like these can be time-consuming and tedious, but maybe look at the file names in your Coningsby scenery and do a file search for similar names. Or possibly a re-arrangement of the order of files in your scenery.cfg may resolve the problem. It is hard to generalise in terms of solutions.John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

If memory serves there was one of the original Nova tree textures that had a bad alpha channel that causes this to happen.I will look through my notes for the specific file, as I can't find it right now.If I remember correctly this was a seasonal issue and the trees will display fine in summer and not so fine inwinter.Please test in different seasons.regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Thanks for the input guys. I will follow up on both your suggestions and report back what I findIan

Thanks for the input guys. I will follow up on both your suggestions and report back what I findIan
No luck so far. Season change = no difference. Changed position in scenery.cfg = no difference. Even eliminated all addons except KSFO from scenery.cfg = no difference.My guess so far is that it's a duplicate tree library or duplicate textures. What is so weird is the fact that the rectangles fade away and the tree displays normally when you are close to it.Any other suggestions gratefully recieved - this is one of those silly little things that you can't let go of and it's driving me nuts! (okay, I was already nuts but...) :(

No luck so far. Season change = no difference. Changed position in scenery.cfg = no difference. Even eliminated all addons except KSFO from scenery.cfg = no difference.My guess so far is that it's a duplicate tree library or duplicate textures. What is so weird is the fact that the rectangles fade away and the tree displays normally when you are close to it.Any other suggestions gratefully recieved - this is one of those silly little things that you can't let go of and it's driving me nuts! (okay, I was already nuts but...) :(
It isn't a scenery I have but amongst the bgls is there one with an obvious name that would drive the trees? If so. you could do a Windows file name search for that name (although there's no knowing that authors don't change file names) or as a last resort disable it and live without the trees.The best I can offer, I'm afraid.John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

It isn't a scenery I have but amongst the bgls is there one with an obvious name that would drive the trees? If so. you could do a Windows file name search for that name (although there's no knowing that authors don't change file names) or as a last resort disable it and live without the trees.The best I can offer, I'm afraid.John
Thanks John. I know it's not being caused by the FlyTampa KSFO as I've had that for ages with no problem. And as far as I can see with the Coningsby scenery, there's nothing it adds that should be causing a problem. I think it's something else I've installed that is causing a conflict and I've only just noticed it as I haven't flown into either destination in a while. If worse comes to worse, I will just disable the trees in both sceneries and that will be a fix. But I'm stubborn (or OCD depending on how you look at it) when it comes to things like this - both are great sceneries and I hate taking something out of them that is not itself the cause of the problem.Ian

Guest BruceU

I had the same problem the other day after installing a new video card, GTX470 and I starting playing around with the settings for the video card (antialising, etc.) and I ended up fixing the problem, unfortunately I not sure of what setting may have fixed it but thought I would mention it anyway if you want to adjust your video card settings and see if that helps. The problem as using FlyTampa's Miami scenery, using FS9 WindowsXP.BruceU

I had the same problem the other day after installing a new video card, GTX470 and I starting playing around with the settings for the video card (antialising, etc.) and I ended up fixing the problem, unfortunately I not sure of what setting may have fixed it but thought I would mention it anyway if you want to adjust your video card settings and see if that helps. The problem as using FlyTampa's Miami scenery, using FS9 WindowsXP.BruceU
Thanks Bruce. That seems feasible - the weird thing of it fading in and out doesn't seem to fit with the typical texture or .bgl conflict which is usually just a solid rectangle. I'll play around with the video settings and see what I can come up with

Guest BruceU

I checked some of my settings as follows:Antialiasing = 8xSQAntialiasing Transparency Multisampling = disabledAnisotropic = 16xTexture Filters Quality = High QualityBruceU

I believe I found the culprit. Though I did play with my video card settings as Bruce suggested, I also downloaded a new copy of Agen_XTrees_lib9_2.BGL - got rid of the old one in my Scenery/generic/scenery file and put the new one in - Ta Da! I am 99% sure that somehow that file had become corrupted. Anyway, problem solved - nice busy trees in all their glory! Thanks for the assist guys! :(

Guest BruceU

Excellent..always nice to fix a problem, happy flights !BruceU