Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

Nvidia GTX 560 Ti has arrived

For those with a gtx 560 ti on the way, note that the driver on the install CD may already be out of date (at least mine was). I used the latest gtx 560 ti driver downloaded from nvidia, 266.66; I didn't use the install CD except to verify its driver version. Zero problem, joy only...Enjoy!

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

DannyR,Did you finally get the GTX 560?How does it compare to the 5770?I am also thinking of getting a GTX 560 to replace my ATI 5770, mainly because of the slowdowns/stuttering when I fly in heavy cloudy/overcast weather.Have you seen improvements especially when flying in heavy weather?

DannyR,Did you finally get the GTX 560?How does it compare to the 5770?I am also thinking of getting a GTX 560 to replace my ATI 5770, mainly because of the slowdowns/stuttering when I fly in heavy cloudy/overcast weather.Have you seen improvements especially when flying in heavy weather?
This will help your ATI card. Must follow instructions (to rebuild shader folder see post #17 in the below linked shader thread).shaderEven a GTX 580 will struggle in clouds with an improperly tuned shader cache.

Yes, I did get the 560 Ti. I really like the improvement. It handles FSX much better than the 5770. Clouds still have an impact on the frame rate. However, not near as much. Flights in heavy cloudy weather is no where near as much of a problem. It is not perfect, but, it is close. I use Orbx PNW and flight with pretty high settings (everything is over mid setting with most maxed). I can maintain a minimum of 20+ FPS everywhere, to include in and out of KSEA in stormy cloudy weather.I would absolutely purchase the 560 Ti OC again to replace the 5770.

Danny

Thanks for your answers!Based on your comments and also on the comments of others it seems that such an upgrade brings substantial performance and image quality improvements.I am going to replace the 5770 with the 560 as soon as my budget permits.. :blush:Until then, and because I do not want to trade off realistic weather depiction (ASE+maximum cloud density) and fluid flight, I prefer to trade off some overall IQ.So, to avoid stutters in heavy weather I did the following:AA from SuperSampling to MultiSampling 2xAF from 16x to 8xturned down about 25% the autogen treesreduced the cumulus textures (REX2) to 512x512I already use Bojote's shader 3.0 modThis allows me to have very minimal to absolutely no stuttering/fps hit even under the most demanding weather conditions.

for FSX use - whats the advantage of going for a 560 over a 480 ? other than power and heat ?just - even "pre-overclocked" 480s - over here in UK are around same price as a 560 ?surely a 480 would have more grunt when using lots of FSAA etc ?

Well.. couldn't wait any more..I just ordered the MSI Twin Frozr 560 TI OC 1GB.I will test it tomorrow and report my impressions.

Well, last Friday I received my brand new MSI Twin Frozr 560 TI OC 1GB!! Big%20Grin.gifBig%20Grin.gifI immediately proceeded to replace the 5770 and installed the latest Nvidia drivers and NVidia Inspector.Please keep in mind that, as I have a relatively old CPU (q9550@3.4GHz), the UsePools=0 tweak is an absolute must to help offload the CPU and keep things smooth. I also use the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1 for the same reason.My first impressions on the switch from the 5770 to the gtx560:In overcast weather the 5770 struggled to keep up and many times failed, producing flashing clouds, vertical spikes emerging from autogen trees and heavy stutters. I tried to offload the GPU by reducing graphics setting but even without AA and AF the problems sometimes persisted.With the new 560 it's another world!! With the same settings the GPU usage is about 30-40%. No flashes, no spikes, no stutters, no nothing!!Then I started using advanced settings and filtering. Settled to AA 8xS and Transparency Multisampling enabled. The GPU load elevated to 60-80%. But.. stunning awesome visuals!! Nowhere near the 5770 jaggy world. Beautiful smooth misty fjords, valleys, mountains, without a hint of flashes - spikes - stutters even in the heaviest weather.. The 560 does not even blink when flying in heavy (ASE produced, 3 layer) clouds! Of course you have to be careful with the settings. Push it up to more advanced filtering modes (16xS, SS Transparency, Sparse Grid Supersampling) and the load goes over the top, but this is true about any card. Also you have to keep an eye to the autogen. I keep it to DENSE and continue to use TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2500TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1100 Sure the card has its limitations BUT the point is that they are well over from what I need to absolutely enjoy the sim. Which was not the case with the 5770.Also the card is completely silent when idle (very low noise at full load, never heard it when in FSX) and very cold at 31C idle and about 60-65C full load, when the 5770 was at 50C idle and well over 80C at full load. As an additional bonus the overall system temperatures dropped inside the case with the CPU cores at 4-5C lower than before!!!In short I am very, very happy about the upgrade.I am now in FSX nirvana Angel.gif

Hi I'm new on this forum.I see a lot of people have the HD5770 card from ATI and so have I. I do experience stutters now and then, but my biggest problem is the framerate. Usually at big airports I have about 16-17 fps especially at Frankfurt, Amsterdam and London, and that's with Ifly, if I use planes like the 747 the fps drops even more. My specs are:I5 760 2.8 @ 3.3 (considering setting it back cause of the temp) 4gb DDR3 RAMATI HD5770So I was hoping that buying the GTX 560 would increase the framerate. I know that cpu has a bigger impact than gpu, but I think the gpu has quite a lot to say as well. I've heard people say that the nvidia cards (especially the newer once) is better in VC. In my FSX the fps drops at once I enter virtual cockpit. So I was hoping that the GTX card would be the soloution to most of my FSX problems. To you who had the 5770, did the fps improve much after you instaled the 560?Thank you and have a nice day!

Hi I'm new on this forum.I see a lot of people have the HD5770 card from ATI and so have I. I do experience stutters now and then, but my biggest problem is the framerate. Usually at big airports I have about 16-17 fps especially at Frankfurt, Amsterdam and London, and that's with Ifly, if I use planes like the 747 the fps drops even more. My specs are:I5 760 2.8 @ 3.3 (considering setting it back cause of the temp) 4gb DDR3 RAMATI HD5770So I was hoping that buying the GTX 560 would increase the framerate. I know that cpu has a bigger impact than gpu, but I think the gpu has quite a lot to say as well. I've heard people say that the nvidia cards (especially the newer once) is better in VC. In my FSX the fps drops at once I enter virtual cockpit. So I was hoping that the GTX card would be the soloution to most of my FSX problems. To you who had the 5770, did the fps improve much after you instaled the 560?Thank you and have a nice day!
I would get a better cooler and overclock the CPU. I used to have a I5 750 @4GHz with a GTX460. Before that a 5770 and a GTX260. You are going to see an improvement if you get a GTX560 in image quality (Antialiasing ) and better performance in bad wheather posibly, but at those big airports your problem is the CPU clocks.

So If I had clocked my computer to 4ghz for instance, that would make FSX run smoother, but the other games I have like world of subways wouldn't have much difference unless I had a new graphic card I think.

So If I had clocked my computer to 4ghz for instance, that would make FSX run smoother, but the other games I have like world of subways wouldn't have much difference unless I had a new graphic card I think.
Then do both :biggrin:. Get the 560Ti and a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ for a CPU cooler if you're on a budget. It can do 3.8 - 4GHz

Hehe, but I just tested it actually and I think that my bad framerate is a GPU problem and not CPU.Just overclocked it to 3.8 and went to Amsterdam and actually had the same fps. So I'm gonna go with me gust here and probably buy a new graphic card. Cause I think the ATI 5700 series card I have is the problem. Unfortunate. There's also a lot of people having almost the same specs then me (exept the graphic card) and they have much better performance than what I do. :)

And do you get better frame rates if you OC the 5770?

The hd5770 is running at a very igh temperature allready, which means that if I OC it crashes or something.But I have decided to buy a GTX 560 card from Gainward as well as a H50 water cooling pump. SO I live in Norway and the computer parts are quite expensive in Norway (440 USD) But I'm going to NY this June, are the parts cheaper in the states? And is there a great number of computer stores in NY? Anyone?