Sign in to follow this  
FS Hub

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T vs Intel Core i7 980X

Hi all,I really would like to upgrade my current processor, the Intel Core 2 Duo E6750. I like it if I can upgrade max. to €200. An Intel Core i5 760 is about €180 but a few houres later I noticed a 6-core procces for only €200: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T.AMD Phenom II X6 1090T or Intel Core i& 980X - Wich one is most worth for his money and for FSX?AMD: around €200Intel: around €600Post your opinion about what processor would be the best for Flight Simulator X and your opinion if the price of each processor is it worth.Thanks in advantage! Regards,Steven

I would choose the Intel but thats just me.Im planning on buying a Intel core i7 2600k 3.4 GHz quad.I think its enough and u dont need 6 cores for anything except maybe if u work for NASA..:(

Mattias Nordgren   

fs2crew777.jpg

PRO-ATCX BETA TEAM

Guest wims

The i980x is on a totally different level than the 1090T, it performs much better per clock cycle. I think the 1090 performs slightly better than a i7 920 on stock speeds when the loads are highly paralell. Under single thread applications the 920 performs better. That makes it pretty obvious that the i7 980 would outperform it by a comfortable margin. But you'd probably want to overclock. The 980 can reach higher clock speeds than the 1090 during overclocking and since its already faster per clock cycle it would demolish the 1090. I would not have paid 600 for a cpu tho. FSX would not be able to use more than say 3 threads at the same time so it doesnt make much sense to buy a hexa core if your sole use for it is FSX. It wouldnt make much sense to buy the 980 either, as Intel has just released a new generation chips. If I were to buy a cpu today I'm pretty sure I would have gotten an Intel i5 2500K and overclocked the hell out of it

If I were to buy a cpu today I'm pretty sure I would have gotten an Intel i5 2500K and overclocked the hell out of it
I also was sure that the Intel Core i5 760 would be a nice one, 4 cores.- I want to run FSX smoothly with: 737NGX + REX + MyTrafficX and eventually Aerosoft airports. And I think the i5 750/760 can make it. Do you think aswell?

I also was sure that the Intel Core i5 760 would be a nice one, 4 cores.- I want to run FSX smoothly with: 737NGX + REX + MyTrafficX and eventually Aerosoft airports. And I think the i5 750/760 can make it. Do you think aswell?
the i5-750/760 is outdated now, there is the new Sandy Bridge i5-2500k or i7-2600k (the latter offers hyperthreading) Be sure to get the K chips if you go this route, they're the onle chips that are overclockable in the sandy bridge series.I have the i5-2500k at 4.8ghz with a gtx570.

the i5-750/760 is outdated now, there is the new Sandy Bridge i5-2500k or i7-2600k (the latter offers hyperthreading) Be sure to get the K chips if you go this route, they're the onle chips that are overclockable in the sandy bridge series.I have the i5-2500k at 4.8ghz with a gtx570.

Woow amazing, super! Very smoothly, I see you are running REX and an airport add-on and CaptainSim. I will google the i5-2500K immediately.btw, movie is FSX I hope?

Guest wims
Well, the NGX havent been released yet so I dont know how it performs on various hardware, but an i5 760 overclocked to around 4ghz would certainly be enough to run every addon plane available now at a respectable pace. It would be similar to an i7 950 at 4ghz. But its still a previous generation cpu and it would feel wrong to buy it today. The i5 2500k is really cheap here in Norway, looking at international webshops it looks like the 2500k is about $20 more expensive than the 760 so I would certainly buy that instead of the 760

I have the i5-2500k at 4.8ghz with a gtx570.
Thats a very very nice vid if its yours could u tell me what u are using both on the inside of the shell and what addons u have for it. :(

Mattias Nordgren   

fs2crew777.jpg

PRO-ATCX BETA TEAM

Thats a very very nice vid if its yours could u tell me what u are using both on the inside of the shell and what addons u have for it. :(
in FSX, REX - UTX - GEX - ALL FSDT US airports, PHNL, flytampa bos, buf, and tpa, captainsim 757, 767, pmdg 744, coolsky suoer80 pro.. My specs:2500k @ 4.8ghzGTX570 oc to 870/1740 and 1050mhz memory4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer Red DDR3 1600mhzGigabyte P67-UD3PCorsair TX850wFSX on its own 60gb OCZ Agility2 SSD formatted in 64k cluster sizeAnd custom watercooling :)
Woow amazing, super! Very smoothly, I see you are running REX and an airport add-on and CaptainSim. I will google the i5-2500K immediately.btw, movie is FSX I hope?
Yes, FSX.. there also is GEX and UTX.. so basically every addon you could possibly have (short of mesh, i have fsgenesis but not installed yet)You can go over to www.flightsimworld.com/forums - There are a few threads in the technical forum there started by me (b0gey_dead_six) and a few others.. there are tons of information.One link for you to get started: http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192492

Neither suggested option is good value anymore.What ever you get is going to require new MB, RAM and probably coolers, which will have to be factored into your costs. And unless you are in a position of "Money no object" - in which case you would not even be considering the AMD, you really have two choices to make, 1) New or old - if new, 2) the i5 2500k or i7 2600k? Both give about the same bang per buck, so how many bucks you got decides how much bang you get. The i7 980x can outperform the i7 2600k in a limited number of benchmarks but the extra costs involved means it bang per buck ratio is over four times worse. If your first decision was old, then you can shop around for kit being sold 2nd hand by people upgrading to SB. Your second choice then becomes between i5 7xx kit and i7 9xx kit, both of which are excellent and should serve your needs well, but do not pay over the odds. It doesn't matter how much the seller paid for them way back then, now they are 2nd hand and 2nd best to SB and their price must reflect that.

2500k @ 4.8ghzGTX570 oc to 870/1740 and 1050mhz memory4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer Red DDR3 1600mhzGigabyte P67-UD3PCorsair TX850wFSX on its own 60gb OCZ Agility2 SSD formatted in 64k cluster size
So, the Gigabyte P67-UD3P would be good for the i5 2500k? I've 4 (3.5) GB RAM, Win7 32-bit and ATI Radeon HD5570. If I upgrade now the mobo to Gigabyte P67-UD3P and my processor to a i5 2500k, FSX will run (almost) smoothly like yours? :( :blush:Sorry, I'm not very well know about computers ... :(

So, the Gigabyte P67-UD3P would be good for the i5 2500k? I've 4 (3.5) GB RAM, Win7 32-bit and ATI Radeon HD5570. If I upgrade now the mobo to Gigabyte P67-UD3P and my processor to a i5 2500k, FSX will run (almost) smoothly like yours? :( :blush:Sorry, I'm not very well know about computers ... :(
If you overclock it to 4.5ghz (which is very easy and is only a matter of changing 2 settings in the bios - easily achievable on the stock air cooler) You will be very pleased.and yes, the UD3P or the UD4 are both great boards for the price.

If you overclock it to 4.5ghz (which is very easy and is only a matter of changing 2 settings in the bios - easily achievable on the stock air cooler) You will be very pleased.and yes, the UD3P or the UD4 are both great boards for the price.
Regardsless of the ATI Radeon HD5570 and the 4GB RAM? However, I think the ATI Radeon 5570 is really good enough, the processor is most important to run FSX very well and smoothly. :(- Overclocking from 3.33 GHz (That's the default of the i5-2500K I thought?) to 4.5 GHz? Wow, isn't that a bit too much? Won't it damage the whole mobo and or processor and won't it become too hot? And last: Wich 2 easy settings I've to edit in the BIOS, from what to what?

Regardsless of the ATI Radeon HD5570 and the 4GB RAM? However, I think the ATI Radeon 5570 is really good enough, the processor is most important to run FSX very well and smoothly. :(
If your RAM is 1066 or better, you'll be fine.. the 5570 is definitely good enough to be able to run along with the 2500k, you may not be able to run at 40+ fps in most areas like me, but you'll definitely get a smooth flying experience, at 25-30fps at the most extensive addons.
Regardsless of the ATI Radeon HD5570 and the 4GB RAM? However, I think the ATI Radeon 5570 is really good enough, the processor is most important to run FSX very well and smoothly. :(- Overclocking from 3.33 GHz (That's the default of the i5-2500K I thought?) to 4.5 GHz? Wow, isn't that a bit too much? Won't it damage the whole mobo and or processor and won't it become too hot? And last: Wich 2 easy settings I've to edit in the BIOS, from what to what?
Nope, the intel chips are highly overclockable, I had my i7-920 at 4.2ghz from 2.66 for over a year and there was no degradation at all. The important thing is keeping the cpu voltage and temps down, and you can go as high as you want while keeping within range.The 2500k's turbo mode actually has it at 3.7ghz stock..They are a smaller die design (32nm) so they are much cooler than previous chips. 4.5ghz will barely need a bump on the cpu voltage, if any at all - the temps will probably be at most 5c higher than at default. Going to 4.6, 4.7 and above will start requiring more voltage.In Bios, its just a matter of raising the multiplier to 45x (for 4.5ghz) and perhaps raising voltage a bit.
If your RAM is 1066 or better, you'll be fine.. the 5570 is definitely good enough to be able to run along with the 2500k, you may not be able to run at 40+ fps in most areas like me, but you'll definitely get a smooth flying experience, at 25-30fps at the most extensive addons.Nope, the intel chips are highly overclockable, I had my i7-920 at 4.2ghz from 2.66 for over a year and there was no degradation at all. The important thing is keeping the cpu voltage and temps down, and you can go as high as you want while keeping within range.The 2500k's turbo mode actually has it at 3.7ghz stock..They are a smaller die design (32nm) so they are much cooler than previous chips. 4.5ghz will barely need a bump on the cpu voltage, if any at all - the temps will probably be at most 5c higher than at default. Going to 4.6, 4.7 and above will start requiring more voltage.In Bios, its just a matter of raising the multiplier to 45x (for 4.5ghz) and perhaps raising voltage a bit.
You can always PM me when/if you get this stuff - I will be glad to help you through 100% of the way.

Okay, sounds good DJoseph!Could you please confirm that this is the right i5 2500K you mean? I'll save the page then to make my decision, eventually.http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/CPUs_Socket_1155/Intel%28R%29/Core_en_trade_i5-2500K/483770/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Processoren&l2=Desktop&l3=Socket+1155And wich motherboard do you recommend me of this list? (I reaaally do not know the difference and what fits the best with the i5-2500K). :mellow:http://www.alternate.nl/html/categoryListing.html?cat1=16&cat1=16&cat1=16&cat1=16&cat1=16&cat2=427&cat2=426&cat2=424&cat2=515&cat2=235&cat3=0&cat3=0&cat3=0&cat3=0&cat3=0&tn=HARDWARE&l1=Moederborden&l2=Intel&criteriasCount=6&bfbox=1Thanks in advantage and, ... many thanks for your help and quick responses!