Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

J41 FMC Guide

A little while ago, a thread was posted about the FMC being difficult to work with, compared to what most of us may be used to. In response, I decided to create a PDF FMC Guide to explain how to get it up and running, and de-mystify the process. It's now available for download in the AVSIM File Library.Linked here:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=156113&CatID=fsxmiscA fuel planner is also in the works, which will expand upon the simple rules of thumb out there. Expect a separate post for whenever that arrives (no release date?!? *gasp*).Enjoy,

Kyle Rodgers

Just what I need. Thank you very much.I had my manual open to the FMC section when I found this, great timing.John Watts

Glad you guys like it. I'll hopefully have the fuel planner out soon.

Kyle Rodgers

A little while ago, a thread was posted about the FMC being difficult to work with, compared to what most of us may be used to. In response, I decided to create a PDF FMC Guide to explain how to get it up and running, and de-mystify the process. It's now available for download in the AVSIM File Library.Linked here:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=156113&CatID=fsxmiscA fuel planner is also in the works, which will expand upon the simple rules of thumb out there. Expect a separate post for whenever that arrives (no release date?!? *gasp*).Enjoy,
just in time as I bought FS2Crew for the J41 and enjoy flying with it very much while waiting for the NGX. just 1 question while downloading your tutorial: anybody else realized that FSX crashed to desktop under these circumstances: I am flying. While flying I select an arrival airport, select the rwy and the star/ta and when I hit enter on the FMC my J41 crashes. is this a feature? I mean, wouldn't I be able to select just an arrival airport without having selected a departure airport before? Reason I ask is that it works perfectly once I set a departure airport and THEN the arrival airport?!phil

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Hi Kyle,thank you for this FMC guide. Exactly what I need for my cockpit preparations.You should put your name in the footer of the guide.Martin

Martin Renner

just in time as I bought FS2Crew for the J41 and enjoy flying with it very much while waiting for the NGX. just 1 question while downloading your tutorial: anybody else realized that FSX crashed to desktop under these circumstances: I am flying. While flying I select an arrival airport, select the rwy and the star/ta and when I hit enter on the FMC my J41 crashes. is this a feature? I mean, wouldn't I be able to select just an arrival airport without having selected a departure airport before? Reason I ask is that it works perfectly once I set a departure airport and THEN the arrival airport?!phil
I haven't noticed this behavior.
Hi Kyle,thank you for this FMC guide. Exactly what I need for my cockpit preparations.You should put your name in the footer of the guide.Martin
Thanks Martin! Yeah, I thought of that when I glanced through it the other day, but it was after the fact and I didn't feel it merited wasting AVSIM's file moderators' time by uploading a "new" version with only my name added. Part of me must still be used to tech writing for other people, where their name gets added after I draft, first proof and send them the rough doc. Who knows...Thanks again, to you and everyone else.(Still testing the fuel planner to ensure accuracy.)

Kyle Rodgers

I haven't noticed this behavior.
thx. will send a ticket to pmdg. but not now, just after the ngx was released - don't want to keep them from finalizing the ngx :-)

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Thank you for taking the time with this guide! I bought this bird almost a year ago and haven't gotten around to getting deep into it --until now--.BTW I also think it's worthy of a sticky!On a side note, I believe that it would be worth the time to explain quickly in the guide units used in some entries. For instance: RESERVE fuel. Is that in pounds, gallons? Just my .02, not that you asked.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Thank you for taking the time with this guide! I bought this bird almost a year ago and haven't gotten around to getting deep into it --until now--.BTW I also think it's worthy of a sticky!On a side note, I believe that it would be worth the time to explain quickly in the guide units used in some entries. For instance: RESERVE fuel. Is that in pounds, gallons? Just my .02, not that you asked.
Me not asking is no reason to not give an opinion. Opinions are take them or leave them, but it would certainly make sense to provide and expanded version. I'll look into it when I get home tonight. Thanks Zach.
Thanks for this guide,I never knew how to enter airways =P
You're welcome. Yeah, the FMC is slightly awkward compared to most others.

Kyle Rodgers

On a side note, I believe that it would be worth the time to explain quickly in the guide units used in some entries. For instance: RESERVE fuel. Is that in pounds, gallons? Just my .02, not that you asked.
Fuel is always lb or kg in a Turboprop or Turbine powered aircraft, as this is what you are burning, regardless of the specific weight of a certain fuel type. The specific heat is what counts here, not the volume.Fuel is liter/gallons if used in a reciprocating engine.There may be exceptions to this, but they should be treated as such.Other than that, every weight in the J41 is generally expressed in lbs. As the gross weight, payload, fuel load etc is measured in lbs, using another unit for the RESERVE would be bogus.Cheers, Stefan

- Stefan Dittrich

pmdg_j41_banner.jpg

Fuel is always lb or kg in a Turboprop or Turbine powered aircraft, as this is what you are burning, regardless of the specific weight of a certain fuel type. The specific heat is what counts here, not the volume.Fuel is liter/gallons if used in a reciprocating engine.There may be exceptions to this, but they should be treated as such.Other than that, every weight in the J41 is generally expressed in lbs. As the gross weight, payload, fuel load etc is measured in lbs, using another unit for the RESERVE would be bogus.Cheers, Stefan
Thank you Stefan. Beginners really stand to learn from guides like the op and answers such as yours.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules