Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wang D. Doodle

Landing the Tu 154 in Fs2002

Guest GB

Hi all,I hope somebody can help me here.I have the Aeroflot Tu154 which I can take off ( just ) fly between 2 points but I cannot land it at all, unless crashing into the trees outside Omsk counts as landing. As soon as I slow down to just below 400kms to extend the landing gear and start lowering the flaps it just goes nose up and stalls every time. The auto pilot stops me trimming the nose back down and I need the auto pilot for an ils landing as I can't do any other :-)I can manage MS default Boeings ok and am wondering if the default planes are much simplified or if the TU is not configured correctly.If anyone can give advice on landing this thing I would be very grateful. In 1 1/2 weeks I have to go on a couple of them so I hope they do fly a bit better than this really.Many thanksGraham

Guest Wang D. Doodle

Which version of the Tu154 are you using (aircraft and panel?). The autopilot works differently from the defaults and some of the controls and gauges are also different. I'm assuming you can't read the manual which is in Russian.Wang

Guest GB

Thanks for the reply.I am using the Tu154 by Roman Skorykh and the panel tu154-panel 3 from avsim.ru. You are correct in assuming I can't read the manual, its a shame it hasn't been translated into english. My partner's russian and hopefully we will be together again at the end of next week so if I ask her nicely maybe she will translate it for me :-)regardsGraham

Guest Wang D. Doodle

Great shot of that landing right on the center-line! I love Tu-154s (in the sim and in real life, many years back). Have you come across the one with the virtual cockpit? You can find it in the avsim libary by searching for the name of the designer: Tibor Kokai. Fantastic quality. There are Aeroflot repaints for it. I use this panel: Tu154B-2_panel_4_0 which is a beauty except that you can't open the engineer's (sub) panel or it shuts down the engines (Shift + 2). So I edited the panel file to get rid of that subpanel entirely. Since I got into this aircraft I have not had the slightest inclination to fly any other big jets!Here are the guidelines I use for an ILS approach:12 NM/20 KM out:flaps 3300 kts - speed hold onheading hold onaltitude hold onapproach hold armed (on the panel I use, both buttons lit up)*************Lined up (localizer captured):Speed 280 kts. (on the panel I use, turn off speed hold, let speed decay, turn speed hold back on at 280)*************Glide slope active, one dot above the glideslope:gear down*************On the glideslopefull flapsFor me, this plane makes beautiful autolands (wasn't even expecting it the first time!)In the real world, the Tu-154 is a safe plane in mechanical terms. Most of the ones flying in Russia are relatively new (considerably newer than the average US airliner).BBC news (July 4, 2001):"A total of 923 have been built . . . Since its service entry, some 28 154s have been lost in accidents, a figure about normal for the quantity, years of service and technology of the type. . . . The accident record of the 154 compares quite well with the 68 [boeing] 727s lost of over 1,600 built." And they're surely particularly careful in Omsk!I envy you your nice flightsim landings but, even more, your upcoming trip (in more ways than one, for sure;). Enjoy every minute of it,Wang

Czesc Wang! Z Krakowa?Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

GrahamAre you the same Graham I've been talking to by e-mail?Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Guest GB

Hello Gavin & WangYes I am the same, hopefully there isn't too many like me about :-)I have just downloaded the new Tu154 but haven't tried landing it yet. Is the passenger view only available in 2004 or should I be able to get it with 2002 as well?Also could any kind person with 2004 email me a screen shot of omsk tsentralny airport as I am interested to see if it has been improved since 2002.My email address is grahamrfd@supanet.comIve just installed a CH yoke and it really does make a difference to how the big jets handle, I just need to find something to lubricate it a little as it sticks a bit.RegardsGraham

So Graham, are you off to Omsk soon?Can't help with the screenshot as I only use 2K2.Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Guest GB

Hi Gavin,Im off in just over a week. A look on the flight deck of Tu154 would be nice but after 9/11 I doubt that would be allowed. What model do you fly in 2002 as I have downloaded the 2004 version whoich is lovely. Just a problem with the fuel as I just flew mine to Omsk and ran short of fuel 3/4 of the way there and thats starting out with 100%. Id also like to find out how to disable what I assume is the low fuel alarm as I'm deaf now after 30 min of that sounding :-)Take care for nowGraham

GrahamI fly the -b2 in 2K2. Nobody's done an -M, except for AI. Fuel flow's fine in 2K2. To be honest I didn't know there was a proper upgrade for 2K4 so maybe that's why you're having fuel probs.Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Guest Wang D. Doodle

"Czesc Wang! Z Krakowa?"Yo Gavin -- Wang z Krakowa? Nooooooo!!!!!!!Jazda Jazda Jazda....

WangJa tez nie. Z anglii.Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Guest Wang D. Doodle

There's a very nice article on the virtual-cockpit Tupolev 154 at FS Inflight magazine - www.fsinflight.com - and it shows the clickable interior. Too bad the guy didn't have any translations of the operating manual. However, he points out that the "tool tips" option (where little labels appear when you hold your cursor over a button or gauge on the panel) can help in figuring out your way around.Gavin -- spytaj polke (ta slodka blondynka, ktora pracuje w poczcie, na przyklad) -- co to znaczy:"Wang z Krakowa -- Noooo!!"

Guest GB

Hiregarding the problem with Dimitry's panel, i have found that if I start the engines using the panel then it as ok to open during flight without the engines cutting out again. After the help given on Flightsim.ru forum there is no excuse now for not starting the engines manually :-)On the downside since I started playing with the load manager I can't open my Tu154 anymore, It crashes my flightsim :-(Hopefully a new computer will arrive tomorrow though with 2004 included in the deal so I will try again then.regardsgraham