Sign in to follow this  
Guest rugerdog

Is there no way for smooth wind transition with FS2004?

Guest rugerdog

Hello,Among all the add-ons, including FSMeteo, Activesky, FS2004 real weather, FSIUPC, et al, is there simply no way to have smooth wind transtition in FS2004? I've had so many approaches goofed up by radical wind shifts now using any kind of real weather that I'm just about ready to shelf FS2004 altogether and go with a finely tuned copy of FS2002 again. I like the new clouds, the eye candy, ect with FS2004, but I really can't continue to deal with the arcade style wind system anymore. I'd rather go back to the FS2002 version and have at least so modicum of real-world realism.Thank you for any insight.

there is work currently being done on FSMeteo to specifically address this issue. I understand that it is working very well too. I suspect the next build will be coming out soon as they always follow a steady cycle.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Mike, Great to hear...this remaining artifact with FS2004 is the single most disruptive and negative thing about the sim with me. I know that Pete Dowson is well aware of it and has not been able to develop a work-around because of the way the new sim obtains and interpolates weather. All of the FSUIPC versions to smooth weather transitions seem to work, on the micro level, which is pretty useless when you get a 50 knot shift and a 60 deg degree shift at FL310 with no warning or transition or even a 10 knot crosswind shift on approach (put me into a hangar at Aspen the other day in a DH-8). After this critical issue gets resolved, hopefully by Marc,maybe we can refine the transitions from severe clear to rain and soup and back like I saw at KSFO this weekend when there was a large low with rain all over the CA coast. The irony is that FS2004 was touted as really improving the weather engine, which it has, but has been a frustrating step back in the weather DYNAMICS, making you wonder every time there is a new release about how some things got by all of the extensive beta testing. Anyway, despite this negative tome your news is encouraging.aloha

Guest rugerdog

Captain,I agree with your observations 100 percent. To me personally, every improvement to the weather system in FS2004 is completely negated by the abrupt wind transitions. It's like having to fly with severe wind shear each and every day.You ask about Microsoft beta testing Flightsim before release? Yeah, right :) The bottom line is the dollar and their marketing/release schedules for software are not compromised by such petty issues as programming deficiencies and software bugs. In addition, Microsoft corporate culture is to accept ( or ignore? :) ) design flaws and push the product at the specified D-Day at all costs.And Goodness forbid, don't say the 'P' (patch) word. Microsoft Flight Simulator developers run and hide when you say that, cringing in terror. Frankly I view MSFS2004 as strictly being a scenery operating system, instead using aftermarket products to bring it up to the quality I expect including planes, panels, flight models, ATC and yes, weather too.

Guest rugerdog

Mike,I own the latest version of FSMeteo and this is indeed good information to hear! Do you mind if I ask the source of your information about it's next version release and the the wind transition issue?Thank you.