Sign in to follow this  
Paul Kane

FS 2002 & FS9 with 64bit Computers

Guest mac1

Hi allAs everbody else I am tryng to get things working with FS9, and thinking of upgrading my computer again, "as always"I was wondering if FS2002 & FS9 will be able to run on computers which have AMD64bit processors & Windows XP Pro 64bit, which I beleve will be out next year sometime.I have been told that XP 64bit will be able to support up to 32gb of ram which I think would be a great help with flight simulators. there again I wonder what the cost would be, probably expensive.what do you thinkMac :-spacecraft

Likely you won't see a huge difference--nothing that justifies the cost, that's for certain. As for the 32 Gigs of RAM, the only real benefit given the current sim would be the potential to install MSFS to a RAM disk, and run it from there. The sim itself doesn't have that large a RAM footprint, although one day it will.Back to the cpu--often the difference between 16 bits, 32 bits, etc have been compared to lanes on a freeway. The more lanes, the easier and faster you can move data through it. But as a driver, I have to know the lanes are there. All programs boil down to a set of instructions at the machine level. If the program is written with complete ignorance of the freeway being expanded to 64 lanes, it's going to go about its business the way it always did. There may be some improvement if the O/S is written with that in mind, but I suspect that FS2004 may still be ignorant of the coming "freeway" expansion. FS2006 is likely a different animal altogether...-John

Very well articulated John.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

I imagine realizing the benefits of 64 pit processors will require1. 64 bit drivers2. 64 bit optimizing compilers. The FS sources will have to be recompiled.3. Ulimately, computer busses will need to provide 64 bit data paths to permit word-at-a-time transfers.scott s..

Howdy Everyone,Well, a few days ago I read an article in Maximum PC about the Anthlon 64 processors. AMD is making two flavors of the 64. The Anthlon 64 and Anthlon 64 FX. The FX is the faster, more robust CPU. However, you'll need a new motherboard and ram. The ram will need to be buffered, or registered ram. As opposed to the standard unbuffered ram we mostly use today. It will definatley be more expensive as you need to but the CPU, MB, and ram. You'll also need to so the 64bit driver shuffle with your sound card, etc, if they even port their drivers to the new technology.. That'll be another story.32bit apps will run just fine on the new CPU. The full potential of the CPU won't be realized until MS releases there 64bit version of XP, which I hear will be going into beta soon, or already is. The other software vendors will also need to port their apps over to 64bit. But for now, 32bit apps run just great on this proc, and much faster as well.Right now,(According to Maximum PC's benchmarks) this CPU is faster than Intels 3.2GHz Pent 4. But!, Intel anwsered back with the Pent 4 extreme, which has a HUGE amount of onboard cache. I forget how much at the moment.What makes the Anthlon 64 CPU faster is that they have embedded the DDR controller on the CPU itself. No more memory latency. In fact, the motherboard doesn't come with a northbridge. Doesn't need it, the memory controller is on the CPU :-) Zoom Zoom!!Take care all!!