Sign in to follow this  
Guest farmer

Question about FS 2004

Guest Hawk19

I know you guys get tired of hearing this, but I need some help. I have been trying the diffrent tips and helpful suggestions every since 2004 came out. Here is the problem I'm having. There is a very noticable studder in the flow of the sim. It just does'nt run smooth. Like I said, I have tried all of the tips that I can find from here and other sites about clearing the "Studders", but I can't seem to get rid of them. I can keep my fps almost pegged at 25, so it's not a frame rate issue. It does this in all four veiws. It is worse when making a banked turn, or taxing around. I can adjust my sliders all the way to the left, and it still does it. I have downloaded and installed all the latest drivers for my system, except Direct X 9.0b. I'm a little afraid to install this because the site says that it can't be uninstalled. I'll list my computer specs below. This maybe a computer problem and not a 2004 problem, I'm just getting frustrated trying to get 2004 to run smooth. Thanks for any help.Hawk19P4 3.06ASUS P4T533 motherboard512mb memory80gig WD harddriveRadeon 9700 pro 128mbCreative SB Audigy 2Windows XP HomeViewSonic 19" A90f monitorLet me know if there is anything else that needs to be known about my system.

Guest simnut

Please read the threads that are at the beginning of this forum. They hold a wealth of information dealing with issues such as you are bringing up. The info there is far to great to just give in one reply. Give yourself an evening, and read. There will be answers there for you! Have fun tweakin!Harry

Guest shanwick

I have a slightly more powerful system than you have and was expecting miracles from it following all the glowing accounts I had read about how FS2004 was screaming along with everything maxed out etc., etc. with the latest all singing and all dancing kit. Several kindly souls were quick to point out that various parts of my system were not up the the mark which was why I was not achieving the holy grail.It is my belief that in areas of high density even the most powerful of systems will struggle to display absolutely smoothly. For example, I have some complex UK airports loaded and I experience some stuttering when taxying around them.I, too, notice the occasional stutter when banking hard because the system has to cope with a great deal of scenery updating as it does so.Also, clouds still have a big effect. I don't know how much weather you are setting? And I don't bother with Autogen and AI aircraft because they make big demands on system performance.I notice considerable differences in performance depending on what aircraft I have loaded. The default Cub gives me the smoothest experience whereas a complex aircraft such as the FSD Porter slows things down a bit.If you have installed WIndows XP Service Patch 1 search this formun for "Hotfix" and see if any of the replies apply to you. Also, make sure you have all non-essential background services, including any anti-virus scanning, shutdown by using a program called EndItAll. Defragment your hard disk if you have not done this.Otherwise, look at all the suggestions in the help at the beginning of this forum and try them one at a time and see what effect they have for you. And don't forget to create a Restore Point in XP before doing anything major so that you can go back a step if needs be.There is nothing wrong with the kit you have got but, as I said, don't expect the holy grail of miracles.Good luck :-)David

Guest farmer

The best thing I did was to set up another user account with nothing but the essentials running in the processes window. Tips are abundant to do this, just pick one. My studder was harddrive activity. This solution made it much smoother.

Guest abent

Farmer,I like this suggestion about setting up an account dedicated to FSCOF with just the essentials running. Could you direct me to a list of the 'absolute bare bones essential processes'? I use EndItAll and it will only close 3 out of 4 proggies/applications even though there appear to be 23 processes running according to Task Manager. Thanks, Adam

Guest daveg4otu

All the above is good advice but I have one comment to make---When I installed DX9B it slowed things down noticeably.Why? I have no idea but it definately had a bad effect.Maybe just my system .Normally I was able to reckon a worst possible case of around 17-18 FPS in high demand situations and 30fps (locked) normally.DX9B dropped things by about 20%.Luckily I keep an up to date Drive Image on a spare partition so was able to revert to previous config very quickly.Your system is more "cutting edge" than mine - it may not affect you in the same way........ DaveSystem:AMD Athlon 2000XP (@133/133)ECS K7S5A Mobo 3.1 :04/29/02 Rev BiosSiS 735 Chipset Rev 12 x 256mb DDR RAMGeforce4 Ti-4200-8x 128mb DDR AGP not overclockedAGP 1.16 WHQL . Nvidia 4403 Win9x/5216 Detonator XP Drivers2 x Maxtor 40GB HDD (7200rpm)LG 8x4x32 CDRWLG 52x CDRDirect X 9.0 Windows ME/ Windows XP dual bootBIOS Settings- DRAM Timing Ultra. CAS Latency 3T,RAS ACtive 6T,RAS Precharge 3TL1 Cache Enabled.L2 Cache Enabled.Sys BIOS Cache Disabled.DRAM Drive Slew Rating - Fast

Guest farmer

Look here http://www.blkviper.com/ click left side operating systems- this guy has a lot of info. Read carefully. Here are some more sites---pick your poison. Oh I also have FS9 on a different partion.I used Partion magic-payware, but I found it on the net for like 35 bucks,to the door. Makes it easy.http://www.pcaviator.com/articles/5_XP_tweaks.htmhttp://www.sysopt.com/index.htmlhttp://www.fsinflight.com/FSI3%20CONTENT/G...mance_tweak.htmhttp://www.tweakxp.com/http://support.micr...ult.aspx?PR=gmsI'm a old guy, not too computer literate but managed to get mine running ok. AMD 2.5 Barton 512 Ti4200 128.Don't ignore MS website they have osme good info, but ya gotta dig it out. The trick is to pick out what you feel comfortable doing and not crash ya box.Read carefully and do at your own risk.