Sign in to follow this  
Dark Moment

Alain Capt's MD-11 panel!!!

Guest kurtj

Is it payware or freeware? It sure looks cool! Does anyone know of any good sounds for the MD-11? I think I might install Fedex MD-11 at sometime and a panel maybe even this one and I would like some sounds to.

Guest OneTinSoldier

Yahoo! Thanks for the annoucement Lobaeux. :)Jim

KurtYou can't be looking very hard!Firstly, freeware, and amazing freeware at that. Alain's site (link above) is in French, English and Frenglish so you've no excuse for not understanding it.I flew his old panel (Swissair package) a lot and I can highly recommend it. I already have seven hours on this new one too! The only other panel available for the MD-11 in FS9 so far is by Marco Spada which is also worth a look; but Alain's is FAR more complex and interesting to use. There's a lot of work in it.A quick hunt in the library will also show you that iFDG have already produced a good soundset for their MD-11 models. Or maybe you haven't even found those yet .... if not, go and get them, they're great. If they're too heavy on FPS for you, then use Mike Stone's.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Lobaeux4

I whole heartedly agree with Mark. Alain's panel is awesome, I've used it since FS98, the first one I remember with cabin sounds. If you even have a passing interest in the MD-11, this panel is a must have. And freeware to boot.

Guest racartron

For any of y'all FS2002 simmers -- like me -- this awesome panel works perfectly in FS2002. And guess what?????? His stand alone ACS load edit app also works. You can configure each bird before take off -- so cool :)All I had to modify in the panel.cfg was to substitute the FS2002 GPS callout in {window04}-----------------------Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

Racartron,you read my mind, because I keep on asking myself whether the ifdg MD-11 is flyable in FS2002 as well. Is it? Did you try?And in that panel.cfg, what exactly have you changed?CheersChris

Guest racartron

It is definitely flyable in FS2002. I have an antiquated Dell XPS-T500(mhz) with 640mb ram and a GeForce 2 Ultra with 64mb ram and it does fly.I do have to live with FPS in the range of 10 to 15 but that is because of my low end system. So if you have better specs, expect better FPS numbers. I see some slowness in texture loading when switching to the spot view, but again it's due to my system. Also, Alain's panel does not affect my frame rates in the 2D mode -- I'm not using the VC option so can't comment on that bit.Regarding the panel.cfg change, I just put in a new window04 section as follows:{Window04} ;)edit: One final comment. I mostly fly low and slow stuff, but have always been a huge fan of the DC10 series and of course the MD-11, so bit the bullet on this one. Also, Alain's panel is very complex and takes some serious time in the cockpit to really understand and enjoy it, but even this is a real treat for me.:)------------------------Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

Thanks, I'll try it out. Although Alain's site keeps on crashing during download (I am on broadband).Cheers

I first tried to get in to his site about 20 minutes ago, and response time was very slow. Then I started getting "The page cannot be displayed". Now I'm getting the good ol' Error 404 for anything on his site. He may have had to pull his site down due to the incredible number of people trying to get his panel simultaneously.Joe Wagner

Wouldn't be at all surprised, Joe! When you consider how our hobby has escalated over recent years, there must be an awful lot of people trying to grab that panel right now to go with the iFDG aircraft!Which raises a good point. I do think it would be sensible of aircraft designers to treat the panel as more of a priority and - although I realise that they themselves may not wish to be bothered with it - make sure that they can get someone on board to design (or update) a good panel for any given aircraft; particularly (as with Alain's) when the panel used needs to be intregrated with the flight dynamics and handling.Mike Stone now has panels for almost all his planes on release, made by Ken Mitchell, for example. Much better than downloading empty shells.I am of the personal view that the most important parts of flightsim are flight dynamics, panel, weather, scenery and aircraft in that order. Thus the most magnificently rendered aircraft is of little interest to me unless it flies right and has a good, workable panel that can be used with it. As I spend most of my flightsim time looking at the panel (ever heard of a pilot flying outside his aircraft?!) it really seems to me to be way up on the list of things to get right.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest rogue1

Can you all cancel your downloads so that I can get to the site. ;-)TIA, Jim

Guest HeavyFan

Hey guy's got his panel. works Great with IFDG MD-11's! Now can someone tell me where the ACS.GPS files go? I never used his panel, and the readme's don't tell where to put these files?? Kinda confusing??? Any help on this would be really apprecited!! Or do i just use the Default GPS which is fine for me also?? MIKE:)

His instructions do tell you, Mike. If you install the panel correctly a ACS-GPS folder will be created and three files will end up in your main FS directory. If you have installed to a temp directory first, you'll see how things are configured.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest cw1011

Is there an alternative view option that puts the primary flight instruments closer to the center? My butt is getting sore sitting on the throttle quadrant!