Sign in to follow this  
Guest JeanLuc_

Adding more ram to boost performance on fs9?

Guest kevinti

Hi guys,I know this is a overdue question, but I just wanna confirm with reference to my pc spec below, do you think adding another 256 mb ram will definitely boost my fs9's performance in term of graphic ad framerate?I'm seeking your confirmation....Thanks :)WinXP HomeIntel 2.8 HT256 mb PC2700 333mhz DDR RAM128 mb ATI Radeon 9200(Driver=ATI Catalyst versn 3.9)17" LCD monitorSo, I intent to add another 256 mb to total of 512 mb! Is it worth the extra $ to gain more framerate and better graphic?

Guest WilliamTodd

Yes, it's worth it. I usually run 512k ram, however my ram quit working so I replaced it with my old 256k, now I have many stutters and when I switch views it takes much longer. I'm now waiting for my tech support to send me a ram replacement so I can get back to easy flying. The loss of ram didn't really affect frame rates just everything else.

Guest Mike94

You will not see much change in framerate. The textures will load faster, and the sim gets a bit smoother overall.But don't expect wonders, esp. when you go from 512 to 1GB.-Michael

Guest 737pilot

Another 256 MB is definitely worth it.I have almost same system as you, and I also had 256 MB RAM. Then I bought another 256 MB RAM, and the effect was dramatic for me. The game runs much more smoothly.To get better framerate and graphics, you'll need a stronger graphics card, like ATI Radeon 9800, but this card is quite pricey. I am satisfied with my Radeon 9600 Pro for now.Nico

If you are using PC2700 RAM make sure that both modules are the same - I mean the same manufacturer, model etc. --qnh

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest King Budweiser

I dont know, Ive got a 2200 xp athalon and 1 gig of 400 ram, I run Free ram xp pro for the memory and have never seen less than 650 meg available. I noticed no differance in anything after installing it execpt $100 missing from my pocket. It Looks really cool though, its red and shiny,.. Matches my 9800 Pro card! The biggest differance I've gotten comes from overclocking my CPU from 1800 to 1912 or somthing like that.Scottaka KingBud

Guest kevinti

Hi Guys,Thank you so much for all your input! I think I will get another 256, afterall, it doesn't cost much and it could improve the performance of my pc not just for fs9 alone!Cheers!Happy flying and I hope you guys would visit Singapore! Drop me a email then at: kevinti@stahub.net,sg.

Guest JeanLuc_

Yes of course! Microsoft advertises 256MB minimum to run XP. It starts to be useable for Office Apps at 384MB as reported from some sites, and 512MB for gamming. The effect is dramatic as more can be loaded to RAM, and the OS swaps less often to the hard drive for the virtual memory. Don't expect a significant increase in FPS, but load times, task switching, program loading and close, running more at the same time, all this will be greatly enhanced!If $ can, I would directly go to 768Mb at least, or 1GB. You definitely won't regret it, and will be prepared for more in the future!Hope this helps!

Guest kevinti

HI qnh,With reference to the ram that you had mentioned, it's definitely the best to get the same manufacturer! But, again, does it really matter or does it really causes performance and stablebility issues if I get a Kingston or other branded ram?Pls do advise.Thanks again!

Guest kevinti

Hi JeanLuc,Well,my board can go up to max of 1GB, but I will just upgrade to 512 for the time being just for fs2k4.Thank you all for your kind advices again!Cheers!Kevin@sg

Hi Kevin,Check with your m/b manufacturer as to what RAM has been tested with it. I have an Epox 8K5A2 and had a Samsung PC2700 512MB module. Added another module (different brand) and had loads of trouble, tried about four different brands (couldn't get another Samsung) with the same problem - each module was fine by itself. I got hold of two Corsair modules and they worked perfectly. Then I contacted Epox and they told me that these modules had been tested with the m/bApacer 512MB (W942508AH-6) (PC2700, DDR333) x 3 Nanya 512MB N2DS25680AT-75B (PC2100, DDR266) x 3 Transecond 512MB Winbond W942508AH-75 (PC2100, DDR266) x 3The chip names are the ones to look at - W942508AH-6, N2DS25680AT-75B and W942508AH-75I couldn't afford the Corsair modules so I got some Kingston RAM using one of these chips and it worked fine. The Kingston website should have a configurator (very clunky interface I know) - feed it your m/b and it will tell you what to use - lifetime guarantee - if it doesn't work they will take it back.--qnh

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest cw1011

Having run a number of flights with the Windows XP system monitor running, I have never seen the sim use more than half a gig of ram memory, even though I have 764 megs on board. I would not upgrade from 500megs to 1 gig of memory until it can be proven conclusively that flight simulator uses that memory above 500 megs. I've never seen it, and I run with a very small page file.

Guest christian

Yes, adding 256MB is most likely a must! (Been there myself). Is the harddrive constanly been accessed when you run FS9? This really slows the sim down, but 512MB seems to fix that (I've gone up to 1MB).Make sure you get an "IDENTICAL" RAM stick. It took me 4 sticks and 2 weeks to sort that out. The same manufacturer isn't good enough, it has to be _100%_ identical. Otherwise, you may get random crashes, and believe me it's a pain constantly having to run back to your supplier...Cheers, Christian

Guest kevinti

Hi qnh,Thank you very much for your comment. Well I have a HP Pavilion T368d 2.8c HT. I have just checked with HP that the 256 ram on their pc is specially supplied ny Siemens and that if I just bought any 256 ram to add in, it migh cause instability.I have to purchase through HP to get the same type of ram to be 100% trouble free!But , as you know, it cost an atomic bomb! But then again, this friendly guy had suggested one soliution, that's to get a 512 module ofa ny brand and I have to throw away the onboard's siemens 256mb and it is still so much cheaper for me to buy a 512 compare to buy a 256 drectly from HP for the Siemens's ram!Thanks agan!Kevin@sg