Sign in to follow this  
shermank

Nvidia Driver Upgrade problem in Windows XP Home

I have been using XP for a couple of weeks and like it. But, I cannot get it to accept an upgrade to any of the Nvidia drivers. In fact, the Nvidia Driver package does not show up in the add/remove program list. But, it shows as one of the 29xx series of drivers in Diagdx. btw, I have an NVidia Ti4200 video card.One more XP question while I have the attention of any techies:...is there a way to get into Safe Mode as one could do in earlier Windows OS? Thanks!Sherm

Guest nitram

First of all unpack the drivers to a file on your Hardrive.Second Turn Off your antivirus software (make sure you are not online too!).Third Right Click on My Computer and select Properties.Click on Hardware Manager. Expand to your Display Device and again right click for properties. Select the Driver Update option. Direct windows to the saved driver. Reboot when requested.As to safe mode just hit F8 before Xp loads the Black XP logo Screen ie after all the devices are displayed. Then select Safe Mode.Hope this helpsRegards Nitram

Make sure you have installed the MOBO's controller chip drivers, i.e., Intel, VIA, SiS, AMD, ALi. If you don't, no matter what graphics driver you have, it won't play very well with FS2002/04.W. Sieffert

No problem on that score, W. I've got an ASUS p4 mobo, all set up for red hot performance. That's never been an issue, even when I was using W98SE before the XP upgrade. But, I am still befuddled about the Nvidia drivers, especially since they do not show up in the add/remove program list. But, I can go into device manager and into display to adjust resolution, etc. But, even trying to change drivers using the device manager, I still seem to be caught in some kind of time warp...:-)Sherm

The latest Nvidia drivers (52.16), downloaded from wwww.nvidia.com have a setup.exe routine that you can execute... it will install the drivers.After that, reboot and you are done.

Bert

Guest daveg4otu

As Bert says the 52.16 drivers have an install program built in(so do all the older ones as far as I know).But if you're having problems getting things sorted it may be best to remove all the old stuff first.Open the device manager,find your Graphics card (Display adapter). Highlight it,Right click and choose uninstall.The Display adapter should then show as "Standard VGA Display adapter"(or similar words".)Restart the PC- it should detect your "new" graphics adapter.Go to wherever you have your 52.16 drivers and doubleclick setup.exe - it should install straight of.(Once you have "unwrapped" them to a folder)Dave

Thanks everyone! Problem solved after jumping few a few tweaking hoops. I picked some advice here and there, as well as a couple of tweak web sites...and everything is fine. Again, thanks for all your help!Sherm

Guest khalpay

HiiWhen My PC loads XP logo screen suddenly monitor shuts off the electric..Then I can Reset the PC and only can turn on with Safe Mode..Then I shut OFF again and Turn ONN again , it starts without any problem..I have 45.23 driver because 52.16 created some creaking sound during simulation.My card is FX5600 Ultra 128 DDR..I am in very difficult situation, what do you advise , PlsRgdsHasan

Guest allcott

When going from 4x.xx to 5x.xx series drivers, it's a good idea to uninstall the old driver first.www.guru3d.comAllcott

Guest khalpay

HiiThank you fyr furnishing ingoCan you inform me ;1-Instead of uninstalling the old driver what happens if I use XP System Load Back utility to go an earlier time where even there were not this old version of driver Not yet installed .2- I had first download 45.23 Nvidia driver then 52.16. Finally I was not satisfied with 52.16, then I went back to my 45.23 time by using this System Load Back Utility.Is this right to do ? Or still we have to uninstall the old driver.3- In XP, How we can securely and surely uninstall old nvidia driver..Your kind help will be highly appreciatedAll my bestHasan