Sign in to follow this  
Guest LLgaz

OT: Popupblocker.com

Guest Lobaeux4

Has anyone been inundated with these horrible pop ups from this company called Popupblocker.com? They use pop ups to advertise their pop up blocker. It's the only website I can see so far they does that. I can't figure out a way to get rid of them. I've got 'messenger' disabled, yet they still seem to be able to do it. I've sent a complaint to a website complaint and fraud site, but haven't heard anything yet. Very, very frustrating.

Guest simnut

Disable active scripting for your "general internet" settings. This will stop ALL popups and unwanted evil scripting affecting your computer. You may need to enable active scripting on some sites, but this is well worth the bit of hassle. You can put regularly visited sites requiring active scripting into your "trusted sites" category, where you can have the active scripting enabled. Keep in mind, most pop up stoppers allow the pop up and active scripting to start, then quickly shuts them down. Disabling active scripting does not allow pop ups and active scripting to even begin.Harry

I have a better , more permanent suggestion:DUMP IE, and go get the Firebird Broswer by Mozilla.All your popup/popunder problems solved, and It's FREEWARE too.http://mozilla.orgLook for the download button on the left hand side that says Firebird.And it's a lot faster than IE also.Regards,Joe

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest Lobaeux4

I started up Firebird, it seems faster too. I'll try this for a bit, see how I like it.Thanks for the suggestions!

Check the pop up's title bar carefully.Not all pop up ads are browser related. Some are transmitted by the Windows XP/NT Messenging Service. This feature is intended for quick notices from LAN servers and their administrators, particulrly notices of iminent server maintenence shutdowns. Messenging Service pop ups have become the latest exploit of spammers selling software that automates setting changes that can be performed by someone with a Windows XP administrative account with tools that come with the operating system.Messenging Service pop ups aren't connected with MSN Messenger or Windows Messinger either.Microsoft has announced plans to change the default startup setting for Messenging Service to OFF in an upcoming update to Windows XP. Meanwhile check MicroSoft's site for directions on disabling Messenging Service.

Robert--you beat me to it...I don't know whether Popupblocker.com was the party involved, but the Feds are looking into complaints about some vendor using the Messenger service method to advertise their Pop-up blocking software. Another way to identify the Messenger service Pop-ups--they can happen even when Internet Explorer is closed. That's how reports of this first ended up in this forum--ppl thought it was somehow MSFS related, as they weren't browsing the web and these Pop-ups would appear in the middle of their flying sessions...-John

Guest Lobaeux4

All of that happened to me. I'm thinking it is popupblocker.com, I saw the stories on the news about the Feds looking into a "service", I'm sure it was them. I called their parent company 'IDownload.com', a shady-looking outfit, no email addy, just a phone number, and left a message, asking for technical support to stop the pop ups from their company, left my name and number and asked them to call me, or I would be reporting them to Fraudwatch.com Needless to say, no call from them.I've disabled my Messenger service much earlier, so it was coming in some other way.I had asked earlier also about it being from AVSIM, as it seemed to only be this website where I was getting pop-ups. I'd switch forums, and WHAM! a pop-up advertising a service to get rid of pop-ups. Made me mad. After about two or three days, it started happening on all websites, so I figured it wasn't AVSIM. I ran HiJackThis and Ad-Aware, and of course the cookies from another service called adserv and some sort of 8AD.com (or something like that) had infiltrated my computer. I have since switched out my browser, no longer using IE or Netscape, Mozilla seems to work pretty well. Having problems with Java and Shockwave, but I'll iron those out.Getting really frustrated by 'net-scum!!

I'm with Joe, I've been using firebird for quite a while, it's great. It's fast, and I like the tabs and the fact that it doesn't have IE's vunerabilities. It also does a better job of organizing favorites and remembering passwords.

Guest LLgaz

Yep........the google toolbar is the best thing to happen to Popups since chocolate candy was invented....And I dont even have it displayed on my browzer...once its installed, you can remove it from the dropdown list and the popup and search options still work automatically.BTW, I've also turned off messenger services to get rid of those messenger popups.