Sign in to follow this  
Carob

FS004, Added AI Traffic & Multiple Runway Use?

Hello. I'm hoping someone can answer a question for me regarding the above.Because FS2004 has the ability to use all runways at a given airport, is it necessary to adjust add-on traffic to use multiple runways? I guess I'm asking because of how FS2002 worked and overlay AFCAD files. That traffic had to be sent to the overlay runways. Does anything need to be done to add-on traffic to get this to work? Is it even possible or do all AI aircraft (default & add-on) only use one runway at each airport for landing & takeoff anyway?Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.Thanks very much!!!

Hi there,by default, FS2004 already uses multiple runways, provided they're facing in the same direction. FS will direct you to the nearest runway on arrival/departure, but you can request alternative approaches and runways. Runway usage can be refined via Afcad, for example, certain runways can be used for take-off or landing only or closed altogether. Overlays are no longer needed.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

I understand that that's the way it is for the user. My question was relating to AI traffic.

But the AI traffic never ask for an alternate runway, do they?The reason I ask is in the case of addition AI traffic airports tend to get VERY busy with lots of go-around (FS2002 knowledge). In FS2004 are the AI aircraft smart enough to land on a second runway if the original intended one is busy? Does this just happen automatically? I kind of doubt it but how does this work?

Guest Anthony_D

>So was my answer :) - FS uses multiple runways by default,>provided they're facing in the same direction, no matter if>it's a user or AI aircraft.There's some interesting discoveries going on in the Project AI AFCAD Forum. With some tweaking, you can get all runways (at KORD for example) to work.http://www.flightsimmer.com/forums/showthr...p?threadid=2233There's lots of details in the above thread. The jist of it is, that fs2004 will regard any runway within 8 degrees of each other to be facing in the same direction. So, add 36 'fake' runways at five degree intervals and fs2004 will consider all runways to be "parallel" to each other!!There are many details to observe though, it's not plain sailing. Despite four hours playing with EHAM, I still can't get to runway heaven!On a side note, my Norway afcad project is complete and ready for download - all the airports in Norway, not just the Norwegian Airports addon scenery. Just search for my name in the file library.

Guest Anthony_D

>I'm confused. Does this come close to answering the>question?Sorry to confuse you! I'd say my info is for the more advanced afcad user :-)As far as ai traffic is concerned normally, it will use multiple runways - so long as these runways are laid out parallel to each other. You make no modifications to the ai traffic itself, just the airport layout.If two runways are not running parallel to each other, then under normal circumstances only one runway will be used.With the active runways, you can set them in AFCAD as being open/closed to takeoff/landing or even close that runway to traffic altogether.Hope this helps

Guest Milamber

Well I think your question has been answered. FS2004 allows for multiple runway use for both user and AI planes...The AI planes don't request a specific runway but the program will route them to multiple runways that are available. What more do you want to know?

Actually, I'd like to know how the sim tells the AI aircraft which runway to use but I don't think that can be answered. I know that you can setup/change the runways with AFCAD but that doesn't really tell me how that info gets back to the AI aircraft. I can't imagine Microsoft made the AI that smart to look ahead far enough and see which runway was going to be available at the time needed for use. Maybe this can be helped with some user tweaks but I don't know. That's why I was asking.With FS2002 I didn't really have ALOT of added traffic but the go-arounds were still rediculous. Even at airports that had multiple runways in use. I guess I'm hoping that with FS2004 and added traffic this problem is much less severe. Even trying to land and someplace like KSEA was pretty much impossible due to all of the traffic coming in. I would have to go into slew mode (in mid air) when on final and what for many planes to land before I could attempt.

Guest Milamber

Dude...All you need to know is that it works. And it does work. Its a lot better than what used to happen in FS2002.

Guest RonB49

> Actually, I'd like to know how the sim tells the AI aircraft which> runway to use but I don't think that can be answered. Assume two parallel runways running East and West (RWY 9L/27R and RWY 9R/27L). If you or an AI plane is approaching from North of the airport centerline, then you (or the AI plane) will be assigned RWY 9L or 27R (the northermost). Aircraft approaching from the South are assigned 9R or 27L.> I know that you can setup/change the runways with AFCAD but that > doesn't really tell me how that info gets back to the AI aircraft. > I can't imagine Microsoft made the AI that smart to look ahead far> enough and see which runway was going to be available at the time > needed for use. In real life and MSFS ATC assigns you a runway to land on; they know where ALL of the traffic is, what aircraft types are arriving, and they take care of sequencing the landings. Asking for a different runway is unsual, and while you may want to do it in flight sim, it is normally just for convenience (you know which side of the airport that you will park on, for example.) AI just doesn't ask for favors. I hope that this answers your questions. And yes, it works MUCH better that FS2002. R-

>Actually, I'd like to know how the sim tells the AI aircraft which runway to use but I don't think that can be answered.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Hi Anthony,>On a side note, my Norway afcad project is complete and ready for download - all the airports in Norway, not just the Norwegian Airports addon scenery.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg