Sign in to follow this  
Guest yarvelling

FS9: overall, a bad experience

>Frame-rate. It's the key of a simulation. 50 FPS should be the>minimum. But I know thousand of peoples happy with 5 to 10 fpsI agree it is the key. But don't tell me we need 50 here while we only need 24 when we are in the movie theatre. And, no I can't imagine being satisfied with 5 or 10 fps, I think it is ludicrous when someone says I have 'smooth' 10 fps but on the other hand I have had 18 fps with which I was quite satisfied. In fact the necessary fps to fool your eyes/brain is directly proportional to the pace of action you are watching - and in flight simulation world you never watch fast spinnig wheels of a stagecoach driven by John Wayne ..Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

>I agree it is the key. But don't tell me we need 50 here while>we only need 24 when we are in the movie theatre.As to frame rates & X-Plane; it's been said, that the fps have a direct relation to the flight model calculations. As to whether it's a fact or not............. I have no idea. I can still notice a difference when FS9 climbs into the 30's. As to 18 fps, if it's a high altitude flight, then it's "just" fine!L.Adamson

Guest Lurk

Hi all. It's great to post, turn off the computer, come back after a few hours, and see that the topic has been of interests for so many people. As for all those of you who go into details with system features, I unfortunally have to say that this only confirms my main disappointment over the fact that we are spending way too much time with computers anyway. Imagine if the same should apply to our washing machine. Or TV set. Or vacuum cleaner. And so on. If your toaster gave you as many problems as your PC, how long would you wait before returning it? I know, I'm forcing a comparison here, but it's just to say that PC technology is thousand miles away from being user friendly. At different degrees, we've all become experts with PC's in the past decade. But I think it's all just taking over a bit too much. Have you all noticed how ridiculously fast new processors and video cards are coming out? Don't you sometimes feel they are trying to squeeze the last bit of money out of our pockets, to maintain a huge business running which on the other end, I must admit, is giving a job to many people out there? But I don't want to take this so far. Not here.As for the kind ones who posted tips for fixing my troubles, I thank you all, but what you're talking about is my daily bread. I've been building my own system for the past three years now, and there's hardly any aspect of software or hardware matters of which I'm not fully aware. From BIOS to registry. Indeed it is suspectable that my particular combination of hardware is giving me problems, but then we go back to what I'm frustrated about; too much time wasted fiddling around, too much money spent for hardware: I've payed my video card as much as I pay my monthly rent, and believe me, I feel like an idiot. This is to say that the stuff that dreams are made of, and maybe the dream of flying in this case, lies -oh- so far away from fs9 running at 20 fps on a PentiumIV. And although I've had my heart breaking moments flying the sim, where old memories of flying to other countries with my family came truly alive, memories of hours spent staring at those big iron birds outside of airport windows, moments of wonder staring at lit instrument panels, back in the time where us kids were allowed to have a look at the cockpit during flight, well, all these memories had their chance of coming back for a brief moment. But right after that, skim milk started flowing into valleys below, mountains in the distance began trembling, and in a matter of seconds I was once again unchecking the option "restart flight simulator", and checking the option "don't send error report". This is why I'm so frustrated, and I really feel I'm at a point of no return. I fly with my heart pounding for the beauty potential lying whithin the sim, and that's why I'm tired of forgiving macroscopic errors which truly make fun of my passion for flying. But believe me, after I post this rant of mine, I will once again try to fire up my Lear and climb over the alps with the cozy whisper of the engines warming up the cockpit, as the sun settles over my left shoulder. For one last time, maybe, and if the sim lets me go that far. Oh, and I almost forgot, only after re-installing 3.9's for the second time in two days, just because I thought the Omega's were running better. But they actually don't. And yes, I've used that ATI utility to get rid of any voice in the registry referring to old drivers. Now you see what I'm talking about, damn it?Happy IFR to all of you.luca

Guest byoung

Luca,This is why I would like to see the next version of FS come out on the XBOX II platform.Then you plug it in and it works the EXACT same WAY ALWAYS!I agree that tweaking computer hardware and software is a sheer waste of time!Most of us spend several hundred bucks on hardware: video, memory, hard drive, etc.. every time a new version of FS is released..I'd rather be flying....Barry

The PC games market is dying a slow death :(I remember when PCs were far superior to consoles. Now consoles have better graphics, they are cheaper, and they "just work"

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

"The PC games market is dying a slow death :(I remember when PCs were far superior to consoles. Nowconsoles have better graphics, they are cheaper, and they"just work""Bummer! And I just gave my nephews my PS2 (hated the controller)Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest CargoMun

Sorry to hear about all those problems, Luca.Never seen an 9800 pro beeing called "waste of money" thats basically the card im aiming for next lol.Conserning how FS9 runs for me, well its pretty fluent and it strikes me that people who mention that the sim doesnt run very well also at times have very well endowned pc systems.Leads me to think this isnt "just" a FS9 problem but also has to do with 1000's of different configurations people make on their systems. Is it NTFS, is it DDR Ram, is it not, is it XP, is it Win 98.. and so on. Its hard for game developers to make a "one size fit all" piece of game I suppose and take all these settings into account. Hence maybe so many tweaks were put into the FS9.cfg file.My system is XP2000 with 1 GB Ram and a GForce4 ti4600, with me, it runs pretty steady around 20-25 down to 10's at busy airports. What gives ME mixed pleasures with this sim is the fact I cant run: 1) Any kind of real weather unless its severely stutters in the sound (probably my onboard sound beeing lousy) and 2) not able to run with water settings set to high and at same time have sharp textures using Antisotrophic filtering.This is pretty small time hangups though, mostly something I had hoped a new 9800 Pro would cure, so therein lies me worries.We keep upgrading the living daylights out of our machines to no avail.Makes me sign up to the poster mentioning the XBOX idea - I think it would work much better for all.

Same thing, but I'm going for the 9800 XT 256! Yea my dad may kill me when I give him my wish list, its the only thing on it lol.

Guest byoung

Of course XBOX II will have to support USB, and standard PC Monitors or HDTVs,:)Barry

Guest Eric

Hello, "The truth is that lack of competition is the greatest enemy of quality."It's not the competition, Cv sim is the most demanding ressource on PC if you don't want limited feature, forget about miracle, all and any Flight sim have their problems, X-plane with their constant update and FUIII, both look outaded and limited feature BORING !! "or awful texture blurriness."I have not any problems blur with fs2004, this issue have been solved with fs2004 and reported by MOST users. No horizon problems with Nvidia!Fs2004 run great with my P4 3.2 Ghz GforceFX 5600The hyped LOMAC is in the same things, HUGE PC demanding and I am not very impressed with the greenish ground, basic weather etc. UPGRADE your system for PC latest games. Happy Fs2004 Flight Simming and enjoy the TONS of users that's will not post in this thread but rather flying and enjoy it!Pc Games are NOT for everybody!BestEric

I'd like to add my 2 cents worth, but every time I express my opinions, I get attacked by many fellow flight simmers...RJ...

>a direct relation to the flight model calculations. I recall very well form FLY! that anything below say 10 fps and there was a total breakdown of flight model to the extent landing was next to impossible.Michael J.

Guest Eric

Hi RJ, " get attacked by many fellow flight simmers..."Welcome back, you will not be attacked, we all know you can't run fs2004 with a system like 3.2 GHZ and a gforce FX 5900, you always get 10 fps.You are part from the unhappy simmers small list.Eric

Lurk,I'm sorry that FS9 has not worked out for you. You can always just use FS2002 with your awesome 9800 Pro 256MB! I have both Nvidia's GF5900 Ultra 256MB (clocked at 465MHz/950MHz) and ATI's 9800 Pro 128MB (clocked at 389MHz/702MHz). Both run great in FS9. I actually like using the ATI card since it more often gives me the locked 22 fps than the Nvidia card. I also seem to like the cloud and distant fog effect renditions better with the 9800 Pro. The clouds look better to me with my 9800 Pro.I was using the latest Omega driver based on Cat 3.8. Now I am using Cat 3.9. I believe that the Omega drivers were a wee bit better in fps; I have not decided on which driver is better for my system.Anyways, I must have missed something, but did you post your detail system specs?Cheers!David

Hi Lurk, Sad to hear, but If I can tell you a fact, every flight sim have their problems or users have too much high expectation, from these fly,FUIII, x-plane or Msfs, these type of software will always be unfinished and have their problems and serious problems on various feature, scenery, atc, weather, performance, stability. They need and MUST HAVE their 3rd party addons for any sim to improve it.It's is not the lack of competition, you will never see in your life any Cv sim a complete software that's simulate close to only near 40% from real life + with no bugs, and HIGH rate FPS at any release date.You will never see any new flight sim company release and you will said this sim is hands down better then anothers because they will have also their limited feature and problems like others previous Flight sim company. I have still never seen ant flight sim near 40% perfect, they are limited for various reason, specialy for performance limitation. The worst comparaison is to compare combat flight sim to Cv sim technologie, this is the worst comparaison for many rendering, performance reason.In my case, I don't have your crash, freez,low 2d panel drop from others, low fps that's you have talked, check your bios update and remove some software running in background, be sure you have certified stuff such as RAM for you motherboard, a good CPU fan for the processor etc. Reduce your resolution etc.Do not expect to much high expectation with any CV sim software, you will be disappointed. The end of that's, CV Sim are all in the same room with their problems, limited feature, but others continue to survive and are trying.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis