Sign in to follow this  
Bman2006

5040x1024 - Flickering Mouse

I just got an Eyefinity setup going not too long ago and googled this same problem that I am having. Only I don't know exactly what to make of Jonahbird's post, because I have the same problem with every single aircraft, and I don't know what to change the panel sizes to for each one (I don't have the PMDG 747, but the main ones I'm flying are the CLS 767, MD80, and the Carenado Skylane). It happens not only when I try to bring up another panel window, but even just, like the original poster said, cycling through the various views causes the problem as well. So basically I'd have to do nothing but stay in the one VC view the entire flight to avoid the problem. While the mouse is flickering I'm still able to click on things in the cockpit, but my frames are cut by at least half.
I don't claim to be an expert. You will see in one of my posts that I mentioned that I learnt by "trial and error", but I will try to help. The flickering cursor is caused by the first window change. That instruction doesn't get completed and the flickering is the program still trying to complete it. The chosen resolution is the problem.Do you use 3 screens linked by Triple Head to Go, or some other method? Screen sizes? What resolution do you set?Of the aircraft you've listed we only have one in common - that's the Carenado Skylane. I found some offending panels in that and this is a copy of my file note on the amendments I made:Carenado C182RG - Flashing Cursor Panel cfg amendments Window /Panel /window_size= /Position `00 Main Panel don't touch 7 `01 Yoke 0.166, 0.500 7 `02 Compass 0.130, 0.500 2 `03 Panel Fuel 0.166, 0.400 3 `04 Panel Icon 0.080, 0.166 0 `05 Panel VFR 0.300, 1.000 7 `06 GPS 0.166, 0.500 1*`07 Panel IFR 0.330, 1.000 1 `08 Panel Center 0.080, 0.500 7 * Not a special, so setting doesn't alter the size. (Where is that gauge/texture? Its size must be centrally fixed)
Sorry that doesn't read as I typed it. The four headings and relevant details should be separated into columns.

Regards

Frank Jones

Do you use 3 screens linked by Triple Head to Go, or some other method? Screen sizes? What resolution do you set?
My three screens are linked by Eyefinity via my 5870. Total resolution is 5760x1080.Anyway, thanks for your help. I'll give it a shot later.

Alright, I ended up buying the Eaglesoft Citation X 2.0 today, and of course I initially had the same problem as with all the other aircraft. I simply changed the window size and position of the Window 00 (2d cockpit) and that seemed to fix it!

@JonahBirdDo you have similar settings for the MD-11, I can't get the thing working reliably on my 5040 x 1050 resoultion screen and it's driving me nuts. The MD-11 does a panel loading thing when it starts up and I when I change those values it's a crapshoot as to whether it works or not.Thanks

@JonahBirdDo you have similar settings for the MD-11, I can't get the thing working reliably on my 5040 x 1050 resoultion screen and it's driving me nuts. The MD-11 does a panel loading thing when it starts up and I when I change those values it's a crapshoot as to whether it works or not.Thanks
Hi PingPong,I don't have the MD-11, but I know a man who does! I have asked him to tell me what amendment(s) he has made, if any. I did his PMDG747 and other aircraft for him, and gave him my notes. He has since done his own amendments and I hope he has done the MD-11. I will advise you when I hear from him.I am sorry my setup is not shown. I must find out how you guys add those notes to your signature. But I have 3 ViewSonic 20" (4:3 ratio) screens with 2 nVidia GTX460 Graphics cards, SLI linked. Settings are made through nVidia Control. My overall resolution is 5050 x 1200. You obviously have 3 widescreen displays. But as the formats added to the panelcfg define the size and position of each window, my formats should suit you. My friend uses widescreens, so between us we should get you there.Frank

Regards

Frank Jones

@JonahBirdThanks a million, it's much appreciated.
Hi PingPongUnlike me, my friend has to work for a living! He has responded to my email and will check the performance of his MD-11 sometime this weekend - young family permitting! However, he does not recall having any problems and did not have to amend his panelcfg.While we are waiting, perhaps you could be more explicit about the problem you have. Although your post is under this topic about a flickering mouse (i.e the cursor flickers on screen) you do not actually say that is your problem. If it is, please answer these questions:Which panel causes the flickering? Have you checked, by trial and error, that there is only one panel that causes the fault? Do you operate in wide view or Windows? Do you have matching screens? What is their native resolution?RegardsFrank

Regards

Frank Jones

I am out of town this weekend. I will get all the info to you ASAP. Thanks for your help.

Which panel causes the flickering? Have you checked, by trial and error, that there is only one panel that causes the fault? Do you operate in wide view or Windows? Do you have matching screens? What is their native resolution?
Hi again Jonah, back from VacaThe flickering and panel failure appears to happen intermittently, sometimes everything loads okay after the initialization process and sometimes it's all screwed up. I uninstalled the plane as I was just so frustrated, but I can answer most of your questions.I operate in fullscreen mode(can't stand windowed) at 5040x1050 resolution using 3 of the exact same brand monitors at 1680x1050 resolution(the monitor's native res.).I have gone into my panel.cfg and applied the "windowsize=0.333, 1.000" or something similar(I know you have to tune this first value as some panels are bigger than others).Really the most frustrating things is that I have had it working perfectly and enjoyed some circuits as I am trying to learn this wonderful sim-plane and other times it just croaks on me.Thanks again for taking the time.

The flickering and panel failure appears to happen intermittently, sometimes everything loads okay after the initialization process and sometimes it's all screwed up.
Hi PingPongThis doesn't sound like a 'size/position' fault but if it is 'intermittent' that suggests only one panel is the problem. My friend has run his MD-11 to look for this problem, but he cannot replicate it. He is visiting me tomorrow evening (for a fly-in) and we will discuss this then. Perhaps we will run his disc on my machine. I can certainly take a look at the panelcfg. Your other answers are reassuring. I had guessed that your screens were 1680 x 1050 - 5040 x 1050 is without bezel adjustment. Just one further question: When you say 'everything loads OK' do you mean FSX plus MD-11? If you load FSX and fly another aircraft does that perform properly?RegardsFrankPS Where are you? You can see I'm in the UK.

Regards

Frank Jones

Hi PingPongThis doesn't sound like a 'size/position' fault but if it is 'intermittent' that suggests only one panel is the problem. My friend has run his MD-11 to look for this problem, but he cannot replicate it. He is visiting me tomorrow evening (for a fly-in) and we will discuss this then. Perhaps we will run his disc on my machine. I can certainly take a look at the panelcfg. Your other answers are reassuring. I had guessed that your screens were 1680 x 1050 - 5040 x 1050 is without bezel adjustment. Just one further question: When you say 'everything loads OK' do you mean FSX plus MD-11? If you load FSX and fly another aircraft does that perform properly?RegardsFrankPS Where are you? You can see I'm in the UK.
Yes FSX loads just fine, it's when I try to start a flight in the MD-11 that I get the flickering mouse.I am in Tampa FL, under the final approach to Rway 01L.

Yes FSX loads just fine, it's when I try to start a flight in the MD-11 that I get the flickering mouse.I am in Tampa FL, under the final approach to Rway 01L.
We did replicate your problem. The reason my friend doesn't see it on his setup is that his 3 screens are set in portrait mode. This creates a different screen ratio, which is obviously more suitable.I find the opening seconds irritating (he suffers this too). There is a lot of flickering of the screen image whilst it is going through its configuration. When it settles, after about 10 seconds, it looks fine (although IMHO it's not the best FSX aircraft I've seen and I'm glad I didn't buy it). Using the 'A' key to scroll through the panels, the first in the default sequence is a dummy panel and that sets the cursor flickering. So I now know one of the offenders. But, what a complex panelcfg - 47 different panels!Clearly,I have a lot of work to do and will contact you again as soon as I've cracked it. I can't believe others haven't experienced this problem. Have you searched the PMDG forum?

Regards

Frank Jones

IMHO it's not the best FSX aircraft I've seen and I'm glad I didn't buy it
First, I would like to modify that comment. It is very impressive, but very demanding. To fly properly one must first commit to a lot of reading. There's quite a steep learning curve but I would imagine the effort would be well rewarded. It's an aircraft for the serious flyer.Now, a solution to your problem. I would have liked a complete answer to my questions, as I am still not sure how the flickering manifests itself on your rig. Please reinstall the MD-11 and open FSX (no problem there I believe) then select the MD-11 and open ( do nothing else). At that point I think you will see the screen shimmering in the early steps of 'initializing' (I've never seen that before in any other aircraft!) When it has settled (after 20 to 30 seconds) and all is steady goto 'Views' in drop down menu and select PMDG panels. A long list appears - choose 'Overhead Panels' about a third of the way down. The panel will not appear and the mouse cursor will flash. That means it cannot complete the instruction. You cannot continue and have to close down FSX.The task of amending the panelcfgs is too long. I would only correct those panels that I wish to use, and take care only to ask for those panels. Any other may trigger the same problem (I found 5 culprits amongst the first 10 I tested!).To see the panels without a problem. Open in Windows on just one screen. As you work through the list you will find that many of the 'panels' are part of a bigger collection.If I were to run this aircraft in widescreen on 3 screens I would use TrackIR. That would enable you to home in on panels you wanted to adjust. I would however amend - Overhead, Forward Pedestal and MCDU (Windows 12, 30 & 34). I have done this using the PMDG format. That cures the problem for those panels.Sorry this is such a long answer. I hope it does not put you off.RegardsFrankPS I have just re-read all we have said so far. I missed this:>>I have gone into my panel.cfg and applied the "windowsize=0.333, 1.000" or something similar(I know you have to tune this first value as some panels are bigger than others).<<To which part of the panelcfg did you add this?

Regards

Frank Jones

This what I do :I load FSX in Windowed mode. Then I load the overhead.Now with the mouse take the left side of the overhead and drag it to the middel.The same I do with the right siteThen I switch to fullscreen mode.Again with the mouse take the oh at the sides and make it wider.If you take it in the middle you can drag the complete oh sideways. If it is smaller than 2 screens you will not get a flickering mouse.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

This what I do :I load FSX in Windowed mode. Then I load the overhead.Now with the mouse take the left side of the overhead and drag it to the middel.The same I do with the right siteThen I switch to fullscreen mode.Again with the mouse take the oh at the sides and make it wider.If you take it in the middle you can drag the complete oh sideways. If it is smaller than 2 screens you will not get a flickering mouse.
Your way will certainly do it, but some people don't want to go through all that. Altering the panelcfg allows you to open in full screen and to call up the panels so that they are where you want them, sized as you want.

Regards

Frank Jones