Sign in to follow this  
Guest P3_Super_Bee

Gmax ???

Guest 1929clhenry

Could someone explain the difference between FS2004 aircraft that are GMAX and those that are not GMAX. Thanks in advance.Chuck

Chuck,Gmax-created aircraft use the new floating-point operations that MS introduced in FS2002 to describe aircraft geometry. As a generalization, Gmax aircraft perform better fps-wise than their older cousins. Having said that though, there is a little confusion around the Gmax-only in FS2004 concept. Aircraft created using Flight Sim Design Studio version 2 (FSDS2) also use this methodology to draw the aircraft, so they're virtually indistinguishable fps-wise from Gmax aircraft and also work fine in the latest FS. Planes created using FSDS version 1 will also work, but they used a different methodology to create animations like spinning props, landing gear, etc. and FS2004 won't display those animations. So if it's a Gmax or an FSDS2 model, it will display properly in FS2004. The other elements that go into how the aircraft "feels", like the flight model, weight and balance config, etc. need to be tweaked as well in order for the plane to fly right in 2004, but that's another story ;-).thanks,

Guest Douglas K

>Planes created using FSDS version 1 will also work, but they used a different methodology to create animations like spinning props, landing gear, etc. and FS2004 won't display those animations.As a generalization, Gmax aircraft perform better fps-wise than their older cousins.< And I'm going to strongly disagree about the Gmax/FSDS2 aircraft being better on the frame rates, as my experience has been completely different. The higher poly counts and the shiny eye candy of aircraft designed with the newest modeling programs reduce the frame rates for me when compared with the older aircraft (that's one of the reasons I use the older aircraft in FS9). Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?As far as the flight models are concerned, you simply modify the airfile to substitute AOA rotation for AOI rotation (compensating for the loss of wing AOI & twist), correct the induced drag, and then the aircraft will fly exactly the same as it did in FS2002. C.G. problems with aircraft imported into FS9 can be solved by using the information found in this topic:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search

Hi,The correct statement would be "for planes with identical polygon counts, GMAX/FSDS2 aircraft will have higher frame rates than their older cousins". Since most older aircraft have far fewer polygons, this simplicity overcomes the speed difference. There were a few older complex planes that really killed the frame rate, more so than the more recent stuff.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Hi Douglas,Clearly you have an axe to grind about FSDS vs. Gmax, and that's fine. However, I wasn't saying incredibly complex aircraft created in Gmax perform better than very simple aircraft created in FSDS, just that poly-for-poly, the new opcodes produce more optimized models. I stand by that assessment. As for the animations, I can accept that most other anims besides the props will work -- I don't currently run any FSDS1 aircraft in FS9, so I'll take your word for that. Are you saying that having a prop that doesn't spin in flight is a minor thing, though? Sounds like a deal killer to me!As for flight models, I respectfully differ with you on how easy it is to convert older air files to work in FS9. I was on the inside during Rob Young's attempt to get our B-25 "Briefing Time" to fly just as she did in FS2002, and I can tell you he went through considerbable headaches making it work. In the end it turned out great, but it's selling his work and that of other dedicated FM creators short to indicate that it's a simple process. Anyway, that's my $.02.thanks,

Guest Douglas K

>Clearly you have an axe to grind about FSDS vs. Gmax, and that's fine."for planes with identical polygon counts, GMAX/FSDS2 aircraft will have higher frame rates than their older cousins"There were a few older complex planes that really killed the frame rate, more so than the more recent stuff.However, I wasn't saying incredibly complex aircraft created in Gmax perform better than very simple aircraft created in FSDS, just that poly-for-poly, the new opcodes produce more optimized models. I stand by that assessment.

Guest P3_Super_Bee

INHO an aircraft that doesn't show props, engines(most FSDS aircraft in FS9 only have empty nacelles), landing gear, animations, that were designed into the model ARE INCOMPATABLE with FS9. I am one that spends the majority of FS time "inside" the aircraft, but I do find it disspointing on those occasions I do venture "outside" to find that stuff missing.Though there is somewhat of a temp fix to get some things back, Though from my experience it is only the landing gear. I have heard here on the fourms with this fix the Falcon50 is in awesome shape, only some updates to the panel are needed. Can't confirm have installed it here.There is this section in your fs9.cfg file IF YOU ALREADY HAVE INSTALLED a FSDS model into FS9. {FrameCallNoWarn}crj7hz2k=1744cf680=0 It will not be there if you have no FSDS aircraft in FS9. Simpely change the 0 after the = to a 1.

:-outta

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".- unknown
"My daddy gives me up, to fight for you"- a US Military Members Child