Sign in to follow this  
Guest DanielBu

Classic Water Reflection Textures won't work for me. How about you?

Guest southie4

Anybody have any experience to report about using these alternative water reflection textures available in the library in FS9 available in the library? I was really hoping that these would give me back water reflections like I had in FS 2002.I still get water reflections in FS2002 even with FS9 textures copied and imported into the older sim. Presently I get no water reflections at all in FS9 and I've tried all the tips from this forum and others to no avail.Maybe a reinstall of FS9 could help, somehow.Any help would be immensely appreciated.RobertPIII 1 ghz, 512 dram, 64 meg Radeon 7200 graphic card, Intel mobo/815 chipset,80 gig Western 7200 hd,Win Me, 19" ViewSonic E 90f + SB monitor

Guest CargoMun

I think the problem is, that you're graphics card doesnt support DirectX 8/9 wich FS9 uses for water reflections. It works fine in FS2002 because that is DirectX 7 and the ATI 7200 only supports up to that version.At least thats what I suspect is the thing blocking it.

Guest yarvelling

Yep...sounds about right! I have those textures too, and with my Radeon 9700, they work fine...relections look lovely. I must add though, that I thought the 7200 is a DX8 card, and that FS9 needs DX9, and so the end result would be the same...card being DX8 wouldn't be able to handle the DX9 effects. I believe that all ATI cards after the Radeon 9000 were DX9, and that the likes of the 7200/ 8500 were DX8....

Guest outtatimeiii

Yup, I got a Radeon 7200 too and it does the same thing, although I knew the water reflections dont work before I got FS9. Its because FS9 uses DirectX8 bumpmapping for water. A Radeon 7200 cant render DirectX8 or DirectX9 features because it was designed using DirectX7 features. As of now, its impossible to get water reflections using DirectX7 because of how FS9 was made.

Guest outtatimeiii

The 7xxx cards were all DX7. if I recall, DX8 wasn't even out yet when these cards got introduced. For the most part the first number in a Radeon model is the DirectX version the card was designed for. Theres some oddballs now that don't go along with that, but for the most part its true. I think the Radeon 9000 and 9200 are DX8 cards, but put in the 9xxx series to make them look 'new'. I could be wrong though.

Guest southie4

Thanks for your input. It looks like I'll have to wait a bit and find room in the budget for a new video card. I suspect that will also require a new motherboard, as well. Obviously, I could use a faster CPU to boot. Ouch, this could really add up.Thanks,RobertPIII 1 ghz, 512 dram, 64 meg Radeon 7200 graphic card, Intel mobo/815 chipset,80 gig Western 7200 hd,Win Me, 19" ViewSonic E 90f + SB monitor

Guest DanielBu

Um are you saying you are getting NO reflections at all? You won't get the bump mapping, but you should be able to see the reflections when you set water effect to medium...Maybe you could post a screenshot of water?-Daniel

Guest outtatimeiii

The 7200 cant display bumpmapping or reflections at all. In FS2002 it did but in FS2004 it don't.Keep in mind that the water looks horrid on my comp, and water effect is set on high. I think I compressed the jpg too much though, oh well.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/48163.jpg

Guest Milio_B

Well, I have the same problem, even tough default FS9 reflections work fine (I have a GeForce 5200FX)...It's too bad becasue I really rather have the FS2002 ones, they look much more realistic to me.

Guest DanielBu

Strange ... anyways, set the detail texture slider to land and water and use Ed Truthans ocean textures, and you'll get pretty realistic results.