Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Ancient Brit

Strange start up problem.

Guest Paragon

I have this strange problem with fs9. Whenever I start up fs9 I get a dialog box saying "Cannot find MS Flight Simulator registry tree. Are you sure it was installed correctly" with the header for "Mag Var Init". Now I've seen other people, not many, having this problem also, and I was wondering if anyone else have had this, and if they solved it. What they have narrowed it down to is, maybe, something about some textures that they fooled around with, just like me. The funny thing is that fs9 seems to run fine.To me it looks like a program that wants to start but cannot find the fs9 or fs2002 registry tree. Could it be a module?

It could mean that it wasn't registered in the Windows registry properly or that you moved it after installing to a different area on your hardrive, i.e., moved from drive C: to drive D:, moved it from the default folder to another folder.DANGER, WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!!!Press start, run..., type regedit, OK. This opens the windows registry so be careful. Open My ComputerHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator. If you have several flight simulators installed, you will find keys for all, such as, 8.0 (fs2002), 9.0 (fs2004). Open the key you want and view the information that is in the registry. If it looks like the folder you have the flight simulator is different than what is in the key, I recommend you change the flight simulator to the correct folder. Otherwise, you can change the key to the folder you placed the simulator.W. Sieffert

Guest Paragon

Thanks for the reply. It turns out that it was a faulty module in my module folder. Figured it out through trial and error. Actually it was the PMDG options module file that gave me the hiccup.Mikkel

Glad you got it sorted. Phew! playing with the registry is very dangerous.W. Sieffert

Guest The Ancient Brit

Rather like amateur brain surgery, fascinating, but as you say, very dangerous.Denis. The Ancient Brit.