Sign in to follow this  
Guest sfgiants13

Freeware scenery recommendations for FS2002?

Guest Penta

Yeah. Any recommendations?I see a horde of scenery, but figuring out the wheat from the chaff is...difficult.Also, any freeware mod managers around for FS2002? I can't figure out how to install scenery.

Guest Rockcliffe

If you plan on flying in Canada I highly recommend Holger Sandman's BC mesh. Spectacular flying in a mountainous and coast environment.There is also superb scenery for St.John's, Halifax and Moncton airports by the Mosher brothers and both Paul Mainville and Andy Johnston have good scenery for Ottawa.BlairCYOW

Guest Penta

Um, it would probably be a good idea if you included links.:-)

Hi PentaYou`ve asked a very vague question there, m8. As you have probably noticed there is a shedload of scenery out there and everyone will have different ideas.Answer me a couple of questions and I`ll see what I can recommend.1) What sort of flying will you be doing mainly (i.e jetliners or floatplane or Instrument flying). 2) What spec is your pc? A lot scenery can really load up your system and you won`t enjoy it if it is running like a slideshow.3) Is there a certain part of the world you want to concentrate your flying in? In terms of installing scenery, the vast bulk of scenery files have pretty good readme.txt files included in the zip files. Many these days (kudos to you freeware authors) now have installers as well (click next, next, I agree ,next type thingies).Cheers Lungs

Guest danowat

Hi,Unfortunatly you'll have to do it the way most of us do, download it and try it, then if you dont like it delete it.It is hard to say if a scenery is good, because its a bit of a subjective question, I mean if you dont like flying bush sceneries, then you wont want a bush scenery no matter how good it is.You really need to narrow down what you are looking for, then go from there.The file libary has a reasonable search function, use it, and see what you can find.Dan.

Guest Penta

>Hi Penta>>You`ve asked a very vague question there, m8. As you have>probably noticed there is a shedload of scenery out there and>everyone will have different ideas.>>Answer me a couple of questions and I`ll see what I can>recommend.>>1) What sort of flying will you be doing mainly (i.e jetliners>or floatplane or Instrument flying). >>2) What spec is your pc? A lot scenery can really load up your>system and you won`t enjoy it if it is running like a>slideshow.>>3) Is there a certain part of the world you want to>concentrate your flying in? >>In terms of installing scenery, the vast bulk of scenery files>have pretty good readme.txt files included in the zip files.>Many these days (kudos to you freeware authors) now have>installers as well (click next, next, I agree ,next type>thingies).>>Cheers >>LungsThey do? If so, I musta gotten the older kinds...:-/Anyhow: I'm unsure what kinda flying I'd be doing as of yet; I just started w/ FS2002.As far as where? Well, I'll take recommendations for anywhere on the planet.

Guest Bockscar

>Answer me a couple of questions and I`ll see what I can recommend.Not my thread, but wot-the-heck ;-) Since you were kind enough to offer....1) Jet liners (B737, B727)2) AMD 2.8XP 1 gb RAM, R9500Pro3) Eastern United StatesThanks for any leads :)

Guest firehawk44

I liked the KDCA scenery for FS2K2. But one of the neat things about AVSIM is the File Library. Once opened, I check the hottest files section which contains aircraft, scenery, etc., that were downloaded the most by your fellow simmers. You can bet you'll probably find some outstanding scenery for FS2K2 there (as a start). I believe flightsim.com has a similiar feature so you should check that site too for the most popular scenery addons. Have fun and good luck.Jim

Guest Penta

>I liked the KDCA scenery for FS2K2. But one of the neat>things about AVSIM is the File Library. Once opened, I check>the hottest files section which contains aircraft, scenery,>etc., that were downloaded the most by your fellow simmers. >You can bet you'll probably find some outstanding scenery for>FS2K2 there (as a start). I believe flightsim.com has a>similiar feature so you should check that site too for the>most popular scenery addons. Have fun and good luck.>>JimThanks.:-)Yeah, maybe I am asking for objectivity where none exists.Now I have a more deep annoyance, far more solvable (I hope)...But that belongs to another thread.:-)

For FS2002 I use the FS2000 version KMSP by Ron Ackerly. This can load down your machine 'cause it has lots of 3D objects. Night scenes are excellent with lighted moving cars on access roads plus several surrounding highways. Parking ramps are lit and partially filled.I have not noticed, but the object list includes ticket counters, agents, passengers, etc., but I probably have not parked in the tight place to see all this.I did AFCAD the airport after installation to drag taxiways in line and match the extra more realistic gate count. I do have some trouble seeing night taxiway lighting, but runways remain authenticly lighted. I use seperate taxiway signs. There is one missing building but the apron exists for the Hubert Humphrey International terminal which plans may not have been available during the scenery's creation.If still around there is a review here on AVSIM. I downloaded as I recall from Flightsim.The file is KMSPAirport.zip and is 18 MB, but worth it.

Hi PentaHehe, don`t worry about the freeware installation, there are a couple of places on the www which have tutorials for scenery installation (flightsim.com I think)IF you want a good improvement to scenery, go for terrain meshes. They are easy to install and make a difference to a large area of. For example you can get terrain mesh scenery for the whole USA (490Meg download) from Simviation.com website. If you dont fancy a 1/2 gig download you can pick a state at a time. There`s also terrain mesh available for just about everywhere these days. Look for Eddie Denny`s meshes or Raimando Tamburet. In most cases fs2000 mesh files will drop straight into fs2002.As far as airports go, you could try anything by Shehryar Ansari, he has done a number of US airports and they are all superb. Also the Oshkosh Addon pack from Microsoft (freeware 20meg download) is excellent. If you like the idea of small airports (grass strips) pickup Bill Lyons freeware (now) Clipped wing Cub and look for Naji Chebeddine`s (my spelling my be wrong here but look for Naji in the scenery library on Avsim) bush strips - they`re excellent.Also, you could try picking up the cloud modifications by Chris Willis & FSW - not only do they look very nice but they also improve performance. You can also go for Ed Truthan`s water textures and Gerrish Grey`s autogen texture improvement. Pretty much all the things I mention above are available right here on Avsim, except for the USA mesh on Simviation.comYou didn`t mention your system specs, be aware that the more scenery you add, the slower FS will get. Have funLungs

Guest Penta

Ooops.My specs:Dell Dimension 8200, WinXP Pro, P4/2.0Ghz, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB.John