Sign in to follow this  
Guest rcritz

Are radios required on all aircraft?

Guest cj_flys_wmu

I must say that it is good for the wings to win another cup indeed! Currently I have about 30 or so hours of hood time. I am really interested in getting some actual instrument time, I think that I only have a couple of tenths or so. The big thing for me is the cross country time. That 50 hours is killing me. I still need about 20 more. I am running out of places in Michigan to go :-). The other day we went down to Goshen, IN. They have a great FBO and free lunch on Fridays.Take care guys!-CJ

Hi CJ,I'm about the same, I have 20 X-country PIC hours. Those 50 hours will be a long time!Bruce.BJC, Jeffco, CO

Did you all look into a Part 141 school? I don't think you need all of those hrs under 141. Lots more required ground time though. I don't plan on doing my instrument until I am done with my military commitment. Then I will use my GI Bill and do Instrument/Commercial and up to CFII with a multi rating. GI Bill pays 60% of training costs at a Part 141 school.DAVE

Guest cj_flys_wmu

Dave,Western Michigan University, as with most University programs has a 141 school. I am not doing my training there because financial reasons and I want to get into airport management. I can save money going to a 61 operation. The requirements are kind of goofy I think for 141 schools. I know at Western they divide the flying into 4 classes. You start with Private, then do some Commercial, then Instrument, then finish your commercial multi-instrument. As far as hour requirements, I am pretty sure that the commercial takes less...maybe the instrument as well. I am not really sure. One of my best friends is an instructor now for them and I could as him. Each school might be a little different as the curriculim is approved by the FAA in each instance. They have a lot of control on standizations and SOPs and lessions. It sounds like the GI Bill deal you have is a good one. I wish Uncle Sam would pay for my training :-). Take care,-CJ

Guest rcritz

Just be glad there is no longer the 200 hour total time minimum required for the instrument rating.... :)